SiouxSports.com Forum

MILWAUKEE here we come!

AZSIOUX

I'm heading to Milwaukee with my daughter. I've got a pretty excited 5th grader - getting to skip 2 days of school to watch the Sioux bring home #8! Staying at the Holiday Inn 3 blocks from the rink. We're driving to Chicago on Friday to visit my sister. I'm thinking about checking out the Oilers/Blackhawks.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in Milwaukee for 11+ years and it's a wonderful town, although it's home to some world-class panhandlers who I'm sure are gearing up for an influx of generous out-of-towners. Never hurts to throw a buck or two their way but don't believe any tales of woe where they might ask for anything more. They have an alternative high school just off of downtown and some of the students and other ne'er do wells have been known to cause trouble at downtown bus stops, so keep your heads up on Thursday and Friday. It's generally a safe place, but it never hurts to pay attention.

Some of the best times I had in Milwaukee were spent on a boat on Lake Michigan. It's a bit early in the season, but futher south along the WI/IL border I would say they are catching some coho salmon and a few brownies. Charters can be pricey, but if the fish are biting and you can get enough people, it's not too bad and it's really a blast.

I went to many Blackhawk games and one of the previous posters mentioned the lack of cabs around the arena after the games. The United Center is not in a nice area. Best bet is to park somewhere downtown, take a cab to the arena and then after the game just hop on one of the many buses sitting outside the arena that will take you right back downtown. Make sure you get on a bus going downtown and not somewhere else. Years ago, a buddy and I met Joe Sakic, Mark Recchi (sp?) and drank a few beers with Mats Sundin and a couple other unknown Nordiques after a Hawks game. It's a touristy area and I suspect players from the other teams probably still go there seeing as the bars on Division stay open all night.

Hope everyone has a blast and may your return trips all be safe and filled with championship smiles.

I lived in Milwaukee for 11+ years and it's a wonderful town, although it's home to some world-class panhandlers who I'm sure are gearing up for an influx of generous out-of-towners. Never hurts to throw a buck or two their way but don't believe any tales of woe where they might ask for anything more. They have an alternative high school just off of downtown and some of the students and other ne'er do wells have been known to cause trouble at downtown bus stops, so keep your heads up on Thursday and Friday. It's generally a safe place, but it never hurts to pay attention.

Some of the best times I had in Milwaukee were spent on a boat on Lake Michigan. It's a bit early in the season, but futher south along the WI/IL border I would say they are catching some coho salmon and a few brownies. Charters can be pricey, but if the fish are biting and you can get enough people, it's not too bad and it's really a blast.

I went to many Blackhawk games and one of the previous posters mentioned the lack of cabs around the arena after the games. The United Center is not in a nice area. Best bet is to park somewhere downtown, take a cab to the arena and then after the game just hop on one of the many buses sitting outside the arena that will take you right back downtown. Make sure you get on a bus going downtown and not somewhere else. Years ago, a buddy and I met Joe Sakic, Mark Recchi (sp?) and drank a few beers with Mats Sundin and a couple other unknown Nordiques a Hawks game. It's a touristy area and I suspect players from the other teams probably still go there seeing as the bars on Division stay open all night.

Hope everyone has a blast and may your return trips all be safe and filled with championship smiles.

As I mentioned before, the Eastbound #20 bus runs down Madison street through the Loop and it does have a stop at the Washington/State Red Line stop. The Red Line is a 24 hour train. The Chicago stop on the Red Line is a good place to start if you want to hit the Rush/State Street area. Lots of bars, clubs and restaurants. Clark and Division Red Line stop is a good stop for bars on Division and Rush street. Finn McCools is a fun pub. The #20 also stops near the Washington and Wells Brown Line stop. The Brown Line runs until 2am. Buses and El trains are 2 bucks now and every transfer you make is also 2 bucks. There is also 3 or 4 buses that run from the UC to downtown but I have never taken them so I have no idea where they go or where they stop. They are always full of fans so if you're a follow the herd type (or too many beers in to make a good judgment), its probably a safe bet to get you somewhere. The closer you get to the Loop and River North area, the better the cab availability gets. Parking is not easy in downtown especially on a weekend.

If anybody wants specific directions to places or suggestions, I can try to help. I live one mile north of the Loop and that is my usual haunt for school and such.

I was born and raised in Chicago and love going back to visit.

We're spending Friday downtown and likely will be going to the BlackHawks/Oilers game>>wearing our Sioux gear and cheering for Greene and Bochenski. Yeah, I know they're on different teams.

Last time I was at the United Center (or as it's called, the house that Michael built), I drove and didn't have a problem with parking but admit that was about 7/8 yrs ago.

