SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs MSUM -- Sat night

brianvf

2 Questions on Saturday's game:

1. Did Porter begin the game playing on a line with Watkins and Kozek and then move up to the first line? Or was he caught in the line change when he scored that first goal?

2. How did that assist from Radke get across the blue line that Toews skated to and scored (on the PP)? The replay wasn't sure how that happened exactly.

thanks!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he took his right glove off and started throwing punches, most of them hitting one the AR's

Since most of us watching TV and maybe Zelkin didn't see it, guess it might too much, then, to expect the AR not to have see it :D

An opportunity lost; could have been Adam or little Shep with his head in the way :D

2 Questions on Saturday's game:

1. Did Porter begin the game playing on a line with Watkins and Kozek and then move up to the first line? Or was he caught in the line change when he scored that first goal?

2. How did that assist from Radke get across the blue line that Toews skated to and scored (on the PP)? The replay wasn't sure how that happened exactly.

thanks!

Duncan had been out on the power play seconds earlier, allowing Porter to be on the ice at the time of the goal. This was according to Tim Henessey and Greg Lotysz.

Porter came out on the ice with Kozek and Watkins. Watkins won the faceoff in the Sioux zone that led to the breakout pass that sprung Kozek. I clearly remember this because Porter had been skating with Stafford and Toews up to that point. I see that Clayton has explained why this happened.

Radke was trying to dump the puck in, but a Maverick player deflected the shoot-in with his stick. The puck sort of blooped up in the air and came down behind the defense. I don't think the Mavs had any idea where the puck went.

I talked to Toews after the game and he was as surprised as anybody that the puck just happened to land right in front of him. He said that he thought the play might be whistled offsides, but it wasn't.

I watched the gophers score a lucky goal on Friday night on TV, where a shot attempted went off a CC skate straight to Wheeler. It looked like a sweet pass but it wasn't. I said to myself "when am I going to see the Sioux be a recipient of such good fortune?" Lo and behold it was just the following night, on TV, for Toew's goal.

I watched the gophers score a lucky goal on Friday night on TV, where a shot attempted went off a CC skate straight to Wheeler. It looked like a sweet pass but it wasn't. I said to myself "when am I going to see the Sioux be a recipient of such good fortune?" Lo and behold it was just the following night, on TV, for Toew's goal.

Actually, in the second game against the Gophers at the Ralph this season, the Sioux scored two goals that were the result of very good fortune. Chorney's shot would have gone well wide of the net if it hadn't deflected off a Gopher player.

Prpich's goal was almost a comedy of errors that turned out right. Duncan tried to center the puck from behind the net, but it hit the side of the net and bounced to Kozek. Kozek then tried to center it, but it bounced off a Gopher's skate and directly on to Prpich's stick.

Actually, in the second game against the Gophers at the Ralph this season, the Sioux scored two goals that were the result of very good fortune. Chorney's shot would have gone well wide of the net if it hadn't deflected off a Gopher player.

Prpich's goal was almost a comedy of errors that turned out right. Duncan tried to center the puck from behind the net, but it hit the side of the net and bounced to Kozek. Kozek then tried to center it, but it bounced off a Gopher's skate and directly on to Prpich's stick.

Geez, haven't you been reading around here? I can remember stuff from high school, but last month? Come on....

Didn't Bochenski score a goal vs. the Gophers that was hokier than that? Something like off of a defender's ankle into the net from behind the net?

Switching the game DQ from Spirko to Finley would not be a "DECREASE of any penalties assessed" during the game, but would instead be simply a REALLOCATION of those penalties based on the NOTE that the PDA has a responsibility to identify the proper penalized player.

That's what apparently happened. All I can say is that this was a really screwed up situation and I doubt that Greg Shepherd has heard the last of it.

That's what apparently happened. All I can say is that this was a really screwed up situation and I doubt that Greg Shepherd has heard the last of it.

Interesting. A good lesson in the old adage that one should never say never. It is the right and fair correction of the record. I'd wager that if Spirko's family had not made a 6,000 mile trip at their expense to see, perhaps for the only time, their son play at The Ralph, Shepherd would have never done it.

Shows me the guy has a bit of sense. Unfortunately, the reversal hurts the Sioux more as a team what with being down two d-men against the dreaded Huskies.

Interesting. A good lesson in the old adage that one should never say never.

The NCAA says "never" and that's been the way they've always played it. It you remember the infamous Cory Larose incident from 2000, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Shepherd found a loophole that shouldn't have been there and used it. Whether that was a wise move or not remains to be seen.

It is the right and fair correction of the record.
Is it right that Rankin got DQed for fighting and Spirko didn't? Did Chris Harington do something against Niagara that Oshie didn't do against Mankato?

I'd wager that if Spirko's family had not made a 6,000 mile trip at their expense to see, perhaps for the only time, their son play at The Ralph, Shepherd would have never done it.

A lot of people will probably disagree with me for saying this, but I don't think the fact that Spirko's parents were here from Slovakia should have any bearing on the decision.

