SiouxSports.com Forum

Kessel in Madison

WiSioux

I'm from Madison, and dislike the Badgers, so maybe I'll be the only one to find this funny, but I just thought I would share it.

UW men's hockey: Badgers return to pack after latest loss

The insult for the Badgers and their followers came courtesy of Kessel, the Madison who a year ago picked Minnesota over his hometown school.

Jeered loudly both nights whenever he touched the puck, Kessel celebrated his first point of the season against UW by putting his left hand to ear and skating around the rink, all but inviting a final torrent of boos.

"It was just a reaction," said Kessel, an 18-year-old projected to be a top-five pick in the NHL draft later this year. "I was getting a little hassled the whole game."

Lucia cringed when asked about the gesture, but ultimately backed Kessel.

"With how much grief he took all weekend, I can understand it," Lucia said.

There was no such sentiment coming from the UW dressing room.

"Maybe put your hand there for a second, but to skate around the whole rink doing that? I'm going to question his character for doing something like that," Badgers captain and Madisonian Adam Burish said. "If this were a different league, maybe somebody would have taken it a different way and taken it into their own hands."

Since fighting is a no-no in U.S. college hockey, UW players left the Kohl Center this night feeling the pain of injury and insult.

"It stings," Burish said.

Should be interesting to see if there is any retaliation should they play each other again in the tournament...

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm from Madison, and dislike the Badgers, so maybe I'll be the only one to find this funny, but I just thought I would share it.

UW men's hockey: Badgers return to pack after latest loss

The insult for the Badgers and their followers came courtesy of Kessel, the Madison who a year ago picked Minnesota over his hometown school.

Jeered loudly both nights whenever he touched the puck, Kessel celebrated his first point of the season against UW by putting his left hand to ear and skating around the rink, all but inviting a final torrent of boos.

"It was just a reaction," said Kessel, an 18-year-old projected to be a top-five pick in the NHL draft later this year. "I was getting a little hassled the whole game."

Lucia cringed when asked about the gesture, but ultimately backed Kessel.

"With how much grief he took all weekend, I can understand it," Lucia said.

There was no such sentiment coming from the UW dressing room.

"Maybe put your hand there for a second, but to skate around the whole rink doing that? I'm going to question his character for doing something like that," Badgers captain and Madisonian Adam Burish said. "If this were a different league, maybe somebody would have taken it a different way and taken it into their own hands."

Since fighting is a no-no in U.S. college hockey, UW players left the Kohl Center this night feeling the pain of injury and insult.

"It stings," Burish said.

Should be interesting to see if there is any retaliation should they play each other again in the tournament...

Quotes are coming from Burish who knocked out promising player Scott Thauwald (sp?) of CC for the season with 1 second left on a Saturday night earlier in Madison on a very questionable hit. ;):huh: Guess we need to consider the source. As for the quote, bring it on Burish, bring it on.

First Danny Irmen's classless jersey pop and then Phil Kessel taking a victory lap around the Kohl Center on Saturday night. When did the Gopher hockey team become NBA-esque in their celebrations? With all due respect to Minnesota, it's time Lucia put the hammer down on these Terrell Owens-like prima-donna look-at-me-look-at-me-look-at-me incidents.

First Danny Irmen's classless jersey pop and then Phil Kessel taking a victory lap around the Kohl Center on Saturday night. When did the Gopher hockey team become NBA-esque in their celebrations? With all due respect to Minnesota, it's time Lucia put the hammer down on these Terrell Owens-like prima-donna look-at-me-look-at-me-look-at-me incidents.

You don't get it, Mafia....there a bunch of madmen down here!! They're out of control! I mean, underage drinking, no cover charges at the bar, jersey popping, Hulkamania reactions after goals! It's the 1986 New York Mets all over again!

If we're going to be hated regardless, I say GO ALL OUT! I want helmets coming off after goals, just like the early 90s Miami Hurricanes. organized team celebrations after goals, skating up to opponents benches....everything! :huh:

Lucia's dumb excuse for this stupidity is that the crowds are hard on these guys. Oh please, how lame is that. All that I have to say is get used to it boys, it's only going to get worse when you go on to the next level. If you can't take some ribbing from big rival fans, then the problem is with yourself. The bottom line is that Irmen and Kessel are a couple of classless little punks, and their coach blames their behavior on everyone else. The Don has the nerve to say stuff like "every time there is a fight, NoDak is involved". How about this, evertime there is a classless, look at me, idiotic showboating, individual celebration, a gopher player is involved.

