SiouxSports.com Forum

2006 schedule

dakotadan

This has seemed to get off track. I'm curious about what the non conference schedule will be, especially in GF. I think attendence really benefited from some good nc matchups, it's a shame about the playoff game though. But it is north dakota and deer hunting and GF central in the title game is a lot to over come.

So whats the slate look like for next year?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the typical Sioux/Bison debate, doesn't UND owe Ferris State a return trip to Ferris? I though the deal was a 2-for-1, 2 trips to UND by Ferris and 1 return trip by UND. Has this been fulfilled or changed?

I could be wrong, but I think Ferris opted for another guarantee instead of a return trip.

Why would it depend on UND moving to DI?

Possible answers include...

1) NDSU does not schedule DII football opponents

2) NDSU does not want to pay a "guarantee" to UND

3) NDSU vs UNDII is a "NO WIN" situation for the Bison. If they lose they lose to a DII school. If they win they beat a DII school.

4) None of the above

IowaBison?

NDSU and UND both have open dates on October 21, 2006. Let's do this!

I agree. UND FB will not be penalized like they would have been in the past for playing you guys. Our new AD made overtures to your Athletic Department about resuming the rivalry and was told to buzz off. Amy Ruley and Bohl seemd to be most adamant.

It is up to you alumni and fans to pressure them to play again.

I agree. UND FB will not be penalized like they would have been in the past for playing you guys. Our new AD made overtures to your Athletic Department about resuming the rivalry and was told to buzz off. Amy Ruley and Bohl seemd to be most adamant.

It is up to you alumni and fans to pressure them to play again.

I think that with NDSU now being noticed as a solid, potential playoff contender DI-AA team, there is much more risk for NDSU playing UND than in the past (from NDSU's perpective). A loss to a D2 school would be much more harmful to us in regards to our ranking in the polls than would a loss to a fellow DI-AA school. On the other hand, a win against UND, especially if it was close, would not help us as much as a win against a DI-AA opponent. My opinion is that if we are going to play a D2, it damn well better be one we will be sure to beat.

On the other hand, the gate for the game would be huge. This would push our attendance for the season even higher. So that would be the positive side of playing the Sioux. Personally, I would just as soon not play any D2s given the problems that would create if we were to loose the game. We need to stick with DI-AAs and an occasional DI-A.

I think that with NDSU now being noticed as a solid, potential playoff contender DI-AA team, there is much more risk for NDSU playing UND than in the past (from NDSU's perpective). A loss to a D2 school would be much more harmful to us in regards to our ranking in the polls than would a loss to a fellow DI-AA school. On the other hand, a win against UND, especially if it was close, would not help us as much as a win against a DI-AA opponent. My opinion is that if we are going to play a D2, it damn well better be one we will be sure to beat.

On the other hand, the gate for the game would be huge. This would push our attendance for the season even higher. So that would be the positive side of playing the Sioux. Personally, I would just as soon not play any D2s given the problems that would create if we were to loose the game. We need to stick with DI-AAs and an occasional DI-A.

That makes sense once you are play-off eligible. I don't know if that is the case until 2007. Once you are play-off eligible, I couldn't argue too much because you don't want to take a chance on missing the playoffs. Same valid argument UND had for not playing you in FB last year. The Sioux wouldn't have made the play-offs even had they beaten you by 50pts had they played last year.

No excuse for the two schools not to play in WBB or MBB other than the Sioux women would probably run you off the floor and your men would probably do the same to us.

3) NDSU vs UNDII is a "NO WIN" situation for the Bison. If they lose they lose to a DII school. If they win they beat a DII school.

BTW...assuming WYOBISONMAN is correct...does anyone else see the irony in this?

UND doesn't schedule NDSU as it could have DII playoff implications. NDSU fans repeatedly state this is false. Now NDSU doesn't schedule UND because it could have DI-AA poll ranking/playoff implications?

Santa came early this year... ;)

I appreciate your honesty WYOBISONMAN.

The Sioux/Bison game will be the final game of 2008. The Sioux will have grown restless in DII and have found a way to finance a move to DI in all sports by then. Any playoff implications will be put on the back burner because this is the game people are demanding. The bad blood will have settled down somewhat and for the players on the field it will be their first meeting. It will be standing room only and the atmosphere will be electric. THE RIVALRY IS REBORN!!

(Nick Mertens throws 4 td's in a 36-7 beat down :D , just thought I'd throw that in there)

Edited by Bison Pride

That makes sense once you are play-off eligible. I don't know if that is the case until 2007. Once you are play-off eligible, I couldn't argue too much because you don't want to take a chance on missing the playoffs. Same valid argument UND had for not playing you in FB last year. The Sioux wouldn't have made the play-offs even had they beaten you by 50pts had they played last year.