A lot of people will probably disagree with me for saying this, but I don't think the fact that Spirko's parents were here from Slovakia should have any bearing on the decision.

My first thought when I read that statement was, "Boy cow doo doo." Or words to that affect. Besides having no heart, why/how would Shepard care/know that Sparky's family was here?

IMHO, his family being here had no impact on the decision. I think that after reviewing the film, he saw that Finley should have a DQ and Sparky's only other choice in the matter would have been to have the stuffing kicked out of him (which is what happens when you 'turn the other cheek').

Yes, I doubt there was anything more than either Zelkin admitting he got the # wrong or Shepard changing it to the proper player. It's one thing to overrule a violation given by the ref on the ice. It's another to make sure that a game suspension is assigned to the proper player.

IMHO, his family being here had no impact on the decision.

I don't know whether it did or not. All I'm saying is that if it did, it shouldn't have.

I think that after reviewing the film, he saw that Finley should have a DQ and Sparky's only other choice in the matter would have been to have the stuffing kicked out of him (which is what happens when you 'turn the other cheek').

If Spirko hadn't retaliated after Rankin's cheap shot (and it was clearly a cheap shot), the incident probably never would have escalated to the level that it did. I don't blame Spirko for retaliating because I probably would have done the same thing. I'm only pointing out that he wasn't entirely blameless in what happened.

Yes, I doubt there was anything more than either Zelkin admitting he got the # wrong or Shepard changing it to the proper player. It's one thing to overrule a violation given by the ref on the ice. It's another to make sure that a game suspension is assigned to the proper player.

What exactly did Finley do that warranted a fighting DQ? I'm asking because I honestly didn't see it.

Based on what I did see, I wouldn't have questioned Zelkin if he had DQed Oshie and Radke, as well as the Mankato players they were paired off against.

I don't understand how Rankin ends up with a fighting DQ and Spirko doesn't. I heard Jutting and Hakstol discussing the penalties after the game and I got the impression that neither coach seemed to believe that Spirko and Rankin deserved fighting DQs.

I don't know whether it did or not. All I'm saying is that if it did, it shouldn't have.

If Spirko hadn't retaliated after Rankin's cheap shot (and it was clearly a cheap shot), the incident probably never would have escalated to the level that it did. I don't blame Spirko for retaliating because I probably would have done the same thing. I'm only pointing out that he wasn't entirely blameless in what happened.

Yep. :lol:

I don't understand how Rankin ends up with a fighting DQ and Spirko doesn't. I heard Jutting and Hakstol discussing the penalties after the game and I got the impression that neither coach seemed to believe that Spirko and Rankin deserved fighting DQs.

I can now answer my own question. I looked at the new box score here and see that neither Spirko nor Rankin were given fighting DQs.

Based on what I did see, I wouldn't have questioned Zelkin if he had DQed Oshie and Radke, as well as the Mankato players they were paired off against.

I

I totally agree. I thought Oshie would take the boot, because he kept going after the joker with whom he was engaged. Even after the linesman pulled them apart. Only problem there is, Oshie has family in from out of town too!! The new exception to the rule. DQ's for fighting, unless a player can show paid plane fare and hotel receipts from kin within two bloodlines and who live more than 1000 miles away.

I totally agree. I thought Oshie would take the boot, because he kept going after the joker with whom he was engaged. Even after the linesman pulled them apart. Only problem there is, Oshie has family in from out of town too!! The new exception to the rule. DQ's for fighting, unless a player can show paid plane fare and hotel receipts from kin within two bloodlines and who live more than 1000 miles away.

From what I saw I would agree with this as well. I didn't see anything Finley did that would result in a DQ.

Could it be that Hakstol and Jutting got together and agreed to shift the DQ's to Finley and Cummings (I think) ? Hakstol would agree to this since Spirko's family is in town, also he might not want to split up the forward lines as they seem to be finally clicking. Jutting might prefer Cummings suspended rather then the initial Mankato player (I assume there was a different Mankato player ejected originally, can't find a box score that shows the Spirko DQ to verify). Then they both went to Shepard and asked that the DQ's be changed.

What exactly did Finley do that warranted a fighting DQ? I'm asking because I honestly didn't see it.

I can say I wish I had a tape of this game to review. I don't know what Finley did either, but I think someone posted here in the last couple of days that he took a couple of punches at someone. I didn't see it on camera myself. I only used the word "proper" in the assumption that that would be the mechanism for Shepard to make a change.

As for Rankin, I must be wrong but I was thinking he wasn't given a DQ at all. That led me to be more confused because I thought Sparky was fighting with Rankin and didn't understand why Sparky got a DQ and Rankin didn't. I figured he must have fought with someone else. Now it makes more sense.

Yeah, I could see him DQ'ing Oshie too, though I don't think punches were thrown in that case, it was certainly a more robust wrestling match and probably would have escalated had they not been seperated.