SiouxSports.com Forum

Michigan Tech

jimdahl

A sweep by Tech this weekend would give them a tie with UND for 8th.  Personally, I think this is the weekend that UND pulls out some points.  (Keep in mind that UND has played two more games than Tech).

I did notice in the full WCHA standings that despite having similar records, UND has a much higher scoring offense than Tech.

This could be what the doctor ordered. I think we could get back on the winning track with sweeping 4 games against MTU, Sweeping two games with Duluth that would make 6 wins, and then, we split with Denver and take three from the Gophers. I think we can do it... That would put us at about 18-15-2 :) I know that is sounding pretty condifident but why not if we loose any of the games to Duluth and MTU that is not exceptable... :(

(Edited by Goon at 1:49 pm on Jan. 21, 2002)

(Edited by Goon at 1:54 pm on Jan. 21, 2002)

Goon, you and I are riding the same wagon here.  I guess I am the eternal optimist and I was really thinking the boys had a great shot to sweep AA and to take a game from CC.  See what happened.

So I don't know what to think, really.   However, going into this weekend I again am expecting to sweep.  I really think our team is capable of beating some teams and finishing better than 8th.  I think this weekend we will show there IS a division between us and at least MT and UMD.  Maybe I will get egg on my face again but dammit it is time this team asserts itself and someone starts to feel pain.  

They have a chance to finish with a pretty good record in this last month and a half of the season.  Let's see if they can pull it off.

The guys NEED at least two points this weekend.  Not only for standings, but more importantly as a reward for hard work.  The work ethic seemed to be there at CC, but they just didn't have the horses to get two or more pts.  Hopefully, they transfer that desire and drive to the Tech series.  Can't take Tech, or anybody else, for granted, but if they play was hard as they did at the GLI, they should be able to bring home some points.

With 10 games left this team could go 2-8 just as easily as 8-2.

I normally can figure out a Sioux team by now. Not this one. They seem to run hot and cold. I guess it is the freshman factor (inconsistency).

However, I know that most of them haven't played on a team with a losing record for a long, long time.

I'm hoping that they play the rest of their season for pride (meaning to finish over 0.500). If they do that, other things will take care of themselves.

The schedule is rather favorable.  We always step it up for Minnesota (including a split earlier in the season).

We play Tech 4 times -- hopefully we'll pick up SOME points there.

And 2 games against Duluth, the #10 team.  Of course, they might be viewing us as their opportunity for a win or two, also.

And, we end the season hosting Denver at REA.  We can dream, can't we?

I hope UND should be able to sweep if they keep playing the way the have. ;)  I think anything less than a sweep would be not good.

I also don't want to see too much pressure put on the boys but this is not asking the impossible...

When I think of this weekend from MTU's perspective, you know they are absolutely licking their chops to get a piece of this "weak" Sioux team.  I hope the Sioux realize this going in and play with passion.  When they do, they have really been able to rattle some good teams.  It's time to earn points in the conference standings.

I'd like to see the Josh/Jake show again this weekend in goal; I'm not sure which night for who, though.

As usual, any input from the coach's show would be appreciated.

Well on the Coaches show tonight I guess Blaiser and Sertich will be a taped interview. Sertich was supposed to call the TIM and SWIG show this moring but never actually got around to it. I guess UND hockey is leaving today/tonight after practice. I will still listen though.

Thinking of coaches show Gene Robuck was pretty tough on his women last week, the team has only lost like 3 or 4 times this year and he was talking as if they Sioux women were a botom tier team.

If we lay an egg in the games this week it is going to be a tough two weeks of practice. I really think if UND plays the level they are capable of playing it should be a sweep. The Sioux still need to forcheck and crash the net, because you know a Mike Sertich coached team is going to play rough and run the net...

Goon, you were talking about tough practice if they lose this weekend against Tech, but does anyone know if they were given a bit of a rest this past week?  It seems almost like they would need it if they want to keep everyone healthy!  Within a span of a week, starting with the Alaska series, we've heard of D. Hale, Kollar, Schneider, and Spiewak getting hit with the flu, not to mention Fornier earlier this season, although that doesn't really help the point here.  ;)  Maybe they should have just worked on mentally picturing themselves sweeping this weekend, instead of regular practice.  ;)   They definitely have the potential to steal a few, and I can't wait to see if they pull off an upset going into the playoffs, assuming we are out of the running for home ice.  ;)  I also hope that Brandt and Siembida split the series this weekend.  Brandt played extremely well against CC, and I think he's proven that he shouldn't be benched any longer.  Keep giving them both experience.

