SiouxSports.com Forum

2006 schedule

dakotadan

You know what, bincitysioux, I think if you put to a jury of folks, they'd agree that in light of all the evidence, UND really tried to screw NDSU. I also think your logic is flawed - it may be a theory that UND was trying to screw over NDSU by delaying the decision so long, but it is a theory supported by the facts which makes it a heck of a lot more believable than the official reason given by UND (especially since that official reason changed from day to day).

Now, you can argue that NDSU would have done the same thing. However, they did not. In fact, anticipating this argument, I included the quote from President Kupchella because I think it symbolizes what is wrong with the rivalry.

However, I would bet my retirement savings that NDSU would NOT have acted in the same way as UND did.. If they weren't going to schedule UND in similar circumstances, they would have said so in May and not have waited nine months.

That's what I was trying to say, I agree

Edited by bincitysioux

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what, bincitysioux, I think if you put to a jury of folks, they'd agree that in light of all the evidence, UND really tried to screw NDSU. I also think your logic is flawed - it may be a theory that UND was trying to screw over NDSU by delaying the decision so long, but it is a theory supported by the facts which makes it a heck of a lot more believable than the official reason given by UND (especially since that official reason changed from day to day).

Now, you can argue that NDSU would have done the same thing. However, they did not. In fact, anticipating this argument, I included the quote from President Kupchella because I think it symbolizes what is wrong with the rivalry.However, I would bet my retirement savings that NDSU would NOT have acted in the same way as UND did.. If they weren't going to schedule UND in similar circumstances, they would have said so in May and not have waited nine months.

There is NOTHING wrong with the rivalry. It is a rivalry, and I'll be the first to admit that I miss the games of the rivalry. Do you think it is any different between Michigan and Michigan St. or Florida and Florida St.? You are too caught up in trying to manufacture a rivalry from thin air (SDSU) to realize it. There was nothing wrong with Kupchella's comments, NDSU assuredly isn't going to go out of it's way to inflate the importance of UND to the Red River Valley and the state of ND, therefore, one could assume their numbers are at the very least a minimum which is impressive.

Edited by bincitysioux

Now, you can argue that NDSU would have done the same thing. However, they did not. In fact, anticipating this argument, I included the quote from President Kupchella because I think it symbolizes what is wrong with the rivalry.

However, I would bet my retirement savings that NDSU would NOT have acted in the same way as UND did.. If they weren't going to schedule UND in similar circumstances, they would have said so in May and not have waited nine months.

Again, and I quote, "They've made their bed, now they have to sleep in it."--Gene Taylor

How juvenile is that?

SiouxMD, I can tell you exactly why NDSU fans got ticked off by UND not scheduling NDSU in 2004.

tony,

I have heard it all before...but I can't change what has happened and neither can you. If you want an apology to heal your broken heart talk to President Kupchella or Roger Thomas. Or better yet write your own version and post it on Bisonville.com under UND Talk & Smack.

Until then...bellar no more! Merry Christmas! :D

If UND really did want to completely screw NDSU why'd RT allow NDSU on any UND schedule? Wouldn't that have been the complete job? (That would have made NDSU find even more games in the minor sports: more time, more effort, more travel, more money.) Does playing baseball and other sports align with the "total screw" philosophy? Dare I say "No."

However, I would bet my retirement savings that NDSU would NOT have acted in the same way as UND did..

Risky considering the positions and statements from Taylor and Ruley to Buning's recent overtures. It may have been purely vindictive reaction from Gene and Amy due to (I'll admit poor timing and thus poor treatment) past events. But vindictiveness is a trait and it can come out post- or pre-. We only saw NDSU's post-. We don't know what they would have done pre- because the bell's already been rung. (Sadly, we got to see RT's pre-.)

Edited by The Sicatoka

If UND really did want to completely screw NDSU why'd RT allow NDSU on any UND schedule? Wouldn't that have been the complete job? (That would have made NDSU find even more games in the minor sports: more time, more effort, more travel, more money.) Does playing baseball and other sports align with the "total screw" philosophy? Dare I say "No."

Risky considering the positions and statements from Taylor and Ruley to Buning's recent overtures. It may have been purely vindictive reaction from Gene and Amy due to (I'll admit poor timing and thus poor treatment) past events. But vindictiveness is a trait and it can come out post- or pre-. We only saw NDSU's post-. We don't know what they would have done pre- because the bell's already been rung. (Sadly, we got to see RT's pre-.)

I've made this point before, but let's not overlook the fact that the exact same thing happened between USD and SDSU the past two years. To the best of my knowledge, USD did not schedule SDSU at all, or at least not in the highest-profile sports of football and men's and women's basketball, following SDSU's move to dI/I-AA. Whether SDSU fans are as bitter about it as tony is towards UND, I don't know. And while the UNO-UNC rivalry doesn't compare to UND-NDSU or USD-SDSU, UNO and UNC stopped playing each other following UNC's dII/NCC departure, as well.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound bitter. I think most Bison fans would agree that NDSU would not have scheduled UND if UND had been the one to move up. However, NDSU would not have left UND dangling for nine months - no way! For example, I wasn't impressed by Taylor's response to Buning's comments to the Herald, but his response was immediate and forthright, if not flattering to him or NDSU.

IMO, NDSU should immediately offer a game to UND because that's how I think NDSU can best serve the state. The only stipulation I'd have is that the contract have a severe penalty for backing out as well as an early expiration date (NDSU can't afford to wait until March for a response). Hopefully Taylor and Buning are working on something right now.

