SiouxSports.com Forum

Nice game, Notes

sprig

Exciting game. I thought the guys looked gased in the third period.

I think UND showed that it can play with a lot of grit.

Interesting night.

Providence beat Maine.

SCCC beat the Gophers

UND and C.C. tied...

Perhaps most impressive for the Sioux was giving up only 2 power plays and allowing 0 PP goals. Had you told me that would be the stat before the game, I would've predicted that the Sioux would have won 7-3 or so.

Worries me a little because I'm not sure we can play so mistake-free tomorrow night, so we need to improve the goaltending or defense a bit to get the same result.

Should have been the GWG. Please don't let the boys back in with a lead in the third. Can't be getting back to last year's habits. Get 'em tomorrow.

I don't think you can compare this team to last year. The game would have been over after the 1st. period last year.

This years team has the nads to keep working for the comeback.

A tie isn't the greatest thing but 1 point is better than nothing.

The Sioux belong at the top of the rankings & should stay close to the top the rest of the year. A great game by the top 2 teams in the WCHA & probably the country.

Can't wait to see the goofer excuses for their loss to SCSU. Should be a wild week leading up to the Goof series, but the Sioux have to get 2 tomorrow.

Had to listen on the radio for this one :(

From the stats of it, David Hale had another monster game. Let's see, logged 40-45 minutes, per Sioux radio, on the ice for exactly zero goals against AGAIN, and was +1. Oh, and the CC PP was 0-fer on the night.

And the "checking line", #10-16-19 - none of THEM were on the ice for any of the goals allowed.

Can somebody who was there help me out:

Describe Notermann's highlight-reel goal?

How did Brandt play?

Did Palmiscno really play D? or was that just another head game the coaches were laying on CC? (how did he do?)

Was it a good / loud crowd?

I don't think you can compare this team to last year. The game would have been over after the 1st. period last year.

Guess I did that but didn't mean to; Notermann said in post game interview that he thought they sat back a bit after getting the third period lead. Since I only listened, didn't see it, no doubt it didn't resemble last year's prevent.

Not a bad outcome, at any rate.

Describe Notermann's highlight-reel goal?

How did Brandt play?

Did Palmiscno really play D? or was that just another head game the coaches were laying on CC? (how did he do?)

Was it a good / loud crowd?

Notermann's goal was a thing of beauty. Lundbohm hit him in stride with a pass just outside the CC zone. Coming down the right side, Jason turned on the jets and cut inside the defenseman and toward the goal. He dragged the puck across the top of the crease, waited for the goalie to go down and then put his shot over him. Wow!

As far as I know, Palmiscno never played defense, although he was listed on the line chart as a defenseman. I think it was just a way for Blais to get an extra forward on the bench. The one time I really noticed Palmiscno was on Noah Clarke's goal. Tyler just stood there as the puck sailed over his head, totally oblivious to the fact that it was going right to Clarke, who shot it in. I didn't see him on the ice much after that.

The crowd was fantastic -- probably the loudest I've ever heard it. Notermann's goal really got everyone pumped.

A very gritty effort by the Sioux to come back after getting completely outclassed in the first 12 minutes. It almost seemed that they were shellshocked upon seeing a team that was as fast, or faster, then they were. Also, CC forechecks and cycles the puck very well and that further exposes what I think remains the weakness in our team - puck movement out of the zone.

The play of the team as a whole was good however the players who had poor games really stood out tonite because they hurt the team. Schneider, Fuher and Hale had to log 80% of the ice time because Marvin and Leinweber.... couldn't. Connelly had numerous turnovers in his own zone, one of which led directly to a goal. Fylling and Palmiscino just stood around.

Prpich had a very good game. I just love this guy. He never lets down, not even for a second. Bochenski is a horse and forces teams to play him specifically, which CC did. Scott Owens said that "luckily, the puck never found his stick". Lundbohm, Spiewak, R. Hale and Massen looked very good as well.

I thought Jake Brandt had a very good game. Cullen skated in alone for the rebound on the first goal - Bochenski had a chance to tie him up but let him go and judging by his expression heading to the bench, I'm assuming he screwed up. The second goal was a wicked shot from Clarke. Polaski scores the third goal on a redirect because Connelly passes the puck right to Jozsa at the blue line.

He dragged the puck across the top of the crease, WAITED for the goalie to go down and then put his shot over him. Wow!

What do you mean he waited, he grabbed a cookie, took a bite, then put the puck up where Mom hides the cookies.

Could have been one of the nicest goals SO far this season.

Is this guy fast! :(

Palmo played at least three to four shifts on d during the first period and only one shift at forward after clarke's goal. In Tyler's defense on CC's second goal the puck was about 20-25 feet in the air over his head and he couldn't find it. The whole bench was yelling for him to look up, but the puck happened to come down right on clarke's stick, which lead to a very nice goal.

It is nice to see Notermann get some attention, which he deserves. But, did anyone happen to notice Massen last night? He played a great game. Three points and many great hits. I thought his play was as important to UND's performance as Note's.

In Connelly's defense, I thought the Connelly/Fylling/Massen line had the most consistent forechecking pressure of any Sioux line. They cycled like mad down there; the Canady/Genoway/Prpich line also had some nice third-period shifts.

The Sioux did not pull into a shell, IMO. For most of the three minutes between Notes' goal and Cullen's goal, the Sioux were in the CC end. In fact, I think it may have been a couple guys getting caught deep (maybe the Connelly/Fylling/Massen line) forechecking that led to the rush resulting in CC's fourth goal. So while it may not have been the smartest play, it at least wasn't pulling into a shell. I jinxed it by remarking (to myself) "way to keep up the pressure" just before CC scored. I'm not sure, but it may have been Fylling who was closest to Cullen when he knocked in the rebound. Whether Cullen was his responsibility I don't know.

I liked the third and fourth lines so much that I don't know who you pull out to put Parise back in. Maybe Zach sits...

(That doesn't even deserve a smiley.)

As for Zach, I have been in the "two definitely, maybe three" camp. After he shone so brightly at the WJC, I'm now "very probably two, three would be a surprise."

Connelly did not turn the puck over on the 3rd goal. It was right in front of me. Leinweber came around the net and cleared it up the middle. The CC defensemen picked it off, took a quick shot, and it was tipped. It was ugly, but put the blame on the person who did it. Connelly had a very solid night. Leinweber was brutal. He did the same thing shortly before the 3rd goal, which fortunately did not result in a goal.

Even though Brandt made some nice saves, the 4th goal was all him. It was a harmless slapshot and he kicked out a huge rebound. Schneider had a chance to clear, but fanned. Cullen came right up the middle untouched and had an easy goal.

This years team has the nads to keep working for the comeback.

A tie isn't the greatest thing but 1 point is better than nothing.

The Sioux belong at the top of the rankings & should stay close to the top the rest of the year. A great game by the top 2 teams in the WCHA & probably the country.

Great comeback by the Sioux.

I always wanted to quote myself.

Connelly did not turn the puck over on the 3rd goal. It was right in front of me. Leinweber came around the net and cleared it up the middle. The CC defensemen picked it off, took a quick shot, and it was tipped. It was ugly, but put the blame on the person who did it. Connelly had a very solid night. Leinweber was brutal. He did the same thing shortly before the 3rd goal, which fortunately did not result in a goal.

I could of swore that was Connelly's but it didn't happen "right in front of me". I can't fault Connelly's effort on Friday and as jk pointed out, he was effective in the CC end. Regardless, his play in the Sioux end was poor. I thought Ryan had a solid game all around on Saturday.

I agree with jk on Connelly/Massen/Fylling. They were awesome on the forecheck and cycling down low. I didn't notice Connelly's shortcomings in the offensive zone but maybe I wasn't looking for them.

Leinweber was the culprit on that goal up the middle. Ugh.

We thought Andy Schneider had a real rough series too. Could NOT hang onto a puck to save his life. Just couldn't catch it or pass it.

Massen is really strong. How about his one handed back hand shot attempt on Sat? Wow.

Notermann's goal was awesome and he damn near scored on it Sat night too. In fact I thought it would go in with Bochenski in front to clean it up.

I thought the teams played very evenly except for 2nd and 3rd periods on Sat night where I thought CC had the advantage most of the time. You could say the first period on Fri too but for the last half that period the Sioux carried the play I thought.

Canady really played hard out there and I was surprised not to see him on the ice last half the game on Sat but I wondered if Dean put Palmo out there in an attempt to try and create offense for Genoway?

One thing I noticed with Ranfranz were more pucks deflected by his stick over the glass and fewer rebounds out front. However, please tell him not to leave the crease. That guy will give you a heart attack when he comes out to play the puck around the net. Anyone notice he face planted in the middle of the zone Sat when he was racing out of the net so the Sioux could get the extra attacker on? That would have been funny had my heart been beating at the time.

Did Spiewak get a purple heart for Sat? He really took 2 nasty pucks blocking shots on Sat. One to the knee or leg and one to the ribs. He really paid the price. I love that guy.

After watching the AA debacle live last year I have to thank the team for giving my one of the most exciting series I have seen in a long time.