SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba loses his o-coordinator

UND92,96

In what seems like kind of an odd move, Dan Ragsdale is going from UMD to MSU-Mankato to take the offensive coordinator position. That seems like a step down to me, considering Duluth was a playoff team and returns most of their skill position players, and Mankato hasn't had a sniff of the playoffs since the early 90's. In any event, you have to wonder whether now Mankato will go to the pass-on-every-down offense, and whether UMD will stick with it under a new coordinator.

You never discussed that he may make more money at Mankato.

I assume that must be an issue, but traditionally Mankato hasn't been known for paying their assistants very well. For example, Chris Mussman was the offensive coordinator there, and resigned to take the offensive line coach position at UND. Voluntarily going from an offensive coordinator to a line coach within the same conference is almost unheard of. Granted, that was several years ago, but I've never gotten the impression that football is a real priority there. It's probably no coincidence they're consistently near the bottom of the conference.

UMD star receiver Greg Aker hadn't spoken with Ragsdale directly but said the move may have been made in part because of financial reasons. Aker said he had spoken Wednesday with UMD quarterback Ted Schlafke, who had talked to Ragsdale."I'm disappointed that UMD wasn't able to step to the plate to keep him," Aker said. "This will be the fourth offense I've had to learn in five years, so I guess I'm used to it. I hope the new offense keeps it pretty wide-open. That was a lot of fun last year."

Neither Ragsdale or Schlafke could be reached Wednesday night. The answering machine on Ragsdale's cell phone still noted he was UMD's offensive coordinator

WTF, what kind of reporter quotes a guy who had talked to a guy who had talked to the guy?

• 4 weeks later...

Bubba loses his o-coordinator...and now his Assistant Coach.

"Nate Gibbs, a member of the University of Minnesota Duluth football coaching staff since 2000, is stepping down as a Bulldog assistant coach to accept a position with Edward Jones Investments in Atlanta, Geo."

"...whose wife, Kim, is a native of the Atlanta area."

Kim doesn't like Duluth?

Bubba loses his o-coordinator...and now his Assistant Coach.

"Nate Gibbs, a member of the University of Minnesota Duluth football coaching staff since 2000, is stepping down as a Bulldog assistant coach to accept a position with Edward Jones Investments in Atlanta, Geo."

"...whose wife, Kim, is a native of the Atlanta area."

Kim doesn't like Duluth?

He was probably telling her way back when they were moving to Duluth, GA. Seems that maybe she didn't get the joke.

• 3 weeks later...
Tim Belmore Interviewing for OC Position for Bubba at Minn Duluth.....

Tim is a great Coach and a Asset to UND and the Community...I'm tired of Losing Good Guys...

Good Luck !.....Pretty Soon the NCC will not have a Team without a UND Connection.

Tim has decided to Stay at UND....Thats GREAT NEWS!

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I like Bubba while with the Sioux, he still hasn't proven that he can run a program. NO GOOD COACH would have pulled that kind of play-ground-flag-football kind of horsesh-t that he did at the end of the season. Looks like he had a lot of desparation with nothing to lose. All good coaches would try build for next year regardless of that seasons implications!!!!!!!!!! He is not only losing good recruits to average programs he is also losing average coaches to less than average programs. If it were not for his longevity with the Sioux I would say he is no better than Mike "3 Hour Cruise" Tice. After Bubba goes 7 and 4 this year (and should not be anywhere near a 4-way tie for the NCC crown) I think more people will realize how fortunate he was to be with the Sioux!!!!!!! Belmore clearly made the correct decision by trying to remain an ally of Lennon and stay with an unquestionably proven program.

By the way................Lennon (by himself) playing against USC this year, I would say Lennon 16 - USC 8. (One guy trying to cover a two-point conversion is pretty tough, especially when you were a RB in college).

Lennon (by himself) playing against Texas, I would say Lennon 34 - Texas 23. (Despite Lennon being known for defensive coaching ability he still gives up three TD's (Young only 1), but only gives up 2 out of 3 2-point coversions)).

Finally, Lennon (by himself, but does call for Roger Thomas as an eligible receiver on three plays) versus God...........Lennon 8 God 6 in OT. Lennon figures out the essence of stopping the 2-point conversion, and also denies Peter three times on 3rd down and short. Since it's Lent and I am Catholic I had to get St Peter some PR. :lol:

I'll bite:

I've spoken with Bubba several times about his spread-run-and-gun offense and he simply feels that is the best way his program can compete in the NCC at this time. With the talent level in transition from NSIC caliber to NCC caliber he had to work with what he had and that was playing to showcase the talent of the quarterback by spreading people out and letting him make throws. tUMD doesn't have the horses yet to run the ball consistently and opposing teams knew that so why even try? Play action in a pass-first offense isn't going to fool anyone at this level so no need to bother with that. I talked with him after the signing period and he still thinks they are going to pass most of the time but he will try to mix a few runs in there once in awhile but doesn't see a need to become a running team at this point. They got a few horses coming in that will help in the future, one being a tackle from Hill City that Michigan State was interested in.

NCC co-champs - who's to argue with that? And honestly a 7-4 record is just fine for our program at this point so I think most would be happy with that next season.

Good stuff about Lennon though. :lol: But how would he do against Ditka? ;)

And Bubba also hired the offensive line coach from the same school:

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/mens/football/i...1&story_id=2426

Remember Bill Parcells with the Giants? Otis Smith carries on 1st and 2nd down, Phil Simms passes to Mark Bavaro on 3rd and 4. Remember Bill Parcells with the Patriots? Drew Bledsoe set NFL records for pass attempts and completions in his second season.

Good coaches adapt to the talent on their team. Bubba is a good coach.

• 15 years later...