SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney...oshie, lee, chorney, toews

AZSIOUX

Some observations based in the Christmas spirit:

1. Kessel may or may NOT BE LIKED by some other players.

2. Kessel may or may BE LIKED by some other players.

3. Kessel MAY or MAY NOT be the source of some animosity and bad chemistry on the team.

4. It WAS wrong to infer that Kessel is the source of bad chemistry on the team unless people know the whole story from all angles and make the claims with back up to prove their thesis. This goes for ANY PLAYER on ANY TEAM.

5. Maybe Skille is the source of animosity on the team ? Maybe not.

6. Maybe Kessel is singled out because he is the consensus #1 pick in the NHL draft next year ? Maybe not.

7. Skille and Kessel have had problems for many, many years - - how does this make it Kessel's fault and his alone ?

8. If Kessel's mom is the problem - let's blame her and not Phil Kessel.

9. In our society we have a tendency to root for the underdog, against the rich, the famous, the best, other teams, other teams players, etc.

10. Why not report as a balance that Kessel IS LIKED by most other players and is great to have on the team ?

11. Why not report that Kessel has NO HISTORY of not being liked for reasons other than being the best on his team ?

12. Why not report that Kessel is well liked (reportedly) by his current teammates ?

13. Why is this news before the first official game ?

14. If the USA runs away with this tournament and Skille and Kessel are seen hugging at center ice - what will the next headline be ? Kessel and Skille still hate each other and it was all pretend ? USA would have won easier had Kessel not been such a problem on the team ?

This is tabloid journalism at its best. It is targeted at a USA player - not a gopher. It is wrong whether it is Kessel, Toews, or Oshie. As fair Sioux fans, we should all agree on that.

Let's talk about something else ?

BTW - Merry Christmas everyone ! Here's to the WCHA kickin butt over the holidays so that our collective RPI / KRACH, etc goes up.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if its burried and not talked about on TV and other media sources as the games proceed then yes it will be dropped but if it keeps being brought up and it is a story then anyone can talk about it if they choose.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL FANS... GO USA AND GO SIOUX

I'm not sure that I understand how TSN constantly "whines" about the Gophers as you say they do, since I only choose to watch the channel up on certain occasions.
I was referring to Hab-it.

Fortunately there are still some voices of reason to be found regaring this topic:

1. Why should we care what the chemistry is like on this team? All they need to do is to play together on the ice and win games. There's no rule saying that they must like each other.

2. Everything started with Kessel's mom? THIS concerns me more than what people think of Kessel. The most prominent dirt dragging on a player ever, IMO, was done because of the parents of a prominent player (Eric Lindros). They basically dragged Eric under their control and then used their control of Eric to leverage the Flyers and generally made a mess of things. Eric's reputation took a major hit because of it. Of course that was years ago and I don't know if that was an isolated event or if they still mess with Eric's professional career. However, if I were Phil, I would politely ask mom to back off. This, of course, assumes that the info is correct and not a fabrication.

3. The station said they weren't making it up? Really? Sounds like the kind of thing that Minny news station (Channel 9?) would do. TSN is a CANADIAN news station. You don't suppose that it's really just a few instances taken out of context to try to instill hope that Canada will repeat because, though everyone (including TSN) admits that US's team is more talented this year, Canada is the nation of hockey? Comon! For all we know, Kessel and Skille aren't getting along is nothing more than "Kessel plays for UMN, UW's arch rival."

All this soap opera crap isn't worth our time.

Some observations based in the Christmas spirit:

1. Kessel may or may NOT BE LIKED by some other players.

2. Kessel may or may BE LIKED by some other players.

3. Kessel MAY or MAY NOT be the source of some animosity and bad chemistry on the team.

4. It WAS wrong to infer that Kessel is the source of bad chemistry on the team unless people know the whole story from all angles and make the claims with back up to prove their thesis. This goes for ANY PLAYER on ANY TEAM.