No excuse for the two schools not to play in WBB or MBB other than the Sioux women would probably run you off the floor and your men would probably do the same to us.

IMHO, I think that a loss to a D2 team even now would have bad implications for us. Being new to DI-AA we need to be ranked as high as possible and win as much as possible leading up to 2008. It just keeps you on the radar scope of those voting in the polls.

I can guarantee that the University of Montana would have never played NDSU when we were a D2 if the would have thought they were going to loose or be at a significant risk of loosing that game. And, even now that we are DI-AA, they are avoiding us like the plague....and that loss dropped the Grizzlies like a rock in the polls. It took them all season to recover.....

I can guarantee that the University of Montana would have never played NDSU when we were a D2 if the would have thought they were going to loose or be at a significant risk of loosing that game. And, even now that we are DI-AA, they are avoiding us like the plague....

If playing NDSU makes opposing teams loose, I can understand why other schools would avoid the Bison like the plague. :D

...........UND doesn't schedule NDSU as it could have DII playoff implications. NDSU fans repeatedly state this is false. Now NDSU doesn't schedule UND because it could have DI-AA poll ranking/playoff implications?

Of course, the major difference being that NDSU fans are using information in the current DI-AA playoff selection handbook, as opposed to using the DII playoff selection handbook from three years ago that had been revised twice. :D

Of course, the major difference being that NDSU fans are using information in the current DI-AA playoff selection handbook, as opposed to using the DII playoff selection handbook from three years ago that had been revised twice. :D

Bellar no more! You have moved on. Please act like it. Thank you. Merry Christmas. ;)

SiouxMD, I can tell you exactly why NDSU fans got ticked off by UND not scheduling NDSU in 2004.

In May 2003, NDSU's AD made up a contract that gave UND two home games and ran from 2004-2008. Virg Foss asks Thomas what was up. "UND needs an appopriate number of home games," says Roger. He didn't mention anything at all about playoff implications.

Call me a skeptic but even if the playoff implications angle slipped his mind for four months, why did it take UND until February 10, 2004 to reject an offer NDSU made back in May, 2003 and why did the boycott extend to all sports but baseball? It should be blazingly obvious to everybody that UND's motivation was to screw NDSU over as hard as possible. Besides, the playoff implications for scheduling a DI team were made less harsh in that nine month period *and* the playoff field was expanded by eight teams.

Personally, I didn't like NDSU's response to Buning's offer; however, I completely understand it. NDSU got burned once. When Buning made his offer to the press, it sounded like the same old UND to Taylor. I think they misread the guy. However, now that UND is off the schedule, I think that waiting a couple more years to renew the rivalry wouldn't be such a bad idea.

BTW, what's up with this?

"So, we know the figure [economic impact of UND]isn't inflated ... the impact was at least that much," Kupchella said with a smile, alluding to the study's authors being from UND's biggest rival.

Maybe at UND, the natural thought is that rivalry trumps integrity?

Tony, you have hit the nail right on the head. Nobody can honestly argue that one of the reasons RT didn't sign that contract was because UND wanted to spite NDSU. But, by definition, that is a theory and at best heresay. The fact is though that UND's official reason for not signing it is because of the playoff implication factors that said game could have. Implications for a program that for the past several seasons year in and year out is a favorite or at least a contender for the national championship. If the roles were reversed and UND went DI first do you honestly think anything would have been different? Would NDSU have agreed to play a hated rival that suddenly had nearly double the scholarships? 2 years later, with Bunning at the helm and showing interest in having the game, Taylors official response for showing no interest was, and I quote, "They've made their bed, now they have to sleep in it." Don't try to paint UND as vindictive or nasty and NDSU as a bastion of morality, because the truth is that both institutions are forever linked as rivals, competitors, and peers because they are so similar in many many ways. Although most Bison supporters would like to believe it, the fact that they gave the NCAA $15,000 in 2003 to change divisions, doesn't make them Notre Dame or Duke.

You know what, bincitysioux, I think if you put to a jury of folks, they'd agree that in light of all the evidence, UND really tried to screw NDSU. I also think your logic is flawed - it may be a theory that UND was trying to screw over NDSU by delaying the decision so long, but it is a theory supported by the facts which makes it a heck of a lot more believable than the official reason given by UND (especially since that official reason changed from day to day).

Now, you can argue that NDSU would have done the same thing. However, they did not. In fact, anticipating this argument, I included the quote from President Kupchella because I think it symbolizes what is wrong with the rivalry.

However, I would bet my retirement savings that NDSU would NOT have acted in the same way as UND did.. If they weren't going to schedule UND in similar circumstances, they would have said so in May and not have waited nine months.