We're staying at the Hampton Inn by the airport.

just curious on who from SS is making the trip and where everyone is staying?? we always have a heck of a turnout for these events from sioux fans which makes these so damn sweet to go to...

we have a group of 7 and are staying at the hospitality inn

I'll be around, and this time if I see you and Kenny Rogers, I'll stop and buy you guys a drink.

News on UND's official receptions:

Frozen Four Fighting Sioux pre-game parties

Support the UND men’s hockey team with other Fighting Sioux fans at the NCAA Division I Frozen Four hockey tournament April 6th-8th. We’re excited to host a party before the game:

Thursday, April 6th

10:30 am-2:00 pm

Buckhead Saloon Milwaukee

1044 Old World 3rd Street

Milwaukee, WI

The party will precede the Fighting Sioux 2:07 p.m. face off against Boston College at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee. Cost is $10 per person, which includes hot ham and turkey sandwiches with the fixings.

On Saturday, April 8th meet us back at the Buckhead Saloon to celebrate the Fighting Sioux from 3:00 -5:30 p.m. Cost is $10 per person, which includes chicken tenders with honey mustard sauce and snacks.

hey jim, that kenny rogers line cracked me up. im sure he will be there. i actually didnt even know the guy but al pearson asked my grandpa to give him a ride from the airport to the hotel as he flew in at the same time as us from cali. nice guy and holy crap he looked just like k-rogers :lol:

This may have already been posted but I blinked and missed it. Al Pearson's group of 40 will be staying at Hilton Garden Inn (yes, they have one in Milwaukee, too!), Milwaukee Park Place, some 10 miles from the Bradley Center.

YaneA, did all the Al crew get tickets? Where will you be sitting?

Not yet. I bought an upper bowl backup because Al said he couldn't guarantee we'd all get into ND-BC. That ticket's in the mail. Been working on tickets for neighbors. Honestly, I have devised more backup plans for this trip than the Allies had for D-Day!

Not yet. I bought an upper bowl backup because Al said he couldn't guarantee we'd all get into ND-BC. That ticket's in the mail. Been working on tickets for neighbors. Honestly, I have devised more backup plans for this trip than the Allies had for D-Day!

I hear ya! It's not been easy nor cheap but well worth any and all effort!!!

:) I left EGF after high school and have lived in Milwaukee since 1969. The Bradley Center is a great place to see hockey. It was donated to the city by a famous Blackhawk announcer, Lloyd Pettit, who married the heir to the Allen Bradley Company. Good sight lines. There are a number of good bars and restaurants east of the facility and further east, up and down Water Street. Major Goolesby's is a great place for a Sioux reunion and it is only a block south of the arena.

Coming into downtown, the best exit to take is called James Lovell. Take I-94 east rigth into the city and be carefull, it is a left exit. Lots of construction is going on for the Marquette Interchange. Turn left off the exit and head about 4-5 blocks north to state street. There is a big parking structure there on the northeast corner. The arena is just east of there. You can't miss it.

There are alot of things to do in town. Get info off the net from the visitor's bureau to start. Anywhere down by the lake is a nice place if the weather is nice. New art center straight east off Wisconsin Ave. that looks ultr-modern. The Miller brewing company has brewery tours daily. I think Harley Davidson has tours too. The Brewers are in town and the new stadium is worth the trip. Tickets start at about 7 bucks for the rafters, and you can get nice bleacher seats for 12 to 15 bucks. Good food there, too. The Milwaukee Museum is only three blocks from the arena. The have an IMax theater worth seeing. The Zoo is out off I-94 Highway 100 north which is 10 minutes west of downtown. The best shopping center in town is off I-94 Moreland Road (north) about 15 minutes west of downtown, called Brookfield Shopping Center.

Want mexican food? La Fuente's. Good rib houses are Famous Dave's, and for dry ribs try Q restaurant on the south side. Italian? Caterina's in West Allis. Indian? Maharaja on the East Side. And a great breakfast joint (they are all over town) is George Webb's. You like burgers, try Gilles in Wauwautosa. Best ice cream in town is Leon's Custard on the south side. The food is generally awesome.

The city is pretty safe, despite lots of news reports. The near north side and near south side are the rough parts of town and you will know it when you see it. But any of the bars on Water Street or near the arena are all fine.

Anybody want to ice skate while they are here, you can rent skates at the Pettit Ice Center right of I-94, south on 84th street. They have a huge oval. You can rent skates there too. It was the speed skating Olympic training site until they moved it out to Colorado.