5. Maybe Skille is the source of animosity on the team ? Maybe not.

6. Maybe Kessel is singled out because he is the consensus #1 pick in the NHL draft next year ? Maybe not.

7. Skille and Kessel have had problems for many, many years - - how does this make it Kessel's fault and his alone ?

8. If Kessel's mom is the problem - let's blame her and not Phil Kessel.

9. In our society we have a tendency to root for the underdog, against the rich, the famous, the best, other teams, other teams players, etc.

10. Why not report as a balance that Kessel IS LIKED by most other players and is great to have on the team ?

11. Why not report that Kessel has NO HISTORY of not being liked for reasons other than being the best on his team ?

12. Why not report that Kessel is well liked (reportedly) by his current teammates ?

13. Why is this news before the first official game ?

14. If the USA runs away with this tournament and Skille and Kessel are seen hugging at center ice - what will the next headline be ? Kessel and Skille still hate each other and it was all pretend ? USA would have won easier had Kessel not been such a problem on the team ?

This is tabloid journalism at its best. It is targeted at a USA player - not a gopher. It is wrong whether it is Kessel, Toews, or Oshie. As fair Sioux fans, we should all agree on that.

Let's talk about something else ?

BTW - Merry Christmas everyone ! Here's to the WCHA kickin butt over the holidays so that our collective RPI / KRACH, etc goes up.

Well said, gentlemen.

Again with the childish namecalling. If analysts said what you claim they did then without question someone would have written about such a story, but of course you figured it would be easy to make something up and not get called out on your bogus claim.

If the team chemistry is really a question, why is the team playing so well? If anything exists between him and Skille, and it stems from previous playing time together - who's to say it has anything more to do with Kessel than with Skille? How about the fact Kessel is from WI and went to UM, UW's biggest rival? For now, there's no reason to believe your claim is valid.

AZSIOUX - um, what?

I live in Madison, WI when I'm not at school at UND and I went to elementary school with Jack Skille. I can guarentee that Skille and Kessel don't get along. It stems way back... before college, before high school. They were on the same team as little kids. It goes as far back as their parents don't get along. If you really want a link, there was a short blurb about it in the Star Trib that I'm sure I could find for you if you really wanted it. It's been rumored that the reason Kessel actually went to U of M (as opposed to the fact that the Badgers don't score enough goals) is that he didn't want to be Skille's teammate anymore. Not saying that is either one of their faults... they just apparently don't get along. Too much time together or something...

Edited by WiSioux

I don't mean to stir the pot, but....

I get the feeling that was posted in hopes that maybe there is a kink in Kessel's armour (Canadian spelling). Like maybe if he's got at least something wrong with him it'll make him, or the gophers, look bad. I don't know why that is newsworthy. Maybe the Canadian press wants to show that the Americans have problems. Kind of lame if you ask me, because we all know that the Americans are playing a pretty decent game.

This really isn't the type of bickering I like to read from this board. No fun if you ask me. Kessel is a great player, someone who makes those around him better. Saying he is disliked doesn't change any of that.

It wasn't wrong to post, however, because it was in the news about the tourney. I guess it's very appropriate.

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas... Peace to you all, enjoy the tourney! ;)

3. The station said they weren't making it up? Really? Sounds like the kind of thing that Minny news station (Channel 9?) would do. TSN is a CANADIAN news station. You don't suppose that it's really just a few instances taken out of context to try to instill hope that Canada will repeat because, though everyone (including TSN) admits that US's team is more talented this year, Canada is the nation of hockey? Comon! For all we know, Kessel and Skille aren't getting along is nothing more than "Kessel plays for UMN, UW's arch rival."

All this soap opera crap isn't worth our time.

No, I have to disagree, I mean what does Kessel expect? Does he expect the media to treat him with kids gloves? High profile players have stories written about them all of the time. Why should it be different for golden boy Kessel.

Honestly, If Kessel is a spoiled brat than there is probably something to the story, I don't doubt TSN because they are a Canadian channel. TSN is second to none in hockey coverage, it makes ESPN look like a college news/sports production. I get to see some of their work as a result of having NHL Center Ice and if there is a story there TSN will find it. TSN plays no favorites or treats none the players with kids gloves. Some need to get a grip. One thing I think was over the top for Kessel was the press conference to announce that he was going to Minnesota. To me that kind of sets a precedence of being a pre-madonna. Thats my HMO. Honestly I am sick of hearing about Kessel all the time 24/7. I think Oshie has done just as much as Kessel has this year.

