SiouxSports.com Forum

USA vs. Canada

WiSioux

Could somebody tell me(I'm not able to watch the game) why Walt Kyle pulled schneider with the score 2-2? I guess there must be some reason, so could anybody tell me?

If the US didn't win this game, they didn't automatically advance to the semifinals, which means another day of rest. A tie wouldn't have mattered, so it was pointless to leave Schneider in, rather than have the extra attacker.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Siouxdonyms and Siouxbear1. Wish we'd won. Damn, who to blame? Kessel, yeah, that's the ticket, it's Kessel's fault.

IMO, he definitely hasn't played to his potential or the hype that was talked about him, going into the tournament. He's been pretty quiet since Norway.

That guy better watch out later tonight, he's sleeping on foreign soil, and that foreign soil is the home team's home soil!

It was unfortunate to say the least. However, when it comes to payback it is usually done in the Pros so Downie will have his chance some day. The US is playing and coached like Kessel and Johnson are their only hope. They need to get all of the other talent involved because they played right into Canada's hands as their game plan was to focus specifically on those two players.

It was unfortunate to say the least. However, when it comes to payback it is usually done in the Pros so Downie will have his chance some day. The US is playing and coached like Kessel and Johnson are their only hope. They need to get all of the other talent involved because they played right into Canada's hands as their game plan was to focus specifically on those two players.

I thought pretty much the same thing. The defense was so tired, and you didn't even see the 4th line tonight (or at least I didn't). You bring all these players for a reason, and to not play them, simply because you don't think they can contribute is a lousy perspective to have. Well, gotta go, NESN is showing a special on Cam Neely!!!!

Jack Johnson with a tasteless move, elbowing the Canadian player, well behind the play after the goal was scored. Boot him off the team, we don't need that kind of character.

I defense of Jack Johnson, the Canadian player he hit with an elbow layed a pretty good slash on him just before he planted him in the ice. Of course the announcers fom TSN missed that. That being said pretty gutless act.

I thought pretty much the same thing. The defense was so tired, and you didn't even see the 4th line tonight (or at least I didn't). You bring all these players for a reason, and to not play them, simply because you don't think they can contribute is a lousy perspective to have. Well, gotta go, NESN is showing a special on Cam Neely!!!!

Same thing happened to Lee last year.

I'll be surprised if Johnson doesn't get suspended, after review, for the next game. Major cheap shot.

Canada played the entire third period with 3 men back at the blue line.

I'm pretty sure Canada outshot the US in the third so it's a bit of a stretch to suggest they were hanging back. I think Canada just played a smarter game than the US. They used all 4 lines because they could and the Canadian D was solid. Cam Barker is the second highest drafted player in this draft. He was selected after Malkin so I was not surprised to see how he manhandled Kessel on a few occassions. Kessel will have to get used to that type of play because Barker is a pretty averaged size NHL D man. He is roughly 6'3 and 215 to 220 pounds.

I have a CanadiEn shouting "Go Canada GO" in my ear as I'm reading this thread. :lol: Thanks guys for the updates and such. No hockey in Chicago (and I dont have cable)...least not where we can find. Sounds like Canada just played smarter hockey than us...I hope the US cleans up their act though with the cheap shots...we shouldn't have to play like that.

Go USA! (and Canada...sigh...) ;)

The game that hurt was the Swiss game. Had the US finished that game out they would likely have enjoyed the tie-break hammer that Canada used all game.

I hope they surprise me, but I don't see them beating the Russians and Canadians consecutively.

Just finished watching the tape delayed version on FSN. Where to begin? You could tell Kyle really wanted this game, rightly so, to avoid the quarterfinal game. I have a bad feeling the Sioux players on the U.S. team, especially the defensemen, are going to be completely gassed at the end of this tournament. Chorney and Lee played a ton, and they're four games into a seven game tournament.

Having only listened on the radio prior to this game, I was expecting to see Oshie have the impact he seemed to have earlier, but he looked tired to me most of tonight. Then he took a big slapper in the ankle with about five minutes left and limped to the bench, and I had to hold my breath until he came out for his next shift. Chorney scrapped and scrapped all game long, but seemed to have trouble with the puck bouncing against his stick throughout the game. Lee made steady plays throughout the game, but the shift where he and EJ couldn't get off the ice was painful to watch by the end of it.

Toews I expect to not be burnt out at the end of the tourney, at least physically, as he (first) seems to play a more regular shift on a deep Canadian team and (second) will play one less game. Toews made some nice little plays, but mostly didn't stand out to me. He's 17 in a tournament for 19-year olds, so just fitting in is a nice accomplissment. Interesting that the marquee draft prospects, Kessel and Toews, have zero goals through eight total games so far.

