SiouxSports.com Forum

PHIL #1

shep

So with his first career shutout, followed by a game in which he saw more rubber than a tire company and prevented it from being a double-digit score, followed by a game in which he was clearly the player who made the difference, is Phil the #1 goalie??

I hope so.

I was there last year when Parise almost single handedly won the Wisconsin game that really turned the season around and I loved what he did during that stretch.

I see great similarities to what Phil is doing NOW.

That was then; this is now. Let's move on with Phil!!!!

I thought it was great though that people finally started to admit that the Sioux play different based on you his in net. The stat showed during the game was closer than I expected, but when Phil is in net they only average 1.9 goals per game, while they average 4 when Parise is in net. I am not sure why. Maybe its some personality issues. Does anyone know any interworkings of the team? Does Phil get along with everyone? I can't explain it, maybe its a confidence issue, or conincidence. Until the whole team changes the way they play with Phil in the net, it will always influence on whether or not he will get the start.

He played great all weekend, although he did get frustrated after awhile on Friday, but who wouldn't; your team playing like crap and you getting shell-shocked the whole game. I feel though, that if Parise had been healthy, Hakstol would not have hesitated to put him in on Saturday. I have always felt he was a excellent goaltender. Hopefully he will get his chances and the team will begin to step up for him.

I thought it was great though that people finally started to admit that the Sioux play different based on you his in net. The stat showed during the game was closer than I expected, but when Phil is in net they only average 1.9 goals per game, while they average 4 when Parise is in net. I am not sure why. Maybe its some personality issues. Does anyone know any interworkings of the team? Does Phil get along with everyone? I can't explain it, maybe its a confidence issue, or conincidence. Until the whole team changes the way they play with Phil in the net, it will always influence on whether or not he will get the start.

He played great all weekend, although he did get frustrated after awhile on Friday, but who wouldn't; your team playing like crap and you getting shell-shocked the whole game. I feel though, that if Parise had been healthy, Hakstol would not have hesitated to put him in on Saturday. I have always felt he was a excellent goaltender. Hopefully he will get his chances and the team will begin to step up for him.

Woog said during Sat's game that Hakstol said "you bet!" when Woog asked if the team played differently in front of Lammy than in front of Parise. No elaboration was forthcoming, but maybe they have more confidence in Parise as they've had more experience with him as the main guy. Just conjecturing. Anyway, I think Lammy has earned their confidence over the last several games. He may not have been perfect, but he's done very very well.

Parise is significantly better than Phil. Phil does a fine job and would start on a lot of teams, but Parise gives us the best chance to go far in the postseason.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I'll disagree.

Phil and Jordy are very similar in quality. Jordy's been around longer and is proven in the playoffs. How can you argue with Jordy's 1.50 GAA and .9415 Save% in post season play?

What I do believe is that Jordy's really the goaltender the Sioux play best for and, for that reason, Phil cannot be named #1. Phil's played REALLY well, so I understand how it isn't fair to name him #2.

Hence, the goaltender rotation.

jordy has played in way more big games but phil stepped up last night in which i considered a huge game for sioux. if we have to play phil because of jordys injury every night then it can only make phil better but i believe we will see both if healthy. i have no problem with either one of them. big win last night and lets get on a roll starting with the land cows!!

I think we have to give Kudos to Lammy at the end of last night's game. Phil made a huge save just before the Zajac goal and it was an amazing save that changes things fast, the boys dug down deep and headed back up the ice and burried the puck. Good things happen when the offensive guys move their feet and keep digging. Character play by character guys.

That's my point exactly.

I don't think Phil was to blame for Friday nights game, as he was basically the only player that showed. He made some great saves to keep us in it as long as we were. With that being said, if the team will play better on Friday nights in front of Parise, put him in! We need to start playing two hockey games a weekend, rather than only showing one night. The team needs to figure out that they have to play both nights, regardless of who's in net.

I could be wrong about this, but usually a coach likes to ride one goalie into the post season.

I attended UND during the Casey-Jensen years, and I can't recall how Gino did it, but I don't remember them taking turns in the playoffs.

Am I wrong?

I could be wrong about this, but usually a coach likes to ride one goalie into the post season.

I attended UND during the Casey-Jensen years, and I can't recall how Gino did it, but I don't remember them taking turns in the playoffs.

Am I wrong?

Generally, you're right... barring injury. In 2000, Blais fully intended to ride Goehring all playoffs long but a concussion took Karl out for the entire Final Five. Kollar did very well.

However, if you use that argument, shep, then you're going to lose in this tandem. Phil has a big goosegg in post season play whereas Jordan's numbers are pretty darned good. I doubt Hakstol would put anyone but Jordy in net for the NCAAs unless Jordy seriously melted down.

However, I wouldn't be surprised, if Phil kept this up, if Phil gets some playing time at the Final Five.

Is Jordy even healthy?

I think you have to ride the hot goaltender. Phil proved that he is worthy of being called the #1 guy. I am no goaltender, (or coach for that matter) but you hear so much talk of the "mental" part of a goalies' game. I would assume after this weekend that Phil's confidence is sky high and that should be taken advantage of.