• 3 weeks later...
2006 schedule as posted by pepperoniking:

A. Sept. 2 Central Washington

A. Sept. 9 Mesa State

H. Sept. 16 Winona State

H. Sept. 23 Western Washington

A. Sept. 30 Augustana

H. Oct. 7 Minnesota State

A. Oct. 14 UN-Omaha

Oct. 21 OPEN-

H. Oct. 28 UM-Duluth

A. Nov. 4 St Cloud

H. Nov. 11 USD

Would the Mesa State game still be part of a deal from when we played them before?

Pitt St. should have been in the slot that Mesa St. is in, they are, or were open for that date in 2006 according to D2 Football.com. They're open on the same weekend in 2007, Bunning should try to get that game, home or away. South Eastern Oklahoma St. is also looking for a home-and-home deal for the future. They would be more intriguing than Mesa or Ferris.

Edited by bincitysioux

Pitt St. should have been in the slot that Mesa St. is in, they are, or were open for that date in 2006 according to D2 Football.com. They're open on the same weekend in 2007, Bunning should try to get that game, home or away. South Eastern Oklahoma St. is also looking for a home-and-home deal for the future. They would be more intriguing than Mesa or Ferris.

I don't think Pitt St. is willing to travel for non-conference games, or at least they haven't since 1999. The relatively few quality non-conference games they've had in recent years, e.g. Delta State and St. Cloud, have been at home as opposed to part of a home-and-home. I don't think there's any way they'd agree to come to Grand Forks during the regular season, so there would be no incentive at all for UND to play them on the road.

• 5 weeks later...

A. Sept. 2 Central Washington

A. Sept. 9 Mesa State

H. Sept. 16 Winona State

A. Sept. 30 Augustana

A. Oct. 14 UN-Omaha

Oct. 21 OPEN-

H. Oct. 28 UM-Duluth

A. Nov. 4 St Cloud

H. Nov. 11 USD

In other NCC news...

Central Washington vs Montana - 09/13/2006

Central Washington gets a $50k paycheck from

First off, this whole discussion chain is flawed in many respects. FB games and their contracts are scheduled years in advance. Ferris state and Winona state are examples of that.

With that, their are many negotiations that go with offers. In that process NCAA rules change, along with the rules to rankings and playoff contentions.

In the early negotiations that occured between the rivals, the rules were changing with regards to playoff penalties and possibilities with win-losses.

Many people were not happy with NDSU's decision to go DIAA and wanted to penalize them for their decision, in partiular because of their lack of consultation with their major rival as a partner in the process.

That being said, the rivalry was not ignored nor forgotten, just the rules were different.

I would not pretend to understand the complexities is this scenario, but the fact remains, as I have stated from day one, we cannot discontinue the rivalry.

The delay in RT's response to the original proposal from NDSU was based on many factors including:

1. The NCAA was working on a point system that could hurt DII schools playing non-DII schools

2. The input of many sources, including FB staff, other coaching staff, admin and the presidents thoughts.

3. Rearrange of schedules, since FB schedules and contracts are signed years in advance.

4. The uncertainty of what the transition of NDSU to DI would do

5. The increased scholarship limit and how fast NDSU would gain an advantage over UND

6. I hate to say, but the anger over NDSU going DI and not discussing a deal to make a package deal with UND. (This could be the biggest factor of all).

First off, this whole discussion chain is flawed in many respects. FB games and their contracts are scheduled years in advance. Ferris state and Winona state are examples of that.

With that, their are many negotiations that go with offers. In that process NCAA rules change, along with the rules to rankings and playoff contentions.

In the early negotiations that occured between the rivals, the rules were changing with regards to playoff penalties and possibilities with win-losses.

Many people were not happy with NDSU's decision to go DIAA and wanted to penalize them for their decision, in partiular because of their lack of consultation with their major rival as a partner in the process.

That being said, the rivalry was not ignored nor forgotten, just the rules were different.

I would not pretend to understand the complexities is this scenario, but the fact remains, as I have stated from day one, we cannot discontinue the rivalry.

The delay in RT's response to the original proposal from NDSU was based on many factors including:

1. The NCAA was working on a point system that could hurt DII schools playing non-DII schools

2. The input of many sources, including FB staff, other coaching staff, admin and the presidents thoughts.

3. Rearrange of schedules, since FB schedules and contracts are signed years in advance.

4. The uncertainty of what the transition of NDSU to DI would do

5. The increased scholarship limit and how fast NDSU would gain an advantage over UND

6. I hate to say, but the anger over NDSU going DI and not discussing a deal to make a package deal with UND. (This could be the biggest factor of all).

Pretty hard to discuss a package deal when your told "go away we're not interested"! :bigsmile:

• 3 weeks later...
That Sept 1st Friday Game will Certainly Sell-out our NEW? 15,000 seat Alerus Renovated Center.....

especially on Labor Day Weekend....LOL!!!!!.......Wow, if we only had a brain...?

I'm actually glad it's a road game. Labor Day weekend is a tough draw. It just sucks that we're not at home until the 16th.

A. Sept. 1 Central Washington (Friday Game)

A. Sept. 9 Mesa State

H. Sept. 16 Winona State

A. Sept. 30 Augustana

A. Oct. 14 UN-Omaha

Oct. 21 OPEN-

H. Oct. 28 UM-Duluth

A. Nov. 4 St Cloud

H. Nov. 11 USD

Updated Master Schedule...who is the pepperoniking? :huh: