SiouxSports.com Forum

Bina sign at gophs game

AZSIOUX

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad that most of you realize that these are just STUPID students that make these signs and not actual Gopher fans. It is too bad that UND players had to take the sign away and security did not. I'm just glad that an incident did not break out when they took the sign away, otherwise the Sioux players could have gotten into some heat for it, which would have been wrong seeing they just doing the right thing by taking it away. Most of the time signs are not even allowed into Mariucci, but thats what you get when you hire security people that are older then dirt.

Thats the problem with the Gophers student section nowdays, it's all preppy, Banana Republic wearing hippies. The only dedicated student section we have anymore is over in Section 2 where WPOS and his crew are, they are the only ones that really do the cheers and cheer for the team.

Fire Helmet Guy, I've read your posts on this board and you sound like a decent guy, but I have to disagree with you on the actions of the students in Section 2. I was at the John on Friday night in section 2 row 11. Obviously I have no idea who WPOS is, or where he sits in section 2, or if he even still even sits there, but I can tell you about the students in Section 2 on Friday night. There was a group of about 8 to 10 firing off racist commentary for the entire game, organized chants. I honestly can not believe a decent Gopher fan or some security person could not have at least told these ignorant idiots to shut the hell up. Parents with small children sitting right in front of these students as they chanted derogatory and racist statements about native americans, I don't think I need to give examples of what was said, but if you want me to, I will get back later. It's funny, how an institution like the U of M, that has adopted the SCSU policy of not even mentioning the nickname "Fighting Sioux" over the P.A., allows their fans to come to a University arena and spout their racist statements, and believe me, at times, a majority of the time, everyone in that section could hear them. Not once, were they ever talked to. I have been to games at SCSU, Duluth, UW, DU, and have never heard what I heard from this group on Friday, it was appalling, and an embarrassment to decent U of M fans, I know there are a few out there.

It doesn't surprise me that people make signs like this. I don't blame it on Gopher fans, as there are Sioux fans, Pioneer fans, CC fans, and every other type of fans who would do the same thing. The unfortunate here is that everyone knows what the "short bus" refers to. Society allowed that to happen. However, the majority of society have come to realize that this term isn't politically correct, but there will always be people who do this for whatever reason. In the past few weeks, I've seen people use the word "retard' right on this board, and I find that equally offensive. I work with students with mental retardation five days a week. They're not just at the mild level, but rather the severe level. These people spend their entire life behind the eight ball, simply because of their disability. To make things worse for them, people make fun of them on a regular basis. Behavior like this is unacceptable, and I wish that anyone who did display this type of behavior could spend one day in the life of one of my students, to educate them on the difficulty that people with disabilities have to go through every single day. Unfortunately, we'll just have to continue to put up with the hooligans.

Kudo's to you Siouxdonyms. As a parent of a special needs child, I can assure you that people such as yourself who dedicate their lives to work with these truly extraordinary individuals are viewed by us as angels here on earth. As for me, I'll ride the short bus all day long. No better place to meet a great bunch of people. ???

Kudo's to you Siouxdonyms. As a parent of a special needs child, I can assure you that people such as yourself who dedicate their lives to work with these truly extraordinary individuals are viewed by us as angels here on earth. As for me, I'll ride the short bus all day long. No better place to meet a great bunch of people. ???

You're a parent of a child with special needs (person first :lol: ). Thanks for the compliment. It definitely doesn't pay in the wallet, but I go to bed every night feeling great. People have told me that I should go to administration in education, but if I were to go that route, I wouldn't be working with the kids, and that's what I live for (that and Sioux hockey). My students don't ride a "short bus", but rather a regular school bus that has been adapted for wheelchairs. Like you, I'll ride it all the time, just to be with some awesome kids. Now we just need to educate the rest of the world on how awesome these people are, once you take the time to get to know them.

We may have the most "classless" fans, but I promise you we also have the most "classy" fans.

Which ones are the "classy" ones, sagard? The ones who yell "Sioux suck" constantly or the ones yelling the "worthless piece of sh**" chant after every penalty called against the opposing team?

Which ones are the "classy" ones, sagard? The ones who yell "Sioux suck" constantly or the ones yelling the "worthless piece of sh**" chant after every penalty called against the opposing team?

I doubt sagard, Greyeagle, and even WPoS do those things at the games. I'm also sure that 90 percent of the Mariucci crowd doesn't do those things.

The chants are really stupid and infantile, but I don't think that makes them classless. We have our own stupid infantile chants. We say the "Gophers suck" all the time! It's the PC crowd that doesn't understand that when the Gopher fans yell "Sioux suck" they are talking about the sports team and not the people.

I've always maintained that no one has to like a particular program, but respecting them whether they are undefeated or winless should be part of the deal. That means no insensitive signs, no throwing stuff onto the ice before, during, or after the game (unless it is a hat after a hattrick or an intermission game like "Chuck a Puck"), and so on.

