SiouxSports.com Forum

Friday Night Game Thread

Siouxdonyms

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should go back and look at the tape. No issues on that goal.

I love when these two teams play, seriously it ends up being what college hockey should be. Skilled teams racing up and down the ice trading goals.

I like the explanation I gave earlier (complements of CSTV intermission guys): It shouldn't have counted because Parise did not have room to come out of his net to cut down the angle.

I'm not sure what to think about that goal. I guess there are good arguments both ways as to why the goal should and shouldn't have counted, but as a Sioux fan I'll have to say that it was a goal. If Parise had come out of the net and hit Stoa (I think thats who it was) then Shepherd could have blown his whistle, but because Parise and Stoa didn't have contact, the goal call was correct. (Last year the goal would have been waved off though....)

The Sioux didn't deserve to win tonight. Someone noted earlier that Stafford was nonexistant tonight, and that was exactly the case....He has got to step up and take the lead in games like this, and he didn't do that. This team is coming along though....its a work in process.... ;)

w/o reading the WHOLE thread, I'll make a comment or two here. I got to watch only a few parts and pieces of the game, and I got to see the last minute or so, I wouldn't be hard on your team or the coaches, UND played well at the end there, I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest it was beating so hard. As usual, a UND/Gopher game ranks right up there in my book as a game to "must win", and I always get wound up when the score is that close. THe UND line out at the end of the game is dangerous and UND will go far this year, regardless of their age. I'll be happy with 2 points from your team this weekend (altho I'd prefer 3 or 4).

Good times, good rivalry...

Drop the puck!

Shepards need some sheep!

WPoS

I'm not sure what to think about that goal. I guess there are good arguments both ways as to why the goal should and shouldn't have counted, but as a Sioux fan I'll have to say that it was a goal. If Parise had come out of the net and hit Stoa (I think thats who it was) then Shepherd could have blown his whistle, but because Parise and Stoa didn't have contact, the goal call was correct. (Last year the goal would have been waved off though....)

The Sioux didn't deserve to win tonight. Someone noted earlier that Stafford was nonexistant tonight, and that was exactly the case....He has got to step up and take the lead in games like this, and he didn't do that. This team is coming along though....its a work in process.... ;)

There was contact between Parise and the defenseman. Unfortunately for us, it was Parise pushing his glove against him and that was about the extent of it. I've watched the play a few times now, and it really looks like that defenseman distracted him enough to the point where he wasn't fully ready for the shot by Kessel. He forgot to hug the shortside post, and the puck went right by him. It never looked like JPar wanted to come out any further to cut down the angle of the shot (not to say he didn't want to). The Gophers had players low all night, and Parise didn't come out of the goal a whole bunch to attempt to cut down angles. I understand why Parise wanted him out of there. Whenever a goalie has an opponent jersey right there, they don't want it right there. The same thing happened a few other times in the game and Parise tried to get rid of the defenseman. One of the times, it resulted in a penalty. The college game is being changed like the NHL game, to give it more flow and to allow more goals. Parise, and every other goalie is going to have to figure out a way to adjust to this, and learn to focus on everything else that is happening on the ice. I don't like the rule either when it works against the Sioux, but I also hated having whistles blow everytime we were putting pressure on and someones skate went through the top of the crease, which had no direct affect on the play at hand.

Ijust bought a new carton of milk this morning. On it there was a picture of Mike Prpich and Drew Stafford. The caption said, Missing in big games, have you seen these people?

Actually, I thought Prpich played his game but this was another one where Stafford didn't deliver the effort we need from him. However, as has been stated and supported by Hak, their second goal was not a goal and if one of Toews posts had been an inch to the right we'd be the ones smiling today. The commissioner was in the stands and I hope he got an earful as to just how pathetic his officials truly are. Rinks are being filled to watch the top WCHA talent so why turn away marginal paying customers with officiating that you would expect at the midget level or lower.

Ijust bought a new carton of milk this morning. On it there was a picture of Mike Prpich and Drew Stafford. The caption said, Missing in big games, have you seen these people?

I totally disagree with the Prpich comment. I thought he and his line played very well. He was the reason the Sioux got the 5 on 3 in the second period and they did a great job of cycling the puck and keeping pressure on. Also, he did a good job of keeping his cool. Irman was a total punk. What do you expect from a kid from Fargo who picks the brown and piss over the Green and White.

Was a fun game to watch. CSTV did a nice job.

