SiouxSports.com Forum

I ONLY WISH THE BEST FOR RYAN P

Driveforshow

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'specifics' is sounding an awful lot like Brendan Morrison in 1998. Hey, 'specifics,' THE BEST TEAM WON!

Specifics just crawled up from the high school thread. Kind of like the cocky 11 year old who thinks he should be sitting at the adult table for Thanksgiving dinner. Just say "no specifics - back to the kiddie table, at least until you know what in the hell you're talking about".

Lucia said that Ryan Potulny has been offered a contract by the Flyers on the PA & Dubay this morning.

As reported on www.twincities.com today, the contract ball is in Danny Irmen's court, too. Too bad that my last memory of him in a Gopher jersey just might be me yelling at him "where's the jersey pop now, Danny?" after the Holy Cross game.

What about what Elliot has done the last week?

I think he deserves some serious consideration.

He hasn't given up a goal in how many periods? 11 and a half.

Perhaps we should have been promoting Parise this year.

I agree. That's why if Carle wins the Hobey, it's no upset. Same thing if Ryan wins. If Collins from HE wins........ THAT is an upset.

As reported on www.twincities.com today, the contract ball is in Danny Irmen's court, too. Too bad that my last memory of him in a Gopher jersey just might be me yelling at him "where's the jersey pop now, Danny?" after the Holy Cross game.

I expect Potulny to sign, but I really do believe Irmen will be back. Irmen said the only way he'll sign is if the Wild promise him that he'll be in the NHL next year and not the AHL. I can't see the Wild doing that. They are very patient with young players and not to mention, cheap. Lucia also said that he is VERY confident that Erik Johnson and Kessel will be on the team next year. He also mentioned that Hirsch and Hagemo will both be back as well.

When it's all said and done I think Potulny will be the only player to leave early.

I expect Potulny to sign, but I really do believe Irmen will be back. Irmen said the only way he'll sign is if the Wild promise him that he'll be in the NHL next year and not the AHL. I can't see the Wild doing that. They are very patient with young players and not to mention, cheap. Lucia also said that he is VERY confident that Erik Johnson and Kessel will be on the team next year. He also mentioned that Hirsch and Hagemo will both be back as well.

When it's all said and done I think Potulny will be the only player to leave early.

Donny says things that aren't completely accurate quite often though.

Donny says things that he really doesn't mean quite often though.

Maybe to the media yes. But my brother talks to Lucia on a weekly basis and Lucia says the same things to him every time. He fully expects Kessel to stay and Johnson to come for a year, maybe two. Johnson's parents are long time season ticket holders and he accelerated his studies to make sure he got to play college hockey for at least one year.

Well, if the track record for first and second overall picks holds (and Kessel is actually picked one or two overall), Kessel will not be back. He did well at UM and probably has gone as far as he can there...IMHO, Toews is on the bubble and if he's chosen two or three, he might move on too...I hope not...

Well, if the track record for first and second overall picks holds (and Kessel is actually picked one or two overall), Kessel will not be back. He did well at UM and probably has gone as far as he can there...IMHO, Toews is on the bubble and if he's chosen two or three, he might move on too...I hope not...

Irmen and Potulny are used to success at every level. I find it hard to believe they will leave without another shot at the title. I forgot about Hirsch. He led the Gophers in scoring the last season he participated in and I bet the Gophers would really enjoy his return. Just curious, who do the Sioux have coming in next year for freshman? I wouldnt expect many because of the generous amount they have this year. Any info?

Irmen and Potulny are used to success at every level. I find it hard to believe they will leave without another shot at the title. I forgot about Hirsch. He led the Gophers in scoring the last season he participated in and I bet the Gophers would really enjoy his return. Just curious, who do the Sioux have coming in next year for freshman? I wouldnt expect many because of the generous amount they have this year. Any info?

According to Heisenberg , the Sioux have Chris VandeVelde, Jake Marto, Michael Forney, Chay Genoway, and Darcy Zajac coming in next year. I'm guessing VandeVelde, Forney, and Zajac will be here for sure. I'm not sure if the other two will be told to wait or not.

That is a tired argument. Most of these guys have had success at every level. Zach Parise and Brandon Bochenski in particular were used to success at every level. Bochenski was on the state champion Blaine Bengals and the USHL champion Lincoln Stars. Parise won at every level, at SSM and in the World Juniors where he won gold. However, money talks and if they are ready, they should go. If they are not, they should stay.

If the Sioux players all return, they will have scary talent, at least on par with UM. They will also have Darcy Zajac, Chay Genoway, Michael Forney, Chris Vandevelde and Jake Marto. I'm sure that the Sioux will be just fine next year and really will not be in awe of the Gophers.

This quote was just posted on Fox Sports by Spector. He's talking about the Pens and rebuilding...

The Penguins stand a good chance of landing the first overall pick in this year's draft, where they could get a shot at such top prospects as Phil Kessel, Johnathan Toews, Jordan Staal (brother of the Hurricanes Eric Staal), Michael Frolik or Niklas Backstrom.

I get a little uneasy about Toews being such a high pick (as I stated above). I predict that if the Pens choose first, they will take Toews because he already has an established relationship with Crosby...

This quote was just posted on Fox Sports by Spector. He's talking about the Pens and rebuilding...

The Penguins stand a good chance of landing the first overall pick in this year's draft, where they could get a shot at such top prospects as Phil Kessel, Johnathan Toews, Jordan Staal (brother of the Hurricanes Eric Staal), Michael Frolik or Niklas Backstrom.

I get a little uneasy about Toews being such a high pick (as I stated above). I predict that if the Pens choose first, they will take Toews because he already has an established relationship with Crosby...

I think the Pens would either take Erik Johnson(most likely), or Toews(not too good of chance) if they get the first overall pick. Johnson could be one of the best D in the game in the future, and the Pens definetely don't need another top end scorer(Kessel), they have plenty of those. That's not a knock on Kessel at all, it's just what the pens do and don't need. If they really wanted Toews and had the first overall pick, they could trade down to the 2nd or 3rd pick and get something good in return, and still get the player they want.

You all see Toews play every weekend and you don't think he is the top pick?

He might be the best player on the Sioux right now from what I've seen. If he returns to the college next season he will toy with the opposition. He has 20pts in his last 12 games which the first several and the last couple have been do or die for the Sioux.

He has the NHL body. Like Parise and Vanek, he may return for another year, but I'd be surprised if you all aren't worried about it all summer.

The same is true for Kessel, but as pointed out here so frequently he has facets of his game that need improvement.

He might be the best player on the Sioux right now from what I've seen. If he returns to the college next season he will toy with the opposition. He has 20pts in his last 12 games which the first several and the last couple have been do or die for the Sioux.

He has the NHL body. Like Parise and Vanek, he may return for another year, but I'd be surprised if you all aren't worried about it all summer.

The same is true for Kessel, but as pointed out here so frequently he has facets of his game that need improvement.

I think the biggest difference with Toews is that he isn't even 18 yet, though he is a very mature young man.

Toews is a very young kid there. I don't see him playing in the NHL at 18 years old.

Toews is a very young kid there. I don't see him playing in the NHL at 18 years old.

I might be inclined to agree with the Johnson sentiment above, except that the Pens are looking for an immediate improvement and the D position usually takes a few more years to develop, with notable exceptions (Pheneuf (sp??) being the most notable). If they take Toews, maybe the saving grace is his age... Wasn't Crosby 17 when he started?;)

Also, NHL central scouting has Toews at 3, whereas another service has him at 2, ahead of Kessel.

I might be inclined to agree with the Johnson sentiment above, except that the Pens are looking for an immediate improvement and the D position usually takes a few more years to develop, with notable exceptions (Pheneuf (sp??) being the most notable). If they take Toews, maybe the saving grace is his age... Wasn't Crosby 17 when he started?;)

Also, NHL central scouting has Toews at 3, whereas another service has him at 2, ahead of Kessel.

I believe crosby has a september birthday, so he would have just turned 18...but remember he is a generational talent. Not any ordinary number 1 pick can step into the NHL at 18. With that, I think Erik Johnson can. He has the size, the speed, the strength. If Pittsburgh wins the lottery, and takes him first, I don't expect to ever see him face the Sioux.

Ryan's stats will hurt him because of the significant number of goals coming against sub-par competition. (Look at the fraction of his goals that came against UAA.)

Does DU get to play games against "sub-par" competition, or just Minnesota? ;)

That said, if I got to vote for the Hobey my vote would go to Carle or Elliott. It's not that I think Potulny wouldn't be deserving, but I think both Carle and Elliott had a more outstanding year.

I don't see Toews ready for the NHL either. While he has great height and weight for a 17 year old, he is not quite as strong on his skates as he could/should be. Another year of physical maturation and he could very well be ready. He has taken some horrendous hits, especially this past weekend against Michigan. While he popped right back up, I think it would be better for him to add another year of age so those kind of hits aren't quite so devastating. Give him the skate stability of Stafford or Oshie and he will tear up the WCHA. Then he will be gone.