You don't get it, Mafia....there a bunch of madmen down here!! They're out of control! I mean, underage drinking, no cover charges at the bar, jersey popping, Hulkamania reactions after goals! It's the 1986 New York Mets all over again!

If we're going to be hated regardless, I say GO ALL OUT! I want helmets coming off after goals, just like the early 90s Miami Hurricanes. organized team celebrations after goals, skating up to opponents benches....everything! :huh:

Greatest post ever!

Think about it, if you were 18 years old, playing in you're hometown with all you're family and friends watching and you scored the goal that sealed a victory AND a sweep for you're team after getting harassed all weekend, I think most of us would do the same thing. I think it was just a natural reaction of excitement.

OK, Doc, I'll admit...watching the team skate into a circle and then all fall backwards (think 1980's Redskins "fun bunch") would make me laugh out loud.

What would be even funnier is watching Kessel pull that same stunt in his first NHL game...and have somebody like Chelios promptly introduce him to the boards in his next shift.

You know, I can handle what Irmen did. I'm sure he was getting plenty of crap from the fans and that was a "give it back" gesture. Same for what Lammy did in Mpls after the GWG on Saturday. However, I have no issue with that as long as things remain spontaneous and we don't start seeing the "pro sport" mentality. Kessel's deal wouldn't bother me much if it was quick, but the carrying on that I read about concerns me that this is a trend we are going to regret.

I do wonder if the same fans who ripped Lammy are supporting Kessel....

Lucia's dumb excuse for this stupidity is that the crowds are hard on these guys. Oh please, how lame is that. All that I have to say is get used to it boys, it's only going to get worse when you go on to the next level. If you can't take some ribbing from big rival fans, then the problem is with yourself. The bottom line is that Irmen and Kessel are a couple of classless little punks, and their coach blames their behavior on everyone else. The Don has the nerve to say stuff like "every time there is a fight, NoDak is involved". How about this, evertime there is a classless, look at me, idiotic showboating, individual celebration, a gopher player is involved.

If Irmen (Jersey Popping) and Kessel (Ear Holding) are classless little punks as you say then Chorney and Lammy are classless little punks also. Since Chorney jersey Popped after he scored against Minnesota and Lammy did his stick taunting after the Sioux victory in Minnesota. Before you reply, remember you are the one who characterize Irmen and Kessel as classless punks for these actions.

You know, I can handle what Irmen did. I'm sure he was getting plenty of crap from the fans and that was a "give it back" gesture. Same for what Lammy did in Mpls after the GWG on Saturday. However, I have no issue with that as long as things remain spontaneous and we don't start seeing the "pro sport" mentality. Kessel's deal wouldn't bother me much if it was quick, but the carrying on that I read about concerns me that this is a trend we are going to regret.

I do wonder if the same fans who ripped Lammy are supporting Kessel....

You are 100% correct, it's stupid no matter who does it. Act like you've scored a goal before, not like you just won the Stanley Cup. My point is that Donny likes to shift the blame to the crowd, instead of putting it on the players doing it. No excuse justifies these stupid little actions, that's all.

You are 100% correct, it's stupid no matter who does it. Act like you've scored a goal before, not like you just won the Stanley Cup. My point is that Donny likes to shift the blame to the crowd, instead of putting it on the players doing it. No excuse justifies these stupid little actions, that's all.

Maybe Lucia believes that ripping his own kids in the media is a bad idea.

If we're going to be hated regardless, I say GO ALL OUT! I want helmets coming off after goals, just like the early 90s Miami Hurricanes. organized team celebrations after goals, skating up to opponents benches....everything! ;)

:huh: sounds good to me...

The comments over on Gopherpucklive regarding the Kessel "I can't hear you" incident are almost comical. One of my favorites is "we never boo our own when they return to their hometown." Surely, even the homer-est Gopher fan can't be that naive. :huh:

Sounds like the "halo" label has been misplaced ;)

I remember a smattering (or more) of boos the first time ZP was introduced at Mariucci but I don't think it went far beyond that or anywhere near what Kessel faced in madtown. Of course, we MN fans were being dazzled by this kid from Austria..... :huh:

Personally, if MN can't get a blue chippa they're after I hope another WCHA team gets him. Good for the league & good for me as a fan.

I apologize if some of us don't want to join the pity party that is "SIOUX LOSS HURTS"? Just because it didn't involve the Sioux directly doesn't mean it wasn't worthy of discussion.

No, but I really think that we do talk about Kessel too much.

It really is kessel.com around here sometimes. I think we have better things to talk about than what he is doing.