I get a kick out of some of our fans on Kessel.

We throw out words like "spoiled brat", golden boy, "pre-madona" and claim we're sick of hearing about him. For a second there, I thought this person might know him personally.

We accept unsubstantiated claims, require no balance in reporting - and most probably just because it is a gopher. Would we allow the same on one of our own players or another team USA player ?

I will say it again - probably to some deaf ears - Kessel is a USA PLAYER right now. Let's not get all wacked out about one report on a player we don't like and pile on as though we know the guy. I always thought that once you wore the red, white, and blue - our allegiances to our own teams disappear. Maybe not for some Sioux fans.

The way some of us write - you'd think Kessel was an egotistic nut job. I know this is an open forum for everyone's opinion, but I don't see how stuff like this furthers our cause as fans. If we see stuff like this in other forums we would laugh at them - and rightfully so. I said a few weeks ago that I thought some of our fans are so infatuated with Kessel we look stupid and I suggested we stop talking about him.

How about we get a grip, require some objectivity in our views on hockey, expect fairness and balance, and come together to root for the USA ?

Naw - that's too much to ask for.

I'm pretty sure what kind of Sioux fan I want to be. What kind of Sioux fan do you want to be ?

Go ahead and start rippin on me - I can take it.

Oh, I almost forgot - - Merry Christmas !

Some people are obviously annoyed that I posted the details of the TSN special, especially the Skippies. Well too bad. My counter is that three talented Sioux players are on that team and when Canada isn't playing I will be cheering for them all the way. The story is relevant to this site because if bad chemistry undermines what should be a Gold Medal performance, at least Sioux fans will have the piece of mind that UND players weren't the reason. I say Oshie for tourney MVP.

I get a kick out of some of our fans on Kessel.

We throw out words like "spoiled brat", golden boy, "pre-madona" and claim we're sick of hearing about him. For a second there, I thought this person might know him personally.

We accept unsubstantiated claims, require no balance in reporting - and most probably just because it is a gopher. Would we allow the same on one of our own players or another team USA player ?

I will say it again - probably to some deaf ears - Kessel is a USA PLAYER right now. Let's not get all wacked out about one report on a player we don't like and pile on as though we know the guy. I always thought that once you wore the red, white, and blue - our allegiances to our own teams disappear. Maybe not for some Sioux fans.

The way some of us write - you'd think Kessel was an egotistic nut job. I know this is an open forum for everyone's opinion, but I don't see how stuff like this furthers our cause as fans. If we see stuff like this in other forums we would laugh at them - and rightfully so. I said a few weeks ago that I thought some of our fans are so infatuated with Kessel we look stupid and I suggested we stop talking about him.

How about we get a grip, require some objectivity in our views on hockey, expect fairness and balance, and come together to root for the USA ?

Naw - that's too much to ask for.

I'm pretty sure what kind of Sioux fan I want to be. What kind of Sioux fan do you want to be ?

Go ahead and start rippin on me - I can take it.

Oh, I almost forgot - - Merry Christmas !

I appreciate your point of view, unfortunately some posters are going to ingore this objective review because it's easier then accepting the possiblity that a player on a hated rival just might not be the anti-Parise.

The way some of us write - you'd think Kessel was an egotistic nut job. I know this is an open forum for everyone's opinion, but I don't see how stuff like this furthers our cause as fans.

First off that is pretty much how I feel about Kessel, egotistical for a high school hockey player to announce where he is going to play college hockey. You can't get more cocky than that. I don't remember Oshie doing the same thing, and before we start flaming about how much better Kessel is than Oshie, TJ was picked pretty high in the draft and is only sitting one point behind him in points. ALSO, what cause are we furthering, I thi is a college hockey message board. I could care less if someone likes my opinion of Kessel.

Fan=fanatic.

Somebody please get slappy a tissue. I can't believe he still doesn't get the fact he won't get any sympathy for himself or kessel on SIOUXSPORTS.COM. Santa should have brought him a clue for Christmas. I agree 100% with AZSIOUX, goon, and Sioux-Habit. Bear Man why does it bother you so much that die hard Sioux fans don't care for kessel. No big deal. Like Goon pointed out we got a pretty damn good player of our own named TJ Oshie, who has been every bit, if not more impressive than Mr. Media. Bear Man, if you want to be a fan of kessel that's cool, and I understand your comments about supporting Team USA, that's all fine. Just don't come on here like slappy does and try to convince us that we should or should not like or talk about kessel. If you don't want t be part of the discussions ignore the threads that talk about it, then you won't be so stressed out. Honestly, I don't know how slappy even sleeps at night worrying about how we are going to chastise him and say "mean" things about poor little phil. Quit wasting your time and go back to gpl where you can find handfuls of people that will be completely sympathetic to your "phil kessel for man of the century" cause.

Edited by THETRIOUXPER

Somebody please get slappy a tissue. I can't believe he still doesn't get the fact he won't get any sympathy for himself or kessel on SIOUXSPORTS.COM.

No one is looking for sympathy at KESSEL.COM, just a bit of maturity, objectivity and reality. Outside of Bear Man and Redwing it's hard to find around here. You can criticize all you want, but when your opinions come off completely unfounded don't be surprised when someone presents a counter-point, AT A PUBLIC FORUM, even one such as this.

The difference between you and other posters on this forum is the fact that you whine every time someone questions you. However you are constantly asking every one else to present hard evidence on certain subjects, then when they do, you try to discredit them by saying that they are attacking you. Your lack of hockey knowledge, and misinformation is alarming to me especially when you claim you are in the know. I see you as nothing more than a whining crybaby just trying to get a rise out of people with your stupidity. I'm glad you find some comfort in the fact that two people agree with you, congratulations for that. By the way you better get busy sending PM's to everyone that disagree's with you like you did to me. Please don't send me anymore of them as I don't really care about your point of view or your feelings. Like I have tried to explain, if you feel like you are not being accepted here look at the things you say. There are other good posters who are gopher fans. WPOS, and Sagaard are usually good, and some others I'm leaving out, I'm sure. Slappy you are an annoyance, and although you act offended, I honestly believe you enjoy stirring up the hornet's nest here. Please leave the discussions to hockey and quit trying to stir things up, cause when you do that you will absolutley not get the respect you so desperatley seem to need to make yourself feel accepted as part of something. And for the record, I have no problems with the fact that you or anyone else, whether a gopher, Sioux or any other fan likes or dislikes me. That's the beauty of an anonymous message board who really cares. One more thing. Why is it that when someone disagrees with you they are immature and out of touch with reality. However when you disagree it is always just the cold hard reality of things? I can't wait to hear the answer to that, it should be real intresting.

Edited by THETRIOUXPER

The difference between you and other posters on this forum is the fact that you whine every time someone questions you. However you are constantly asking every one else to present hard evidence on certain subjects, then when they do, you try to discredit them by saying that they are attacking you.

I've thought about responding to this nonsense here, but out of respect to others I'm simply going to ignore this utter garbage rather than continue to try and reason with someone completely incapable of understanding, but more importantly, displaying the concept.

Concept slappy, what concept. The only concpet being displayed here is the concept of your hypocrisy, and uninformed, crybaby, whining, woe is me attitide. When are you going to add something of value or intrest to a topic rather than "quit picking on me you're immature and wrong" type of stuff ? cause that's all you do.

Once again a good thread, and a relevent topic has become unreadable. ;)

Well, once again, you can thank slappy for that one. I'm all about talking hockey. In fact I prefer it over listening to him whine and cry about irrelivant topics. By the way slap quit sending me PM's, seriously you're wasting your time just stop, I don't care what you want to say to me. You have proved your ignorance here time and time again. I don't want any more PM's from you, get it through your head. What will it take for you to stop ? How about this. The gophers are God's gift to the entire hockey world. Kessel is the absolute greatest thing since sliced bread. And you, slappy, are the most credible, intelligent, and honorable hockey fan that has ever graced God's green Earth. People should bow to you and kiss your feet. There, now, please quit wasting my time.