SiouxSports.com Forum

Prideonice is no better than Iraq

U2Bad1

My $0.002. I was one who thought the ban was harsh for one post. But, according to Sal and UPB they saw a pattern in U2Bad's posts and the post in question was anther example in this pattern. It's their board and they run it very well, very fair, and they are very accomodating to any questions/thoughts/ideas from goofballs like me. I guess the moral of the strory is respect.

My philosophy when I post here is simple: Don't be antigonistic. This is a Sioux board for Sioux fans and I feel I should behave as though I'm a guest at someones house. I may not agree with their strange customs, behaviours & color schemes, ;) but I'm still a guest and should show respect for fans of the Sioux.

My opinion is this board is well run and intersting to peruse simply because the majority of the posters know their hockey so their posts are informative.

It would be a differenct story if SCSU had a board..... :0;)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U2 - seems like their are a couple fans on the POI site that just having a difficult time with people disagreeing with them.

Teams often have times when players see little or no ice time for various reasons. Whether bad play the previous game, hasn't clicked with his linemates, or there are just better players. The 3rd and 4th line have always been "fill-in" players. They are there to give the top two lines a rest. That is just the way it is.. Hell, there were a couple guys on the 1980 USA gold medal time that didn't touch the ice during the entire Olympics

I think you were right on with your comments and from that particular thread, have no right to be banned.

At least Greyeagle stood up for you!

Sal does not have a history of banning people (you are the 3rd I know of, one who was let back a week later) and is usually quite liberal in his "moderating" of the board.  As far as I can tell he holds no grudges and welcomes anyone to post.  But he has always said that POI is not USCHO, the board is geared towards the Gophers and bias will run high because of.  Don't expect the fairest discussion by all posters.  The same holds true here.  

I agree that POI has the "right" to run their forum as they see fit. I also agree that it nice to have a forum apart from uscho where you can post something about your team without immediately getting ripped by 10 other opposing teams' fans.

Having said that, your "the same holds true here" comment is misleading IMO. The thread that got U2bad banned is tame compared with some of threads in this forum. Obviously you haven't read anything by "JBB." JBB has 181 posts. Almost all are anti-UND and antagonistic. While a couple of his posts were removed, he still is allowed to post here. I'm not saying POI has to have the same amount of tolerance as this board, but it is fair to point out that the standards are different on the two boards. And it is also fair to point out how "thin-skinned" POI is for big-city boys. :0

Couple of things....

1 - Sioux fans like dagies, Goon, Scott etc.... have been posting on POI for quite a long time. They are able to talk about the Gophers, the Sioux, and WCHA hockey without getting the other Gopher fans on the board all riled up. In fact, I would call them friends. U2bad comes on the board and gets the boot in a matter of months. Why is it that all these other Sioux fans can play nice, but U2bad can't?

2 - Regarding banning people on POI: there is no doubt that there is a pro-Gopher slant to our board. We intend to keep it that way. But there have been just as many Gopher fans locked out of the board as there have been non-Gopher fans. Plus, there are plenty of St. Cloud, UMD, and UND fans that get along with everyone just fine. So this prideonice = Iraq stuff doesn't fly with me. I know that you guys have a civil discussion on this board. Please don't blame us for wanting to keep the discussion civil on our board. There have been tons of new people coming to the board since last season, many of which want to try to wreck what we have going at prideonice.com.

3 - Feel freel to rip Koalska, Potulny, or Vanek, but please stay away from Roberg. He is a good friend of many people at POI and he finally got his moment to shine as a Gopher. Apparently U2 bad meant his comment in a positive way. The vast majority of people on POI didn't take it that way. Also, U2bad provided absolutely no context for his comment. That coupled with the fact that it is hard to find another circumstance where he had anything positive to add, I am not surprised that it got the reaction that it did. He had some interesting info on Sioux lines for the Gopher series, but I am not sure why he decided to hang around after the series. There didn't seem to be any desire to add anything positive to the discussion.

4 - U2bad didn't put a valid email address in his profile. Thus, it was not possible for us to contact him and resolve the differences that we had. Plus, people who just want to stir the pot in internet message boards generally want to remain anonymous. This board requires the user to enter a valid email address when they register. We do not. This opens the door for anyone to come in off the internet and post anonymously on our site and generally be a jerk (for example, that gfpuck guy who got booted right after the UND/UMN series).

Like I posted on POI: I don't want our site to become know as the place where newbies or non-Gopher fans get booted. On the other hand, we are willing to boot people who we perceive to be a threat to the future of prideonice.com. In other words, it is our goal to prevent POI from becoming a place like USCHO, which if filled with nothing but trash talk.

If U2bad would like to get his account reactivated, I would be happy to talk to him about it. I would like nothing better than to patch things up, and get on with talking college hockey.

Here is my name, email address and phone number. Please feel free to contact me if you wish.

Kyle T. Baron

952-210-9848

kyletbaron@yahoo.com

UPB

Shane K's siouxhockey.com was a wonderful site and the message board got heavy traffic, from fans of many different teams, which led to some classic flame wars (Taz Boy vs. hobeydan, anyone?). One poster (who called himself a gopher fan BTW) singlehandedly killed that site - by the time Shane instituted a registration system to filter him/her out, most regulars had moved on and the site died.

Hobey Dan = Spehar?? Maybe.

Speaking of what happened to Hobey Dan, what ever happended to Spehar?

And where is Teeter Wynne playing now. He was playing in Europe and I lost track of him after he left the Steelers. I think he made a brief stop at Fort Wayne.

Hope someone knows and thanks in advance

blame dagies for inviting us.... :0

as for the whole U2 thing, bear in mind that is is a GOPHER board at POI and just like people can get banned anywhere, showing repsect of the board you visit is a good idea. The Roberg comment was a nail in the coffin of the whole deal. I felt that U2 was trending towards a flamer of Gopher hockey and don't really feel too bad about the whole thing. The way I understand it the ban is tepmporary and w/ some talking to Sal U2 can get back in. I appreciate good commentary from opponents and U2 had some of this. But with some of the other comments he was making it caused some problems. U2's blathering and whining here reminds me of a child who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and is trying to justify his actions.

The other thing that UPB pointed out is U2's lack of usign a valid e-mail addy. Just like HERE that is grounds for the boot.

If I ever post here again, be sure I would be mindfull of things I say, being in enemy territory, as most regular UND fans at POI do.

That said, I am sure if I started posting here about Parise being ONLY an above average player, I am sure that would ruffle a few UND fan's feathers....keep that in mind when you judge POI and Sal.

My worthless $.02

WPoS

Wow - Blast from the past. Whatever happened to Hobey Dan? He was just as bad on the Gopher Athletics site as he was on the Sioux site. I guess once Spehar didn't win the Hobey he disappeared. :0

I've been asking this for a year now.

He was a laugh a minute and whoever mentioned Taz vs. HobeyDan hit it right on the head. I miss that!

Right wrong or indifferent I think this situation has crystallized one point. USCHO is like the community center. POI, Siouxsports.com, etc are "home" boards. When you are not a member of the "home" fan base you are essentially viewed as a "visitor". Therefore it is desirable, and even expected, that one behaves as if you are a guest in someone's home.

If you can do this you can still have respectful disagreements and be welcome. If not you put your "welcome" in jeapardy.

To me this all makes sense and is reasonable. The question is how do you define proper behavior as a guest? And to that we all have different standards and it is up to the head of the house to decide the "house rules". All well and good. It is their house, they maintain it and have the right of refusal of all who enter.

I can't say that I have always been this respectful but I have, in general, tried to do this.

To answer the question above on why anyone would post on an opponents site, there are a few reasons:

1. POI has a number of knowledgeable and enjoyable posters and reading that site can be informative and interesting. At times I enjoy adding to or commenting on that discussion. I also find it interesting to communicate with other teams' fans. I do post on USCHO but that is just too chaotic. Much easier to have discussions on this board or POI.

2. DE needs accurate information

3. Posters on this board are tired of me already.

I appreciate the opportunity to post on POI, and welcome more fans of other teams to this site as well. We have to remember these sites are private operations and not publicly run, therefore no one has a particular "right" to say anything.

This was my comment. I did review your posts and I was pretty far off base.

I was biased against you for your long rant with JustinJohnsonFan on whether Parise was overrated where you were antagonizing an obviously immature poster.

It truly seems that post may have been the exception, but obviously the impression it left wasn't a good one.

Being a Sioux supporter you will be held to a higher standard on POI.