SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU WCHA Final Five poster

johndahl

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harmeson discovered the poster error early and asked league officials to stop distributing them. Did they? "They did nothing," Harmeson said. "Their reaction was 'Oh my goodness.'"
I had previously said "Let's laugh this off". But if they continued to pass out the posters after being notified of the error, then I see good reason to be ticked off.

I had previously said "Let's laugh this off". But if they continued to pass out the posters after being notified of the error, then I see good reason to be ticked off.

I know that the posters were being handed out Saturday when I entered the X at 6:30 p.m. and they were still being distributed when I left around 10:30 p.m.

I don't know that anyone needs to lose their job or be tarred and feathered over this, but the WCHA does owe UND an explanation and an apology.

I think the gaff was intended as an inside joke in a game of chicken where each of the jokesters thought the other jokester would correct the name right before the poster was printed. Reminds me of an episode of the old "Mary Tyler Moore Show" (perhaps you youngesters have seen it on Nick at Night?) where a bleary-eyed Mary has to pull an all nighter to write on-file obituaries and her pal Rhoda dictates satirical versions which Mary dutifully transcribes. Highjinks ensue when one of the joke obits makes it on air, read with the usual panache by anchorman Ted Baxter.

I think the gaff was intended as an inside joke in a game of chicken where each of the jokesters thought the other jokester would correct the name right before the poster was printed. Reminds me of an episode of the old "Mary Tyler Moore Show" (perhaps you youngesters have seen it on Nick at Night?) where a bleary-eyed Mary has to pull an all nighter to write on-file obituaries and her pal Rhoda dictates satirical versions which Mary dutifully transcribes. Highjinks ensue when one of the joke obits makes it on air, read with the usual panache by anchorman Ted Baxter.

I thought about that, too. The other scenario I can see is someone sketching out the framework of the poster and writing "North Dakota" under the Sioux team picture. The rough design went to the printer where it's noticed that the full name of the the university isn't used. Someone (probably a non-college hockey fan) who assumes the school is North Dakota State University takes it upon himself or herself to add the "correct" full name. Because of a time crunch, the poster is never proofed by anyone from the WCHA before it's distributed.

I have to believe that this was an intentional "practical joke" played by a non-UND person (who knows what "enemy agent" could have done such a thing). This reminded me of some of the big jokes that have been played in football, when ingenious college "spies" have infiltrated the opposition's cheering section plans. I'm referring to the ones that have colored placards to hold up at various times to spell out various things or depict various objects in the stands. By changing the order of instructions at each seat (either hold up the dark or the white side of the placard), some very humorous slogans could appear. The fans for, let's say, USC could be holding up the letters that spell out "Let's go UCLA," or something to that effect.

This is a slight to the Sioux, but the embarrassment should go to the people responsible, not necessarily the Red Baron people. They should put pressure on the WCHA to find the culprit(s) and the $ damages of the misprint could end up with a fine or probably a lawsuit on behalf of those who paid to have the correct poster printed.

The fact that Mr. Harmeson pointed out the mistake, and still nothing was done to cease their distribution seems to be disturbing to me. I feel they should have halted the give away right then and there.

I would hang onto a poster, if you have one. It no doubt will be a collecter's item and may actually appreciate in its worth because of the misprint. I hope that Hak has one posted in their locker room to remind the guys that they have an excellent opportunity to help educate the ignorant masses as to which school has the top college hockey program in the country.

By the way, the YaneA's Mary Tyler-Moore scenario of a joke slipping past isn't unusual. When I was a young reporter at the Bismarck Tribune, as a joke I wrote a news story using every tired old cliche in the book. I figured the editor would recognize it as a prank, have a good laugh and use the real story I wrote. Instead, she ran my joke story! :D

And here's what's truly funny about that episode. I decided to keep my mouth shut about it until somebody noticed. Nobody ever said a single word about it! :D:D

I'm not sure what that said about our staff. Either A) my colleagues thought I really was that bad a writer, B) they didn't know bad writing when they saw it or C) they weren't reading their own newspaper. ;)

Another time, as an April Fools joke, someone planted a phony death notice for a famous old person (ex-president, maybe?). The wire editor, who came to work alone about 4 a.m., took it seriously and frantically began to assemble a big story about the famous person's death.

Fortunately, the story never made it into print, but I've never seen an editor so angry. The person who planted the fake story got into quite a bit of trouble.