Always the eternal optimist but I really have to think we are going to get well this weekend.  I think this team is close to playing very well, and I hope they figure it out this weekend.  Time will tell.

The road to a solid finish starts with one game. Tonight.  Win every shift, fight every faceoff, clear every puck, SHOOT the puck!

Attack.  Crash the boards.  Finish checks. Crash the NET!

I'm ready for some HOCKEY!

OK, let's go Sioux, have a good weekend.

One nice thing about playing out East is that I can get to bed a little earlier.  The CC games ended 11:00 or 11:30, then you have a little while to check the message boards to get some feedback, and it's after midnight.

And you college students keep your thoughts to yourselves about my bedtime.  

Another nice thing... I obtained a ticket to the Saturday Sioux-Gopher game.  

What I'd like to see this weekend (not predicting, just wishing):  4-2, 7-3 sweep, no suspensions, no injuries.

Well, FINALLY, UND's top line shines as Skarperud gets FOUR POINTS.  He really has looked good since being moved up to the top line.  Also, after moving Bochenski back to the top line, they have looked dominant at times.

In an article in this morning's Herald, Blais said he is STILL looking at the #5 slot.  That may not be very likely, but here's to the will to win!

UND has had an incredibly hard season so far.  I've not been kind to the team, as I truly believe they have underachieved to the tune of about 5 games!  However, I continue to listen-in every chance I get and hope for the best.

Go Sioux.

I'm with you Kuhninca, the team hasn't met expectations, but it sure feels nice to get a win finally.  One thing this season will do for us is make sure we don't take winning for granted.  Frankly that was starting to happen for me the last couple seasons.

One game at a time.  The next step is tomorrow night.  Keep playing aggressive, smart hockey.

Good job Brandt with a solid job in nets.  Sioux have a couple solid goalies to live with for quite some time!

Let's see another effort tomorrow like tonite.

During Blais' postgame comments last night, he made an on-air appeal for Palmiscno to "get home and answer the phone."  Apparently, they want to play him tonight.  If a player gets injured, is it allowed that an extra player can make the trip?

Go Sioux

P.S.  Great article in today's Herald:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/2546361.htm

Well it's nice to see a pretty broad-based effort last night.  Good win for the team.  

It's nice to see some of the pieces finally finding their place in the puzzle.  Hopefully, they build on this and keep working hard.  Let's go for another strong win tonight.  Still looking for this team to make some noise in March, and perhaps spoil the post-season hopes for another program or two.  ;)

Posted by me on Friday:

.What I'd like to see this weekend (not predicting, just wishing):  4-2, 7-3 sweep, no suspensions, no injuries.

Sweep, total goals 10-4; not bad.

No suspensions - good.  I was wondering if Schneider was going to get the gate with his 5 in the third.

Injuries - rats.  I hope Siembida, Connelly and Fournier are OK.  They are all important in their own ways.

Keep it up Sioux.  Now let's play the high-energy game against MInny.

jk, you said it somewhere else.  We have to remember this is Tech we were playing.

However, there are lots of good positives out of this weekend.  Good effort, and it sounds like we played pretty decent hockey.  The team will have good thoughts to dwell on for 2 weeks until the goofers show in town.  Hopefully there will be about 6 inches of warm snow falling when the goofer bus shows at REA so the fans can show their support!

I am anxious to hear on the injuries.  As all, I hope they are not serious.

Man, it feels good to get a sweep again.

Siembida has an ankle injury, it sounds like someone rolled over it, hopefully it won't keep him out long. Connelly according to Blaiser has been hurt most of the year and he is going to have surgury right after the season ends. Same with James Massen, who has a bad shoulder as well. I know that Tyler is just starting to feel better after his mugging in Minnesota...

Like most teams they are held together with tape and ice. Just imagine if this was an NHL team, ouch they must have more ailments. They go trough 80 games of this an not the ussual 35-40 games college go through. Actually I think UND has done pretty well with injuries now if we can start pulling down some wins...