It was a riot seeing Toews trying to rag the puck with Lee and Chorney checking him. Also, at one point Paukovich checked Toews along the boards, nearly from behind. Had to hold my breath a little there too.

People had said ahead of time that Cogliano was perhaps as fast as Kessel, but it looked like Kessel was hand-down the fastest skater on the ice tonight. He just has another gear. I love the Sioux and dislike the Gophers (hate is such a strong word during the holidays), but if the kid was wearing green we would adore him. No doubt he's got his deficiencies, too (which is nice), and I'm sure we can check in here to read about them often.

I was really hoping Oshie would have a chance to line someone up for one of his patented wipeouts, but if it happened I missed it.

Back to the topic of WJC fatigue, I would seriously consider bringing other players, Miller or Alexander or someone, to Alaska and giving the WJC guys the weekend off. I know it would put the crucial UAA points at risk, but maybe they'd be at risk anyway with the rubber-legged kids out there. Seven games in two weeks is already a lot, and playing in Alaska would make it nine games. I'm not sure what the right answer is.

Anyway, good hockey to watch to send out 2005. Here's to a good 2006.

That canuck deserved that cheap shot from Jack Johnson, the canuck clearly slashed him right before he elbowed him. I would have done the same thing.

Well if you had looked at it really carefully on the replays you would have noticed that Johnson slashed him first. Downie then put his stick on the back of Johnson's leg as retalitation. Johnson then pretented everything was cool and looked away. He then smashed him in the head with his elbow. It was pretty gutless. At that point the game was basically over.

Well, if he is suspended, the Kessel/Johnson party will be over and maybe they'll use the rest of the talent to get us to the GOLD.

Johnson was not suspended. As for Downie, no word on whether he has a concussion or not. As a player he is an antagonist and clearly he pushed all of the right buttons with Johnson to send him over the edge like that.

In another post a suggestion was made to take other players to Alaska. I seem to recall Hak commenting several weeks ago that he was going to take the whole team to Alaska just in case the guys from the tournament were too tired to play.

We follow Steve Downie closely on the Flyers message boards since he was our first overall pick in 05. No doubt he is one of the chippier/dirtier players in major junior hockey but it does not seem as if Johnson's elbow was justified after having exchanged a couple of little slashes. Hard to believe he wasn't suspended.

Downie is no stranger to cheap shots. Before he was traded he cross checked a teammate in practice for, he claimed, not properly running a drill, although there is some speculation the incident was related to some off ice hazing. Dude lost some teeth over that one.

Frankly, Johnson's move was gutless. If you don't like the slash then drop the gloves. Settle it like men. In sum, Downie is no stranger to cheap shots, but he probably didn't deserve that one. He claims he is ok and has been hit harder. lol!

After watching the game last night, I have to voice a few of my opinions on the USA. I can't believe that Bobby Ryan was the second pick in the draft. I thought he was terrible. He had about five chances to walk out in front of the net on the powerplay and just stood in the corner. I think he is vastly overrated. Also, I think that Kyle did a poor coaching job in this game. It seemed as if the Kessel line was on the ice every other shift and you could tell towards the end of the game. The US is deep enough were they should be able to run four lines. I think Wheeler was on the ice about two or three shifts. Anyways hopefully they get another shot at the Canadians but it will be alot tougher now.

Didn't watch the game and I'm not going to comment on it.

However, I will comment on this talk about cheap shots.

I don't care who it is or what he did leading up to it, but no one deserves to be cheap shot. If Downie had cheap shot Johnson and Johnson retaliated in kind, I'd still be upset and both of them should have gone.

Cheap shots take away from the game and can be very dangerous. We all know that. We've beaten one cheap shot to death over and over again. If Johnson did cheap shot Downie then I wish he was suspended even if it is at the detriment to my team.

After watching the game last night, I have to voice a few of my opinions on the USA. I can't believe that Bobby Ryan was the second pick in the draft. I thought he was terrible. He had about five chances to walk out in front of the net on the powerplay and just stood in the corner. I think he is vastly overrated. Also, I think that Kyle did a poor coaching job in this game. It seemed as if the Kessel line was on the ice every other shift and you could tell towards the end of the game. The US is deep enough were they should be able to run four lines. I think Wheeler was on the ice about two or three shifts. Anyways hopefully they get another shot at the Canadians but it will be alot tougher now.

You obviously haven't followed the rest of the tournament, as Bobby Ryan has been played well in his other games. I did notice that he had an off night compared to his other games, which could have been for a variety of reasons. The US didn't play a good game last night, and IMO, it was the the game plan that the coach went in with. The US didn't use all of their players like they should have, and that hurt them in the end.