I also found out that editors don't appreciate fake errors. The Trib printed a weekly entertainment magazine and, in one issue, the cover story was about "Art in the park." I found an "Fa" in the same type font and size and carefully pasted it on the cover so my editing job was practically invisible. Then I took it to the editor on duty and said, "Did you see this?"

He about had a heart attack. After he recovered, he chewed me out and told me to never joke about such things again. :ohmy:

They mentioned that during the game (Hennessy did). Also said that Harmeson was FUMING about it. Lotysz said it shows disrespect.

Well, at least the Bison nickname isn't disrespectful....

Unfortunate that it happened, but there's not much that can be done about it now. I would like the think Red Baron would apologize to UND and make sure such a stupidly glaring oversight will never happen again.

Well, I just got the following from Carol LaBelle-Ehrhardt (WCHA Assistant Commissioner of Operations):

"yes we are doing a reprint to be distributed at the regionals in Grand Forks this weekend. The Western Collegiate Hockey Association sincerely apologizes for this mistake. Please know that our title sponsor "Red Baron" did not have anything to do with this. We hope you accept our apology and we will see you again at the 2007 Final Five!"

SiouxGrad

Well, I just got the following from Carol LaBelle-Ehrhardt (WCHA Assistant Commissioner of Operations):

"yes we are doing a reprint to be distributed at the regionals in Grand Forks this weekend. The Western Collegiate Hockey Association sincerely apologizes for this mistake. Please know that our title sponsor "Red Baron" did not have anything to do with this. We hope you accept our apology and we will see you again at the 2007 Final Five!"

SiouxGrad

They should do a quick cut-and-paste and put the Sioux on top of the pyramid this time. :D

SiouxGrad

Yeah!!! Persistents pays! :D

While I am happy that the WCHA has finally decided to own up to this and will distribute some corrected posters this weekend, this really isn't that big of a deal to me. Sports Illustrated ran the Top 10 Sports Pranks a few issues ago (I can't remember which one and can't remember the exact years, but you get the idea below) and two of them stood out:

Yale fans dressed as Harvard fans passed out colored squares to Harvard fans entering the football stadium telling them the color coding (some white and some maroon) spelled out "Go Harvard". Instead, when fans were instructed to hold up the cards, the words spelled out "We suck."

And best of all, the University of Virginia several years ago commissioned a re-designed locker room. The winning architect was chosen and did a locker room (as viewed from above the stadium) designed in a "V." Of course, unbeknownst to officials until later, the design was done by a graduate of Virginia Tech, and he had built in a storage shed or something next to the "V" in the shape of a "T". The locker room existed for several years, but was torn down a number of years ago.

Now THOSE are pranks. I'd also classify the Minnesota team bus winding up at the FargoDome for Friday's pre-game warm-ups as a quality prank as well. The poster? I'll be happy to get a new one this weekend and call it a day.

Neither is the Sioux nickname. :D

Sure, in the opinon of some.

Nice to see the WCHA is trying to make up for the mistake. I hope you guys enjoy your new posters! Hold on to the old ones, they may become collector's items after the Sioux destroy every single team on the face of the planet en route to an NCAA title :ohmy:

Does that mean that the Standing Rock Sioux are disrespecting themselves by choosing to identify with the Sioux name? :D

I'm trying to understand your reasoning for even bringing this up.

Nice to see the WCHA is trying to make up for the mistake. I hope you guys enjoy your new posters! Hold on to the old ones, they may become collector's items after the Sioux destroy every single team on the face of the planet en route to an NCAA title :ohmy:

Thanks Skippy :D

Does that mean that the Standing Rock Sioux are disrespecting themselves by choosing to identify with the Sioux name? :D

I'm trying to understand your reasoning for even bringing this up.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, and I felt like briefly commenting on the situation. Sorry if it was out of order, but there are a lot of people out there who view the entire nickname situation much differently than you guys. This thread is about the poster, and I guess I shouldn't have brought it up.

I don't know much about the situation. Enlighten me: are the Standing Rock Sioux one of many Native American groups that are in favor of the University remaining the Fighting Sioux?

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, and I felt like briefly commenting on the situation. Sorry if it was out of order, but there are a lot of people out there who view the entire nickname situation much differently than you guys.

I don't know much about the situation. Enlighten me: are the Standing Rock Sioux one of many Native American groups that are in favor of the University remaining the Fighting Sioux?

here ya go. click on this link and go nuts sioux name