I guess the Mariucci crowd did not show good behavior this past weekend and I think Diggler and gang have it right on: The main people to blame for this is whoever was the dunce that thought that there wasn't a need for tighter security at this series. I would think that, for home series vs. UND and UW, there would be very tight security.

I guess the Mariucci crowd did not show good behavior this past weekend and I think Diggler and gang have it right on: The main people to blame for this is whoever was the dunce that thought that there wasn't a need for tighter security at this series. I would think that, for home series vs. UND and UW, there would be very tight security.

I think they cut the entire security budget this year. For years there has been yellow coated ushers that prevent people from walking down during play and who would quickly check on people struck by pucks. I don't remember seeing them at all this year. My guess is the "U" decided to try saving the $60 per usher X 30 ushers X 23 home games. It's was an embarassing, but I'm guessing they yellow coats will be back this weekend.

Fire Helmet Guy, I've read your posts on this board and you sound like a decent guy, but I have to disagree with you on the actions of the students in Section 2. I was at the John on Friday night in section 2 row 11. Obviously I have no idea who WPOS is, or where he sits in section 2, or if he even still even sits there, but I can tell you about the students in Section 2 on Friday night. There was a group of about 8 to 10 firing off racist commentary for the entire game, organized chants. I honestly can not believe a decent Gopher fan or some security person could not have at least told these ignorant idiots to shut the hell up. Parents with small children sitting right in front of these students as they chanted derogatory and racist statements about native americans, I don't think I need to give examples of what was said, but if you want me to, I will get back later. It's funny, how an institution like the U of M, that has adopted the SCSU policy of not even mentioning the nickname "Fighting Sioux" over the P.A., allows their fans to come to a University arena and spout their racist statements, and believe me, at times, a majority of the time, everyone in that section could hear them. Not once, were they ever talked to. I have been to games at SCSU, Duluth, UW, DU, and have never heard what I heard from this group on Friday, it was appalling, and an embarrassment to decent U of M fans, I know there are a few out there.

Actually, that IS my group, and actually I was telling that one person specifically to be quiet and clean up his act. He was embarassing me....yelling at kids, and trying to pick fights is NOT my bag....

I doubt sagard, Greyeagle, and even WPoS do those things at the games. I'm also sure that 90 percent of the Mariucci crowd doesn't do those things.

The chants are really stupid and infantile, but I don't think that makes them classless. We have our own stupid infantile chants. We say the "Gophers suck" all the time! It's the PC crowd that doesn't understand that when the Gopher fans yell "Sioux suck" they are talking about the sports team and not the people.

I've always maintained that no one has to like a particular program, but respecting them whether they are undefeated or winless should be part of the deal. That means no insensitive signs, no throwing stuff onto the ice before, during, or after the game (unless it is a hat after a hattrick or an intermission game like "Chuck a Puck"), and so on.

Actually MM, if you think of my handle, I DO like the penalty cheer and DO participate in it lustily....but I DO try to refrain from stuff I would have said 5-10 years ago.....but I will ALWAYS do the "traditional" (see the "cheers" section on GPL if you are at ALL interested in the "tradional" cheers/chants) cheers for ANY team we play against. And yes, If I yell "Sioux Suck" it is the team not the native peoples I am saying sucks...my guide, I'll yell it if I hear it on Clear Channel radio stations or on FOX TV stations..

As for our security, you need your AARP card to be a member....they can't move that fast!

Clueless University of Minnesota students (but I repeat myself), didn't they realize that Robbie is out for the season? Why target a guy who is medically ineligible?

If you want to do the "short joke" (real creative talent there I say) why not target Phillippe Lamoureux, a guy who will actually be playing?

(Now re-read the first five words of this post.)

It doesn't surprise me that people make signs like this. I don't blame it on Gopher fans, as there are Sioux fans, Pioneer fans, CC fans, and every other type of fans who would do the same thing. The unfortunate here is that everyone knows what the "short bus" refers to. Society allowed that to happen. However, the majority of society have come to realize that this term isn't politically correct, but there will always be people who do this for whatever reason. In the past few weeks, I've seen people use the word "retard' right on this board, and I find that equally offensive. I work with students with mental retardation five days a week. They're not just at the mild level, but rather the severe level. These people spend their entire life behind the eight ball, simply because of their disability. To make things worse for them, people make fun of them on a regular basis. Behavior like this is unacceptable, and I wish that anyone who did display this type of behavior could spend one day in the life of one of my students, to educate them on the difficulty that people with disabilities have to go through every single day. Unfortunately, we'll just have to continue to put up with the hooligans.

Lets go easy throwing around the term "Hooligans", I work with a group of them down in Fargo that might take offense to that. Great post though.

I didn't see it but I believe that NorthDakotaHockey did and to be honest with you - it really doesn't suprize me that the Goof fans did this as nothing they do suprizes me anymore. I have been to every college hockey arena in this state (along with a few out if state) and the Goof fans are by far the most arrogant and classless.

Every school has idiots that do things like this. Last year at the final five two Sioux fans had very tasteless signs calling Hirsch crazy. After the game was over they almost got their butts kicked by Chucko's dad and some other parents. One mother of a player was actually in tears over it.

It's pathetic to even think about bringing a sign to a game making fun of Bina, but it was no worse than what those two Sioux fans did last year. For you to say that gopher fans are the most classless because of this is very hypocritical on your part.

Every school has idiots that do things like this. Last year at the final five two Sioux fans had very tasteless signs calling Hirsch crazy. After the game was over they almost got their butts kicked by Chucko's dad and some other parents. One mother of a player was actually in tears over it.

It's pathetic to even think about bringing a sign to a game making fun of Bina, but it was no worse than what those two Sioux fans did last year. For you to say that gopher fans are the most classless because of this is very hypocritical on your part.

You seem to know an awfull lot of details without anyway of verifying. How convenient. Your screen name is classy though.

You seem to know an awfull lot of details without anyway of verifying. How convenient. Your screen name is classy though.

Without any way of verifying it? It happened in my section a few rows ahead of me. After the game numerous parents of gopher players went over and took the sign away from him and ripped it up right there on the spot. Chucko's dad was nose to nose with the sioux fan and they had to be separated. Security even had to get involved.

You think I'm making this up or do you just refuse to believe Sioux fans are capable of something like this? Is that why you said I have no way of verifying this story because you just can't believe it?

My point is that it's dumb to call any teams fanbase classless based on the actions of a few and that's exactly what you did. I don't group all Sioux fans in with those two idiots who had the sign at the final five and you shouldn't group all gopher fans in with those who had the Bina sign. Most Sioux fans I run into in Grand Forks are very nice and treat me with respect when I'm there supporting the Gophers and most Gopher fans treat visiting fans the same way at Mariucci.

If people would learn that generalizing an entire group of people based on the actions of a few is not logical, then the world would be a better place. The majority of all hockey fans I have met are pretty classy. Before the Gophs won the first of two recent NC's I never ran into a classless MN fan at Mariucci. My first really bad experience was at the X during the frozen 4. I was chearing for MN, but wearing a Sioux hat. A group of Gopher "fans" tried to get me and a Badger fan to fight. After the game, they proceeded to try and burn down Dinky Town.

I've seen Sioux fans go after guys wearing Gopher jerseys at the REA. I am not talking playful taunts, but actual physical aggression.

I think this problem is more wide spread than college hockey. Poltiticians have been generalizing the hell out of each other. Republicans are all racist, gun loving, war starting animals. Democrats are all pot smoking, Jane Fonda loving, hippies. What is sad is it appears that there is a substantial number of people in this country dumb enough to believe everything their respective media outlet tells them.

I think this problem is more wide spread than college hockey. Poltiticians have been generalizing the hell out of each other. Republicans are all racist, gun loving, war starting animals. Democrats are all pot smoking, Jane Fonda loving, hippies. What is sad is it appears that there is a substantial number of people in this country dumb enough to believe everything their respective media outlet tells them.

Don't forget that if you are a Liberal, you are "un American"

But yeah, right on with this comment.

I go to Hockey games to get away from Logic & the real world & yell & watch the game -(I'm into every play & every moment of the game - Not to socialize or get excited about what the students are doing.

But don't stand up in front of me all night, or you will hear about it, no matter who you are.

If everyone sits everyone can see - it is the ultimate selfishness, to jump up & block the view of others - let alone stand all the time

For the record, my buddy and I were at Mariucci on Friday night. We figured if this game was out of hand either way is when we'd get grief. Well, we know how the game went. We didn't get a single comment from gopher fans throughout the game. The usher was very nice to us when he talked with us after the game. And a student in full get-up walked up the steps, tipped his hat and said "better luck tomorrow". Everyone else pretty much ignored us. I think that was pretty acceptable, all-in-all.

For the record, my buddy and I were at Mariucci on Friday night. We figured if this game was out of hand either way is when we'd get grief. Well, we know how the game went. We didn't get a single comment from gopher fans throughout the game. The usher was very nice to us when he talked with us after the game. And a student in full get-up walked up the steps, tipped his hat and said "better luck tomorrow". Everyone else pretty much ignored us. I think that was pretty acceptable, all-in-all.

I had the same type of experience Friday night. The fans around me were annoying, per usual, but none of them actually said anything to me. That's been the norm of my Mariucci experience. The only time I can recall being hassled at Mariucci was at the '03 regional Ferris State Debacle. I've witnessed more taunting and obnoxious behavior from Gopher fans at the Ralph than I ever have at Mariucci.

Bucky sucks is right about the Hirsch sign, I was at the game when the incident occurred. I wrote about it after the final five game. Like it has been discussed before, every program has there good and bad fans. Also, I've been to every arena in the league as well as some eastern schools and to me CC fans has some of the most obnoxious fans I have encountered. It helps that you can drink in the arena. As for Arrogant, Minnesota has there share but so do the Sioux. I can't count how many times a Sioux fan came up to me at the Ralph this year or at the Frozen four last year and reminded me that the Sioux have seven championships compared to Five that the Gophers have. There were even signs in the arena that showed this.