Prpich played great as far as I was concerned. Stafford is working hard especially in the corners, etc., but was not dominant last night.

The picture on the front of the sports page of the Forum says it all - both of Stoa's skates are inside the crease and it appears that he his just beginning to come out, pushing against Lee. Whether he interfered with Parise is a question the photo does not answer, but I guess after seeing numerous goals disallowed over the years for crease violations by the Sioux, I can't believe they can't call games consistently.

The Sioux need to go hard tonight.

Prpich played great as far as I was concerned. Stafford is working hard especially in the corners, etc., but was not dominant last night.

The picture on the front of the sports page of the Forum says it all - both of Stoa's skates are inside the crease and it appears that he his just beginning to come out, pushing against Lee. Whether he interfered with Parise is a question the photo does not answer, but I guess after seeing numerous goals disallowed over the years for crease violations by the Sioux, I can't believe they can't call games consistently.

The Sioux need to go hard tonight.

The "In the crease" rule is no longer in affect. Players can be in the crease. Goals will be disallowed if players interfere with goalies, resulting in a goal.

I usally rip on Stafford for a no effort game, but I have to disagree that he was missing from last nights game. He was bring the puck in over and over again trying to get something going. I really feel that the lineup changes had a lot to do with the fact that he did not post any points - I don't recall him having any assists?!?!? I thought that Duncan and him were a perfect match - just as good as Zajac and Spriko. The staring lineup was not what I was expecting at all. My feelings are if it's not broke don't fix it. Thought the lines should have been like they were at the Tech and saturday night's Duluth game.

Prpich - thought he played his typical game and did what he needed to do all game. Really felt that the tone for the whole game was set by that first goal.

I usally rip on Stafford for a no effort game, but I have to disagree that he was missing from last nights game. He was bring the puck in over and over again trying to get something going.

I agree. Stafford also made a nice defensive play on Minnesota's 5-on-3 power play to created a shorthanded breakaway.

I really feel that the lineup changes had a lot to do with the fact that he did not post any points - I don't recall him having any assists?!?!? I thought that Duncan and him were a perfect match - just as good as Zajac and Spriko. The staring lineup was not what I was expecting at all. My feelings are if it's not broke don't fix it. Thought the lines should have been like they were at the Tech and saturday night's Duluth game.

The lines were changed for the MTU series, the series in which Spirko and Stafford each had a hat trick. The lines last night were the same as they were at Houghton.

As Hakstol said on last Wednesday's coaches' show, he's trying to generate more scoring through all four lines.

Watched the game on TV last night. I will say it looked to me like the gophs wanted that game more and that is why they won. I would say the Sioux played a good game but not a really good game, and the gophers played a very good game. Couple that with the fact the gophers are about a year older team and that was the difference.

The silver lining for me is that that Sioux were awfully close to tying this game. I thought Spirko was the player of the game for the Sioux, and dang near tied/won that game single handedly in the 3rd period last night. What a player he is.

If the Sioux are out of gas the gophers could sweep this series tonite. But I'm still holding on to hope that the Sioux can get a split out of the weekend. They were beaten last night, but I don't think outlcassed.

Parise was the recipient of some luck last night. He made a couple saves when not being in very good position and I think he was fortunate in that regard.

I thought Prpich played a whale of a game. He was agitating, but only took probably 1 bad penalty. Other than that his line with Fabian and Watkins was probably one of our top 2 lines. They did a good job of relieving pressure in our own zone and keeping the puck in the other end.

Stafford was ok, I thought, but I think we need more from him tonite.

Zajac played a very good game.

Toews was excellent. Jason did manage to hit a couple of posts. Too bad he didn't manage a goal because I thought he did more than Kessel except score. And I guess that is what counts.

Duncan was quiet last night. I'd like to see him make more of an impact tonite. Maybe he and Kozek can get things going.

Speaking of Kozek, he was really out there to play the body last night. I'm guilty of making some assumptions and I was worried last year that he might be a pretty-boy who thought he was a scorer but it looks like he's willing to do whatever. I'd like to see him get a few open opportunities tonite and see what he can do with the puck.

Sioux D had some difficulties last night in their own end. Hopefully tonite we can handle the transition out of our own end a little better.

What's up with the Sioux losing control of the puck all night like the ice was bad? Didn't notice that happening as much with the gophs.

