Chris Kuper story

82SiouxGuy

• 3 months later...

From the Denver Broncos website:

Kuper: 'Like Walking on Eggshells'

Also, a story on Chad Mustard:

A Switch Back

Interesting quote:

As soon as I got to college, I realized that whenever I was done playing, I was going to become a high-school coach and I'm going to take the kids I have and make them the best I can," Mustard said. "I don't want to be political, having to say one thing and do another, and then move to the next level and it's the same way. People on the outside don't really see that." ...

Which brings him to the Broncos, a team that has not shown any trepidation about keeping less-heralded, lower-drafted players over more well-known, higher-picked ones. As a matter of fact, such policy has become the team's calling card.

"There's a lot of pressure in this league to be correct, to be right," Mustard said. "You draft a guy, you'd better be right with him. A lot of teams have to hold on to guys that are maybe being outperformed, and have to hold on to them because of contracts or money, and here, (Head) Coach (Mike) Shanahan has got a reputation. He knows what he's doing. The staff knows what they're doing. They're not going to get second-guessed like a lot of coaching staffs would.

That quote IS interesting....I wonder if he was referring to his switch to football after his eligibility was up with basketball. Probably not wanting to play a guy that had only devoted one season of practice to the football team over a guy that had spent 4-5 years in the program...maybe those are the politics he's referring to.

I thought Mustard played quite a bit in his only season on the gridiron, or am I wrong?? :D

Here's something else I thought was interesting:

Far different from what he experienced at the University of North Dakota, where, in spite of the program's low profile in Division II, he still managed to nab the notice of NFL scouts enough to collar an invitation to the National Scouting Combine, where he had his first contact with the Broncos.

...is this what you call a program that has had two recent appearances in the Natty title game (one win), and playoff appearances in all but one of the last 6 years? Or am I being a little over zealous with our football program?

That quote IS interesting....I wonder if he was referring to his switch to football after his eligibility was up with basketball. Probably not wanting to play a guy that had only devoted one season of practice to the football team over a guy that had spent 4-5 years in the program...maybe those are the politics he's referring to.

I thought Mustard played quite a bit in his only season on the gridiron, or am I wrong?? :D

Here's something else I thought was interesting:

...is this what you call a program that has had two recent appearances in the Natty title game (one win), and playoff appearances in all but one of the last 6 years? Or am I being a little over zealous with our football program?

I think that they just meant that Division II is much lower profile than the big name schools in Division IA. I don't think they meant that UND is low profile in Division II.

• 4 weeks later...

yeah i saw that on the depth chart too. anyone see the broncos game last night and/or hear how Kuper did, assuming he played?

on a side note, i watched the falcons Vs Patriots last night, cause we didnt get the broncos game here in NC. And holy crap, not that i am a gophers fan AT ALL or anythgin, but Laurence Maroney (Patriots 1st rd pick, 21st overall) kicked the crap outta the Falcons defense. first 2 running plays he did he had 39 yards. total in 9 attemps was 66 though. that 1st quarter he sure had it on. good for the gophers to have SOMEONE ever a little good come out of their program :love: now if only Kuper could have as good a showing, and Glas can get a spot with...well, someone. Oh, and in addition....LETS MOVE TO D-1. I dontwanna wait 3-4 years

I stayed up to watch the replay of the Broncos/Lions game on the NFL network.

Kuper did really good. He came into the game along with the rest of the second team o-line on the Broncos second offensive possesion. I went to bed after the 3rd quarter so i don't know how much he played after that but i know he played from midway throught the first until then. I saw about 5-6 possesion and maybe 35-40 plays with him in the game. Thats kind off a educated guess on the plays I cant quite remeber the exact amount of plays. For his first preseason game his play was very good. I thought he did better in pass protection doing a really good job keeping his feet moving. The DT that he was up against tride doing a lot of spins and bull rushes and every time Kuper seemed to handle him pretty well even putting him to his knees once or twice. In rushing plays he also did good but did miss a couple cut blocks. Kuper did have one really good block on a DE when he pulled around and drove him towards the sideline for a couple yards as the running back went behind him through the 5 hole. I would saw that the Broncos deffinately have themselve one heck of a lineman and I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting in a couple of years.

This article is about three months old but I never saw it until now. Just a little blurb about UND and Denver taking Kuper:

SCHOOL IN THE SPOTLIGHT

Guard Chris Kuper (161st, Broncos), became the first player drafted from the University of North Dakota since Jim Kleinsasser in 1999. The Fighting Sioux are a Division II powerhouse with a football program that dates back to 1892. They finished 11-3 last season and won a playoff game. Kleinsasser isn't the only Sioux waiting for Kuper in the NFL. Former North Dakota quarterback John "Cougar" Bowenkamp is trying to stick with the Vikings. Kuper played left tackle in college but will move inside for the Broncos. He needs to bulk up and work on his technique.

Is Bowenkamp back in Vikings camp this year?

I stayed up to watch the replay of the Broncos/Lions game on the NFL network.

Kuper did really good. He came into the game along with the rest of the second team o-line on the Broncos second offensive possesion. I went to bed after the 3rd quarter so i don't know how much he played after that but i know he played from midway throught the first until then. I saw about 5-6 possesion and maybe 35-40 plays with him in the game. Thats kind off a educated guess on the plays I cant quite remeber the exact amount of plays. For his first preseason game his play was very good. I thought he did better in pass protection doing a really good job keeping his feet moving. The DT that he was up against tride doing a lot of spins and bull rushes and every time Kuper seemed to handle him pretty well even putting him to his knees once or twice. In rushing plays he also did good but did miss a couple cut blocks. Kuper did have one really good block on a DE when he pulled around and drove him towards the sideline for a couple yards as the running back went behind him through the 5 hole. I would saw that the Broncos deffinately have themselve one heck of a lineman and I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting in a couple of years.

Chris played until the beginning of the 4th quarter. I thought he looked pretty good but it's amazing how tough they grade you in the NFL. Certain plays such as the one you described he received a M/A grade which means "missed assignment". He is working hard and having fun. I am going to the game against the Titans this week so hopefully he will continue to improve and make the 53 man roster this month.

My sources tell me Kuper is a lock... The Broncos have currently 4 guys with North Dakota ties..

Chris Kuper-UND-Lock

Greg Eslinger- Minn/Thru Bismarck HS-Lock

Chad Mustard-UND-(on Bubble)

Rob Hunt-NDSU-Cavalier HS -(on Bubble, Propably back to NFL Europe)

No such thing as a "lock" in the "Not For Long" league. But off the record i have heard similar things

In todays Denver Post.......

Position battle

Rookie offensive linemen, no matter how good, usually spend their first season either on the practice squad or inactive on game days. Chris Kuper may be an exception. A fifth-round pick out of North Dakota, Kuper won't start, but he already is the second-string right guard behind veteran Cooper Carlisle.

You are right ..he has worked very hard for it. He (and his family) have made many sacrifices. I will see him on Friday and pass along your good wishes. thx dk

Thank You! He is with the perfect organization, I was born and raised in Denver with The Broncos and Lived there the 1st-25 years of my life, Still have some friends in the organization. They really like Chris and his work habits,I and others think He will be a good O-Lineman for many years in the NFL