On the other hand, It's an advantage to have your goalies rested and fresh down the streach, not worn down by playing both nights every weekend. I guess I don't know what to think on this issue.

If only we could find a way to convince the rest of the team the FRIDAY game is REALLY "the Saturday Game"! (we'll worry about the 2nd game later...) It's really bizarre how slow UND has been on Fridays then they turn on the afterburners on Saturdays...gotta fix that!

EXACTLY!!

Some have used the rationale for playing Parise instead of Phil is that the "team" plays better in front of him.

I don't understand that, and in some ways it turns the issue on its head as ostensibly a team may let down or relax in front of what they perceive to be the better goalie.

Redwing makes a good point about Goering/Kollar and how injury can make the coach's decision, and I agree with riding the hot hand. That said, if Parise doesn't play this weekend, and Phil plays like he did last weekend what happens?

Phil is not getting much attention by the media like Parise did last year. But Phil is getting twenty more shots a game. He didnt even get the player of the game Saturday. :silly:

Actually, if my math is correct, shots are pretty equal. Jordan faces about 32 shots per game, Phil about 30.

Redwing makes a good point about Goering/Kollar and how injury can make the coach's decision, and I agree with riding the hot hand. That said, if Parise doesn't play this weekend, and Phil plays like he did last weekend what happens?

A split. Mankato wins on Friday and we win on Saturday. To make matters worse, the Friday loss will be embarrassing. A note to say that the Friday loss won't be Phil's fault really.

The goaltender alone doesn't make the team. UND lately has been coming out slow on Fridays. Against talented teams or determined teams it doesn't matter how "hot" the goaltender is. Look at Jordy's last loss. It was the Harvard game. I don't care what you think about Jordan, but how do you play a game like Jordan did and lose? I mean, he made ONE mistake and it cost him. Does that mean that Jordan's a poor goaltender? That he didn't come to play? I looked at the scoreboard and I saw that 0 underneath the UND portion of the scoreboard and I thought that spoke much more than goaltender "hotness."

If we are to start winning it doesn't just come down to the goaltender. We have two quality goaltenders (Yes, Jordan is a great goaltender) It comes to two basic things: Offense and team defense. Goaltenders who can steal games all by themselves are very rare. That's why Karl Goehring was so special. Phil and Jordy have moments of this type of play but it is extremely irrational to expect that kind of performance from ANY goaltender! Therefore we HAVE to play better IN FRONT OF our goaltender and THAT is the main issue here, not who should be the #1 goaltender.

The goaltender alone doesn't make the team. UND lately has been coming out slow on Fridays. Against talented teams or determined teams it doesn't matter how "hot" the goaltender is. Look at Jordy's last loss. It was the Harvard game. I don't care what you think about Jordan, but how do you play a game like Jordan did and lose?

Jordan didn't play that game against Harvard that you are referring to...It was Phil in net for that game. Jordan played Saturday night when they won.

Okay, let's look at some of the statistics for the weekend for Phil.

8 GA - 6 were PPG - 2 were 5x3 - only 2 were 5x5 all weekend.

Friday night he faced 48 shots.

Saturday night he faced 43 shots.

That is still a .912 save percentage.

Phil was not the problem. Anyone remember the "winning" years? UND was outshooting the opponents almost every night. You do not get outshot almost every night and expect to win a whole lot of games. Those kids need to start making good passes, generating shots, and working hard. The only period I liked all weekend was the 3rd on Saturday. I thought they consistently played like this team should throughout that period.

BTW, I like how Lucia-pet brushes off the loss by saying they (UND) stepped it up a notch and we (UM) dropped down a notch. Is he really that arrogant?

Okay, let's look at some of the statistics for the weekend for Phil.

8 GA - 6 were PPG - 2 were 5x3 - only 2 were 5x5 all weekend.

Friday night he faced 48 shots.

Saturday night he faced 43 shots.

That is still a .912 save percentage.

Phil was not the problem. Anyone remember the "winning" years? UND was outshooting the opponents almost every night. You do not get outshot almost every night and expect to win a whole lot of games. Those kids need to start making good passes, generating shots, and working hard. The only period I liked all weekend was the 3rd on Saturday. I thought they consistently played like this team should throughout that period.

BTW, I like how Lucia-pet brushes off the loss by saying they (UND) stepped it up a notch and we (UM) dropped down a notch. Is he really that arrogant?

Actually UND has been outshot a lot of games and still managed to win 15 games.

Actually UND has been outshot a lot of games and still managed to win 15 games.

I know, and that's what really gives me an uneasy feeling about this team.

And can I get some physical play in front of the net, please?:silly: I know I'm not the first person to ask this, but I'd like it just as much.

Lucia's statement looks pretty accurate to me.

If the Sioux hadn't "stepped it up a notch" on Saturday - we would have gotten our azzes kicked.

As for the rodents dropping a notch - I think they did. It didn't look to me like their passes were any where near as crisp as Friday night and they didn't finish on scoring chances. YES - the Sioux had a lot to do with that , but it is not unreasonable or arrogant to say they (Minnesota)dropped a notch.

We should be thrilled we won. The game could have went either way. How bout we start concentrating on the land cows ?

I think Lucia is a classy coach despite my being a Sioux fan.