Let's remove the goal crease. I'm not sure what purpose it serves. I'm aware of the rule change this year, that says a man can be in the crease if he's not interfering. As others have said, we've not allowed the ref to make a judgement on when that is. Well, how is Shepard supposed to know whether Stoa was or was not interfering with Parise? My own impression of that rule was to allow goals when an offensive player might have a skate or something in the crease behind the back of the goalie where that positioning was completely incidental. Stoa was camped in Parise's NW corner, just standing well deep in the crease. He's definitely in the field of view. IMO that's awfully borderline to say it didn't interfere with the goalie.

Hopefully the boys have gas in the tank for tonite, because I believe the Sioux can beat the gophers. We just need a little more assertive play throughout the lineup, and in both ends of the rink.

Edited by dagies

Stoa was camped in Parise's NW corner, just standing well deep in the crease. He's definitely in the field of view. IMO that's awfully borderline to say it didn't interfere with the goalie.

Guys stand in front of goalies all the time, just outside of the crease, which inhibit goalies field of view. Often times, it results in goals. We praise our guys when they can screen the goalie which leads to a goal. It looked like Parise had a clear view at Kessel's shot. However, he was preoccupied with Stoa, which contributed to Parise letting up the goal. I try to think if it were the other way around with a Sioux player in the Gopher's goalie crease, and I don't think I'd see it as interference that way, so why should I see it as interference this way. I'm not Woog or Mazacco. ;)

The "In the crease" rule is no longer in affect. Players can be in the crease. Goals will be disallowed if players interfere with goalies, resulting in a goal.

The rule is still in effect, but the referee has been given greater latitude in determining whether or not the player in the crease interfered with the goalie's ability to make the save. It's more like the NHL rule now.

But you have to wonder: Why even have a crease rule if anyone can be in the crease at any time? Why not remove the crease line and call goalie interference only?

Players can legally screen the goalie from outside the crease. I don't think players should be allowed to go in the crease and screen the goalie, which is what Stoa did.

This is what the changed rule says:

Goals and Assists

c. A goal shall not be allowed in any of the following cases:

(7) If any member of the attacking team (other than the player in possession of the puck) was in or skating through the goal crease when the goal was scored from outside the crease, unless:

i. The goalkeeper was outside the crease when the goal was scored; or

ii. An attacking player was in the crease but, in the opinion of the official, did not prevent the goalkeeper from defending the goal.

For tonight I'd say Irman. That idiot is throwing elbows left and right. He keeps it up, Smaby gonna make him eat that "M" he is so proud of.

For one. It's Irmen. With an E. Another thing, that "idiot" is the best player on the ice tonight hands down. If I remember correctly, Irmen put Smaby down with authority in the first period. Big tough Smaby.

Prpich played a damn good game! In my opinion, he has shown a lot of maturity since early this season when he was taking stupid penalties. As a player with a history of being a rabble rouser, getting under the other players skin with his smart mouth, he has shown a lot of restraint which has resulted in his being on the ice more, making good plays. As a rabble rouser with a smart mouth myself, I'm also happy to see him use that with enough restraint not to draw stupid penalties. He sure got under Chucko's skin! ;)

Prpich played a damn good game! In my opinion, he has shown a lot of maturity since early this season when he was taking stupid penalties. As a player with a history of being a rabble rouser, getting under the other players skin with his smart mouth, he has shown a lot of restraint which has resulted in his being on the ice more, making good plays. As a rabble rouser with a smart mouth myself, I'm also happy to see him use that with enough restraint not to draw stupid penalties. He sure got under Chucko's skin! ;)

I agree. I think the one game that Hak benched him helped remind him of what role he needs to take with this team. He's acted very mature this year compared to previous years, and has been a very smart player. IMHO, the one thing I'd like to see from him is for him to pass off a little quicker. It seems that at times, he's holding onto the puck too long, which is hurting the attack.

I agree. I think the one game that Hak benched him helped remind him of what role he needs to take with this team. He's acted very mature this year compared to previous years, and has been a very smart player. IMHO, the one thing I'd like to see from him is for him to pass off a little quicker. It seems that at times, he's holding onto the puck too long, which is hurting the attack.

Are you trying to say Prpich did not take stupid penalties last night? If I remember correctly he wrapped his arm around a Gopher players neck in the corner well after the whistle had blown, and he sat two minutes for it. Prpich looked to me to be one of the worst players on the ice for the sioux and his loose mouth did nothing more but motivate the Gophers.