SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs MSUM -- Sat night

brianvf

Could it be that Hakstol and Jutting got together and agreed to shift the DQ's to Finley and Cummings (I think) ? Hakstol would agree to this since Spirko's family is in town, also he might not want to split up the forward lines as they seem to be finally clicking. Jutting might prefer Cummings suspended rather then the initial Mankato player (I assume there was a different Mankato player ejected originally, can't find a box score that shows the Spirko DQ to verify). Then they both went to Shepard and asked that the DQ's be changed.

And if the US institutes a military draft those replacement players can go in for them too? I don't think so....

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying the punishment did not fit the crime. Maybe it should have been a little stiffer for some. BUT, how many damn times do you have to get speared, cross checked, headlocked, elbowed, ect. after a whistle ? If the officials did not want to handle all of those little things going on, that's fine with me, but by the same token, when these guys get tired of that crap then there should also be some tolerance shown. So the fact that TJ didn't get a DQ is just fine with me, the same goes for Spirko, who IMO had every right to be "upset" about getting wrangled. My point is this, I see this retaliation as justified, and hopefully mankato will take a little lesson away from this, but I doubt it. Just like the old saying goes, "If you mess with the bull you get the horns". Live it, love it, learn it is my advice for mr. jutting and crew.

Could it be that Hakstol and Jutting got together and agreed to shift the DQ's to Finley and Cummings (I think) ? Hakstol would agree to this since Spirko's family is in town, also he might not want to split up the forward lines as they seem to be finally clicking. Jutting might prefer Cummings suspended rather then the initial Mankato player (I assume there was a different Mankato player ejected originally, can't find a box score that shows the Spirko DQ to verify). Then they both went to Shepard and asked that the DQ's be changed.

Hakstol and Jutting did discuss the fighting DQ penalties to Spirko and Rankin. I know because I heard them do it before their post-game interviews. Because of that, I asked each coach during their post-game comments if they were satisfied with the way in which the penalties were assessed. I'll check the tape, but as I recall, neither of them seemed to have a problem the penalities that Zelkin gave out.

Had Zelkin reveiwed the tape, re-assigned the penalties, signed the official score sheet and then left the arena, I'd have no problem with the way the situation was handled. But that's not what happened.

I'm not saying the punishment did not fit the crime. Maybe it should have been a little stiffer for some. BUT, how many damn times do you have to get speared, cross checked, headlocked, elbowed, ect. after a whistle ? If the officials did not want to handle all of those little things going on, that's fine with me, but by the same token, when these guys get tired of that crap then there should also be some tolerance shown. So the fact that TJ didn't get a DQ is just fine with me, the same goes for Spirko, who IMO had every right to be "upset" about getting wrangled. My point is this, I see this retaliation as justified, and hopefully mankato will take a little lesson away from this, but I doubt it. Just like the old saying goes, "If you mess with the bull you get the horns". Live it, love it, learn it is my advice for mr. jutting and crew.

There's little doubt that Zelkin's making calls (or noncalls) based on the score (Sicatoka) in the third period resulted in this mess. The more Mankato got away with, the cheaper they became, leading to Rankin's apparently unprovoked attack on Spirko from behind (unless beating someone to the puck is provoking him).

As for Rankin, I must be wrong but I was thinking he wasn't given a DQ at all. That led me to be more confused because I thought Sparky was fighting with Rankin and didn't understand why Sparky got a DQ and Rankin didn't. I figured he must have fought with someone else. Now it makes more sense.

You're right. Rankin got a double-minor for roughing and a 10-minute game misconduct. Spirko's penalty was changed from a fighting DQ to the same thing as Rankin's. Finley originally had a double-roughing and a game misconduct, but was later given the fighting DQ originally given to Sparky.

I still don't understand how Zelkin got Finley and Spirko mixed up. ???:lol: It'd also be nice to know why Zelkin thought that what Finley did was worth a fighting DQ while what Oshie did wasn't. As I recall, Oshie was throwing punches, even through he kept his gloves on. As I said, I'm not sure what Finley did to warrant a game DQ. However, I also know that I didn't see everything that happened on the ice.

During the post-game press conference, Jutting was asked if he questioned any of the game DQs given to the Mavericks.

Jutting: "I don't know. We'll see. We'll see. I haven't had a chance to look into it. We'll see."

I asked Hakstol: "Do you have any problems with the game DQs that were handed out?"

Hakstol: "Well, you know what? In that situation, guys are sticking together and sticking up for one another. You know, whatever the calls that are made, that's what we'll live with. Bottom line is -- most important -- two points tonight and what the reprecussions are, we've got a week to regroup and get ready to deal with that."

Strangely, Jutting seemed more inclined to question the penalties than Hakstol did, although neither coach seemed particularly bothered by them.

Based on that description, the game DQ to Spirko was warranted.

That was my thought in the first place. After most of the commotion direction around him settled down, it seemed he totally snapped, tackled the the guy who was hanging on him and just started throwing haymakers. A side of Spirko nobody had seen before.

Maybe if we all sign affidavits and send them in to the league, we can get Oshie and Spirko DQ'd as well. Seriously, there was a melee, four guys got DQs that cost them the next game, other guys got misconducts that finished their night for them, and we move on. It maybe wasn't exactly right, but it sounds on the surface to be a pretty fair level of punishment for the event.

Maybe if we all sign affidavits and send them in to the league, we can get Oshie and Spirko DQ'd as well. Seriously, there was a melee, four guys got DQs that cost them the next game, other guys got misconducts that finished their night for them, and we move on. It maybe wasn't exactly right, but it sounds on the surface to be a pretty fair level of punishment for the event.

Maybe so, but all the affadavits would do is get PCM MORE grumpy! :lol:

IMO, I think Hakstol is right. Move on and worry about the games coming up.

Still, if Finley was to get a DQ, I would have at least liked to have seen gloves fall and a real fight ensue ala Prpich v. Peluso or McMahon v. Vanelli.

It maybe wasn't exactly right, but it sounds on the surface to be a pretty fair level of punishment for the event.

Some of us were trying to figure out how Zelkin and Shepherd arrived at the conclusions they did. Is there anything wrong with that?

I was just happy to see Radke give some justice out on the ice, DQ and all. The fight all together is a great moral builder and Hak knows it. He isn't worried about the reprecussions because it is a good sign that the Sioux have started to gel, if this hit would have happened earlier this season, Finley would have skated over and that would have been it - Good things to come out of this UND squad

I was just happy to see Radke give some justice out on the ice, DQ and all. The fight all together is a great moral builder and Hak knows it. He isn't worried about the reprecussions because it is a good sign that the Sioux have started to gel, if this hit would have happened earlier this season, Finley would have skated over and that would have been it - Good things to come out of this UND squad

I don't agree. I think this team has been there for each other all year. I think this boiled over into a bigger issue because of how Mankato plays, and because the Mankato players on the ice wanted to play it up a little. The Sioux stepped up to the challenge quite well, IMO.

Some of us were trying to figure out how Zelkin and Shepherd arrived at the conclusions they did. Is there anything wrong with that?

Maybe tonights coach's show will reveal something (hint to call in) :lol: BTW has the show been streamed lately (seems it was before Christmas)?

Maybe Siouxtatoo42 = Scott Zelkin

easy there dags, i was only tellin what i saw, what i also saw was zelkin standing behind/leaning? on the net watching the whole thing go down, not sure if he was writing down numbers (which he shoulda been doin if he's just gonna stand there) or just watching his ARs' ability to break up a good old fashioned college hockey fight...(although Radke broke up his own fight).....but i can say that sparky's glove did come off and he did throw punches and i was as shocked as anyone else to see him meltdown like that since his isn't that type of player.

easy there dags, i was only tellin what i saw, what i also saw was zelkin standing behind/leaning? on the net watching the whole thing go down, not sure if he was writing down numbers (which he shoulda been doin if he's just gonna stand there) or just watching his ARs' ability to break up a good old fashioned college hockey fight...(although Radke broke up his own fight).....but i can say that sparky's glove did come off and he did throw punches and i was as shocked as anyone else to see him meltdown like that since his isn't that type of player.

He was writing something down in his little black book the entire time. Don't know what.

I wouldn't call Sparky's actions a 'melt down'. To me that implies, his reactions were a result of his own actions. He was acting defensively for what was happening throughout this game and, in retrospect, perhaps was being pro-active for future games. He's not going to be looked at as 'the guy they can push around because he's totally focused on the game' anymore

I hope you understand that was all in fun.

So we're down two regualr D-men. That hurts.

Yes, but our #5-6 D. SCSU is down their top scorer (goal scoring and pts/gm). They do have their top goalie back. In this situation, I'd prefer to have Sparky over Finley as I believe we'll need the offense more than the defense. SCSU may make me eat my words, but I hope not.