All in all, you will have a great time. I foresee a Badger-FIghting Sioux final, so we need ALL the fans we can get.

Anybody need help or directions, I will be in town all weekend with my two brothers, and a brother in law. Feel free to call 262-894-6363.

Go Sioux!!!

:love: I left EGF after high school and have lived in Milwaukee since 1969. The Bradley Center is a great place to see hockey. It was donated to the city by a famous Blackhawk announcer, Lloyd Pettit, who married the heir to the Allen Bradley Company. Good sight lines. There are a number of good bars and restaurants east of the facility and further east, up and down Water Street. Major Goolesby's is a great place for a Sioux reunion and it is only a block south of the arena.

Coming into downtown, the best exit to take is called James Lovell. Take I-94 east rigth into the city and be carefull, it is a left exit. Lots of construction is going on for the Marquette Interchange. Turn left off the exit and head about 4-5 blocks north to state street. There is a big parking structure there on the northeast corner. The arena is just east of there. You can't miss it.

There are alot of things to do in town. Get info off the net from the visitor's bureau to start. Anywhere down by the lake is a nice place if the weather is nice. New art center straight east off Wisconsin Ave. that looks ultr-modern. The Miller brewing company has brewery tours daily. I think Harley Davidson has tours too. The Brewers are in town and the new stadium is worth the trip. Tickets start at about 7 bucks for the rafters, and you can get nice bleacher seats for 12 to 15 bucks. Good food there, too. The Milwaukee Museum is only three blocks from the arena. The have an IMax theater worth seeing. The Zoo is out off I-94 Highway 100 north which is 10 minutes west of downtown. The best shopping center in town is off I-94 Moreland Road (north) about 15 minutes west of downtown, called Brookfield Shopping Center.

Want mexican food? La Fuente's. Good rib houses are Famous Dave's, and for dry ribs try Q restaurant on the south side. Italian? Caterina's in West Allis. Indian? Maharaja on the East Side. And a great breakfast joint (they are all over town) is George Webb's. You like burgers, try Gilles in Wauwautosa. Best ice cream in town is Leon's Custard on the south side. The food is generally awesome.

The city is pretty safe, despite lots of news reports. The near north side and near south side are the rough parts of town and you will know it when you see it. But any of the bars on Water Street or near the arena are all fine.

Anybody want to ice skate while they are here, you can rent skates at the Pettit Ice Center right of I-94, south on 84th street. They have a huge oval. You can rent skates there too. It was the speed skating Olympic training site until they moved it out to Colorado.

All in all, you will have a great time. I foresee a Badger-FIghting Sioux final, so we need ALL the fans we can get.

Anybody need help or directions, I will be in town all weekend with my two brothers, and a brother in law. Feel free to call 262-894-6363.

Go Sioux!!!

WOW!! You're fantastic!!! Thanks for all the info and volunteering to help.

Just got a room at the Hilton about a block away from the Bradley Center. Got it through a contact of mine. Just wondering if anyone else is staying here. Never met with anybody on this site and would like to meet up and through down a few. Can't wait til next week. Go Sioux!

I realize I am new to SS but I will be there and my brother is flying in from Ohio to go with me. No wife no kid, just beer and hockey. Sounds like a damn good weekend to me. We got a room about 9 miles from the Bradley Center but taxi's are a good thing. Hope we are skating around Saturday night with a large trophy. Go Sioux....My brother heard of a cool bar in mIlwaukee and I guess it is themed after like a James Bond type of place. Sounds cool. Hope everyone has fun.

I realize I am new to SS but I will be there and my brother is flying in from Ohio to go with me. No wife no kid, just beer and hockey. Sounds like a damn good weekend to me. We got a room about 9 miles from the Bradley Center but taxi's are a good thing. Hope we are skating around Saturday night with a large trophy. Go Sioux....My brother heard of a cool bar in mIlwaukee and I guess it is themed after like a James Bond type of place. Sounds cool. Hope everyone has fun.

It is called the Safe House. About 6 blocks from the arena downtown. It has a secret passage way. Kind of fun.

Let's get this thread back on point:

Man there is no way Michigan deserves that many championships given all the home ice playoff advantages they have had.....and don't even get me started on the Gophers.........

Vaht!!!! :lol:

Did you even read the name and topic description for this thread. Quit being such an antagonist, YOU ARE NOT MICHAEL PRPICH!!! :love:

Go Sioux!!!

I do have a question. We are coming on Amtrak and staying at the Ramada Inn downtown. On the map it looks like it is just a few blocks walk to the hotel, but it crosses 794. Is there a way to walk across? It is hard to tell on a map. :love: