SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Defections begin

Goon

ARLE LEAVES DENVER FOR NHL

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2006...carleleaves.php

It seemed all but certain after Denver lost in the WCHA first round last week that the Pioneers' season was over. But star defenseman Matt Carle had to wait a week to be sure.

With Sunday's announcement of the NCAA Tournament selections, Carle knew for sure, and immediately signed a contract with the NHL's San Jose Sharks, foregoing his senior year.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Startribune.com blow hard Sid Hartman, the two ND boys that play for the Gophers won't be back next season. We can only cross our fingers and hope.

Edited by Goon

I have it on solid authority that Oshie will be back. Not sure about Toews, Stafford, Smaby, Parise, and/or Zajac. I would think Lee and Finley and rest of Frosh are long shots to leave after one year.

Hopefully we won't have to worry about it until mid April. :angry:

Smaby is gone, from what I remember from last year, he was asked by the Lightning last year to sign, but he said no cause he wanted to win a national title. But I figure no matter what after this year he is gone. Anyone else remember hearing this. :angry:

We can only hope that Irmen and Potulny will be gone after this season. They certainly are having good enough years to leave early.

I don't expect any freshmen to leave for the Sioux, but I wouldn't be surprised if we lost the trio in Stafford, Smaby, or Zajac. I hope that we can keep one (maybe two...crosses fingers) of those 3 players.

what we need is 3-4 UND alum who have 50-100 million dollars each. then setup an unofficial trust fund for after sioux players graduate. if you play UND hockey for four years and graduate from UND, you get 1 million. that would hopefully help keep a lot more people around for their senior seasons. alright, who has the money?

We can only hope that Irmen and Potulny will be gone after this season. They certainly are having good enough years to leave early.

I don't expect any freshmen to leave for the Sioux, but I wouldn't be surprised if we lost the trio in Stafford, Smaby, or Zajac. I hope that we can keep one (maybe two...crosses fingers) of those 3 players.

rumor has it zajac is staying so he can play with darcy next year.

If Smaby left we have Bina coming back and Jake Marto coming in.

Finley should be able to handle the "big guy" role by then (and Lee should be filling out that 6'3" frame).

Anything beyond that is pure speculation.

But Marto is already coming in for 2006. I'm assuming Bina is already on scholarship. Losing Marvin and Smaby would leave an open spot. Why not bring in LaPoint a year early to increase your bargining power over Minnesota and Wisconsin?

what we need is 3-4 UND alum who have 50-100 million dollars each. then setup an unofficial trust fund for after sioux players graduate. if you play UND hockey for four years and graduate from UND, you get 1 million. that would hopefully help keep a lot more people around for their senior seasons. alright, who has the money?

Yes, that'd be great...cause what everyone is really hoping for is a bunch of NCAA violations. Seriously, next time think...then post.

But Marto is already coming in for 2006. I'm assuming Bina is already on scholarship. Losing Marvin and Smaby would leave an open spot. Why not bring in LaPoint a year early to increase your bargining power over Minnesota and Wisconsin?

I admit I've only gotten through half of the threads going back through last Thursday morning, but when did we get LaPoint?

And as far as recruits are going, here's the breakdown:

Prpich is graduating. We bring in Vandevelde.

Marvin is graduating. We bring in Genoway

Now, I'm not saying it is a 1 to 1 replacement, but I'm saying that, unless someone knows which of our incoming recruits are scholarship and which are walk on or whatever, I'm just matching up known departures with known incoming.

Now, we are bringing in Darcy Zajac and Jake Marto as well. We are getting Bina back (if all things go well).

That means, if no one leaves early, we're actually losing two players and gaining 4.5 (Bina is already on the roster). 2 of those we gain (name isn't important) are negligible as 2 are leaving and those 2 fill those slots, but the other 2 mean we're going to have one or two players not returning next year. That means we could be depending upon Stafford and Smaby leaving early.

Maybe I'm totally confused and this is completely wrong, but it just seems that we are getting more players back next year than we are losing this year. Or... could this be the end of the line for Foyt and Alexander?

Yes, that'd be great...cause what everyone is really hoping for is a bunch of NCAA violations. Seriously, next time think...then post.

I don't think there would be any NCAA violations sice according to Southpaws post it was setup so you would receive the money after you graduate or play 4 years at UND. Therefore, it's not illegal(looking at it that way) if UND could potentially(not realistic and/or fathomable) have a unofficial trust fund as stated in the previous post.

I admit I've only gotten through half of the threads going back through last Thursday morning, but when did we get LaPoint?

Now, I'm not saying it is a 1 to 1 replacement, but I'm saying that, unless someone knows which of our incoming recruits are scholarship and which are walk on or whatever, I'm just matching up known departures with known incoming.

Now, we are bringing in Darcy Zajac and Jake Marto as well. We are getting Bina back (if all things go well).

That means, if no one leaves early, we're actually losing two players and gaining 4.5 (Bina is already on the roster). 2 of those we gain (name isn't important) are negligible as 2 are leaving and those 2 fill those slots, but the other 2 mean we're going to have one or two players not returning next year. That means we could be depending upon Stafford and Smaby leaving early.

Maybe I'm totally confused and this is completely wrong, but it just seems that we are getting more players back next year than we are losing this year. Or... could this be the end of the line for Foyt and Alexander?

I wasnt saying you got LaPoint. Just that it might increase North Dakota's bargining power to get him if he was brought in for 2006 if Smaby leaves early. Was currious on what the chances were that this would happen. I believe Hakstol went and watched LaPoint play today in the championship of the Wisconsin Senior Class Tournament.

I don't think there would be any NCAA violations sice according to Southpaws post it was setup so you would receive the money after you graduate or play 4 years at UND. Therefore, it's not illegal(looking at it that way) if UND could potentially(not realistic and/or fathomable) have a unofficial trust fund as stated in the previous post.

Wouldn't it be a violation? If UND used this 'fund' as a recruiting tool even if it is stated three ways past Sunday that the money would be recieved by the player ONLY upon graduation (meaning 4 years in the program) from UND? I mean, it is a promise of compensation far beyond that of a scholarship that is intended not entirely towards education and whatever it is athletic scholarships are used towards.

I'm not sure if there is a stipulation stating that compensation of an NCAA eligible athlete is only a violation if it is completed before or during an athlete's time as an athlete at/for an NCAA recognized institution...

I have it on solid authority that Oshie will be back. Not sure about Toews, Stafford, Smaby, Parise, and/or Zajac. I would think Lee and Finley and rest of Frosh are long shots to leave after one year.

Hopefully we won't have to worry about it until mid April. :angry:

No way will any of the freshmen leave, I don't have evidence but I guarantee it. None of them are ready. It is very very tough to make an NHL team the year you're drafted. The only ones I'm worried about leaving are Stafford, Smaby, and Parise. I'm hoping they all stay but we know that won't happen, and I'm also hoping that Zajac stays one more year to play with his bro.

Hopefully we won't have to worry about it until mid April. :lol:

Hopefully we wont have to worry AT ALL about Stafford leaving, or any of the rest.... :angry:

nice!! way to use your head! :angry:

we arent depending upon Stafford to leave! are you crazy??? :angry:

I don't understand why (competitive and economic) that NHL teams want to take a player they've drafted and have them leave early. It'd be different if the player is ready or almost ready to contribute to the parent club.

It seems so often they convince a guy to leave early and then have him down in the minors a year or two before they even get a chance to play at the show. Wouldn't the players develop just as well with 5 days of week practice and games on the weekend?

Generally you hear of the deal offered to the players and frankly they'd be nuts not to take the money when it's offered to them.

The one that really puzzles me is NJ Devils paying Zach Parise a quite large signing bonus when they knew there was not going to be an NHL season last year.

I don't understand why (competitive and economic) that NHL teams want to take a player they've drafted and have them leave early. It'd be different if the player is ready or almost ready to contribute to the parent club.

It seems so often they convince a guy to leave early and then have him down in the minors a year or two before they even get a chance to play at the show. Wouldn't the players develop just as well with 5 days of week practice and games on the weekend?

Generally you hear of the deal offered to the players and frankly they'd be nuts not to take the money when it's offered to them.

The one that really puzzles me is NJ Devils paying Zach Parise a quite large signing bonus when they knew there was not going to be an NHL season last year.

The main reason they bring them up and put them in the minors is because the talent level in the minors is much closer to NHL talent then college hockey is to NHL talent. It gets players prepared for the speed of the game. Most players need at least a year in the AHL, so it's not like it's a rare occurence. They also practice every day probably a couple times. There are generally better coaches at that level as well, although that's not the case with UND.

rumor has it zajac is staying so he can play with darcy next year.

Yeah, I heard that as well. The coaches were smart to bring Darcy in next season. :lol:

Let's hope it works. Plus, it would only be that much more confusing for Woog having two Zajac's on the team. :angry:

just something to think about here..but did anyone else notice after the win on saturday when stafford came out onto the ice to take a picture with jpar in the crease? i might just be looking way too deep into the whole situation, but i cant help but think of the meaning behind this. yeah it might be just a way to get a good memory, but did anyone else get the idea maybe it will be the last chance stafford gets to take a pic with jordy in the final five?

yeah it might be just a way to get a good memory, but did anyone else get the idea maybe it will be the last chance stafford gets to take a pic with jordy in the final five?

Or maybe it's because they're good friends. :angry: