SiouxSports.com Forum

#7 T.J. Oshie

Nassau44

Everyone now has seen Warroad's T.J. Oshie for a month. He left Warroad this year as the greatest scorer of all-time scoring 104G+137A=241 points in 93 games and as Warroad's only NHL Entry Draft's 1st rounder.

He simply loves the game. After leaving the arena now I realize how the Warrior's won 2 MN State titles in three years. Oshie was their leader and now is climbing the ladder at UND.

Oshie plays and excels in every facet of the game. You can tell he's been well-coached at Warroad the past 3 years by Eades, Dennis Fermoyle, Albert Hasbargen and his dad, Tim. His passion and tenacity is awesome. I'm convinced the Fighting Sioux have the best freshman class in the NCAA.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone in the know was telling me over the weekend about some High School Tournament TV video. I think from this past season. A TV camera in the locker room caught TJ bouncing and balancing a ball on the blade of his stick, then running it up and down the shaft of the stick as if the ball was on a track. He tossed the ball into the air, circled the blade of his stick around the ball four or five times, and then caught the ball on the blade. All of this while teammates were playfully throwing things at him to distract him. No distracto. He then flipped the ball into the air, took a slapshot at it, and knocked the ball right out of the arena, clear over the river, and into the path of jets landing at the HHH International. Some say the ball made a blip on the radar screen. I kid you not. Perhaps some of you saw it.

Oshie is a pleasure to watch. He will soon become, if he is not already, a kid who will lead by example rather than by his mouth. Based on early returns, I would not trade him, or a large handful of other Sioux freshmen, for any of the other so-called "prize" recruits in the league.

TJ is far more than a blip on the radar. He is the real deal.

It's great to see TJ getting recognition from the fans. All the hard work he puts into his game is sure being noticed. NDH I believe you're very right about him leading by example, plus he's got some "mad" stick handling ability. By the way, NDH, it was fun meeting you and hoisting a couple on sacred ground with SIOUX99, and Yttriun (tittyium) last saturday. Good time was definitely had by all and I can't wait to get together with you guys again.

After watching TJ Oshie play, he reminds me of another Sioux player with similar yet slightly different skills, TZ (Travis Zajac). They both exihibit excellent puck skills, corner skills, passing skills, shooting skills, and great all around playmaking ability. I do believe that TJ Oshie plays just a bit more physical. If his linemates do some decent scoring during the entire season, he has the potential to upstage Mr. All-Media in the Twin Cities for WCHA Rookie of the Year.

And that would be the icing on the cake!! ???

It's great to see TJ getting recognition from the fans. All the hard work he puts into his game is sure being noticed. NDH I believe you're very right about him leading by example, plus he's got some "mad" stick handling ability. By the way, NDH, it was fun meeting you and hoisting a couple on sacred ground with SIOUX99, and Yttriun (tittyium) last saturday. Good time was definitely had by all and I can't wait to get together with you guys again.

We sure had us a time at the tailgate last Saturday, you boys (THETRIOUXPER, Yttrium, and NDH) made that the most successful tailgate we have had yet. It was great talkin Hockey and discussing stories about North Dakota's young gun, TJ OSHIE!! I hope we can all gather again for yet another tailgate around which was once the most electric building in the country to play college hockey!! I talked with the Source this evening and we are putting plans in order for yet another tailgate, in which you boys will become an active member of this sacred tailgating society. Give it up for the Source for all he does to make it possible!!

Like I aforementioned in a previous post, the Tailgate Bash last Saturday will go down into the record books no doubt. I will get into that Arena at some point this year. I'm sure I'll here the old voices bellowing in the rafters and how things must have been before the games knowing it was "rush" seating.

The Source, perhaps the greatest Fighting Sioux booster and die hard fan, puts on an exhibition everytime I see him. Not to mention he does have a Warroad Warrior's Wall dedicated in the dining area. Without a doubt one of the most geniune I've ever met.

It's my hopes, that when the next one comes around, we need more of the Fighting Sioux contingency there. Let's fill up that parking lot at the old Ralph like it once was back in the day.

A TV camera in the locker room caught TJ bouncing and balancing a ball on the blade of his stick, then running it up and down the shaft of the stick as if the ball was on a track. He tossed the ball into the air, circled the blade of his stick around the ball four or five times, and then caught the ball on the blade.

I didn't see the TV thing, but I saw Oshie put on an exhibition like this first-hand last year in Moorhead. It was shortly after the team got off the bus before a game with the Spuds. He was by himself and just playing. Amazing to watch.

Oshie has been awesome. In my opinion, he's been one of the top three Sioux forwards overall. I didn't expect to see this level of play before his second year.

Is it just me or do the Sioux players all seem to be clean cut, no beards, big mops for hair like some of the other teams in the WCHA. I think that all trickles down from the coaching staff to the players. Great, hard-working clean-cut kids who by the way can play the game of hockey extremely well. Proud to be a Sioux fan always!

Oshie has exemplified what it means to be a part of this team and it's tradition. Don't get me wrong, he's an extremly talented hockey player but if guys like Zajac, Stafford, Lee left it all on the ice like he does this team wouldn't lose a game. I hope it rubs off. I'm a big fan of TJ Oshie. I know it is early but I think some players on this team might be a spoiled and take things for granted.

Oshie has exemplified what it means to be a part of this team and it's tradition. Don't get me wrong, he's an extremly talented hockey player but if guys like Zajac, Stafford, Lee left it all on the ice like he does this team wouldn't lose a game. I hope it rubs off. I'm a big fan of TJ Oshie. I know it is early but I think some players on this team might be a spoiled and take things for granted.

you really honestly think others on this team take it for granted to be playing for the sioux, it really shows since we are 5-2-1..come on, that statement is funny.

i like oshie as much as everyone else but to say some other players are spoiled? sorry but that may be a stretch..

I have to disagree with the spoiled thing. All of these players know how great of a place UND is. Some of them have dreamed of playing for the Sioux for years.

They also know that nothing is going to be handed to them here. You don't work hard.......see ya!

What pro17 seems to claim is that certain players don't seem to play hard because of what the Sioux have talent wise.

That's insane.

I'd understand that claim if we were 2-5-1. But we're not.

We're immensely talented and TJ Oshie is a big piece of the cog. Toews may have slightly better hands than TJ but TJ brings an aspect to the game that no other player except perhaps Zajac and Porter (Yes Porter) can truly match. TJ's offensive skills are similar to Zajacs while TJ's motor and drive is a lot like Porter's.

Why do you think that the most effective line on the Sioux is the second most talented? Porter and Oshie are always hustling moving around and driving to the net. Toews has size and speed but mostly hands and scoring ability. It's a deadly line. Once Spirko is back and healthy, I don't know which line will be better. It will honestly be scary to be the opposing goaltender regardless of which of these lines he faces.

And, pro, as far as defensive liability is concerned, Chorney has been the better defensive defenseman thus far. Lee is very good, don't get me wrong, but Chorney has been outstanding.

It may be a stretch, and it may be a bit of a brazen statement. That said, I don't think pro17's that far off base. I can think of a couple players last weekend that could have helped the team with some self motivation. Does this mean they're spoiled? Not necessarily, but to think that all players are getting equal opportunities at all times is in itself "a stretch"... despite what we'd all like to think.

Tell you what...had the privilege of watching TJ for the past three seasons and have been watching fairly closely this season. I saw some of the "sickest" moves put on goalies the Warriors faced. One stands out in particular..comes in all alone on a breakaway, gives the head and shoulder fake and lets the puck slide (trickle) into the net while the goalies stacking his pads on the far side of the net :silly: Another thing you will notice as the season progresses is when carrying the puck and he is attacked he will let the puck float by his feet steady himself for the check and deliver the punishment, pick up the puck and be on his merry way. Recently saw him has definitely bulked up some over the summer, he went to UND READY to play. This is one player you never have to worry about taking a shift off. :D As for Toews having better hands I find that hard to believe if you get a chance to see Osh with a ball and a stick your jaw will hit your chest. I had never seen anything like that; makes the Tiger commercial look like childs play

Why do you think that the most effective line on the Sioux is the second most talented? Porter and Oshie are always hustling moving around and driving to the net..

I don't think it's that simple. There are other possible reasons why Oshie/Toews/Porter have been more productive than the Zajac line so far. Zajac and Stafford have spent a lot of time killing penalties. Zajac and Stafford often face the opposition's top D-pairing and checking line. Zajac has been snake-bitten and at times is looking to pass when he should shoot. I don't think it is valid to question the effor that Zajac and Stafford have put forth or the way they've been able to cycle and control the puck.

I have a pet idea that Zajac and Stafford might thrive with a physical winger who could create some space for them--relieve them of some of the cycling, boards responsibility and free them up to find a shooting lane. I'd like to see how they would look with someone like Prpich. I think Prpich has the ability to do what Jim Archibald did--go from being primarily an agitator and defensive forward to being a big part of the offense as a senior.

And, pro, as far as defensive liability is concerned, Chorney has been the better defensive defenseman thus far. Lee is very good, don't get me wrong, but Chorney has been outstanding.

Both have been superb. I think they are complementary players. One thing to realize about a player like Lee is that sometimes the best defense is a good offense. Every time he makes one of those silky smooth pivots to escape a forecheck or one of his patented short outlet passes to get the puck out of the zone is one time when the opposition isn't pressuring the Sioux goal. His calmness is one of his best attributes, but I must admit that sometimes I wish he'd play with a little more jam..

I've been as impressed with Oshie's play thus far as I have with any other freshman in the past 20 years. His hustle and skill is unbelievable, he's a true pleasure to watch. I don't think he has had one shift this year where you didn't notice him on the ice. He never disappears and seems the be having a blast out there.

Watching the impact he has everytime he steps on the ice is such a contrast to other phenoms such as Kessle. If I had to point to one player for a kid to watch and emulate it would be Oshie. I personally don't see the comparison to Zajac, their games seem pretty different to me. Seems more like a hyper Parise to me. Maybe not as polished as Parise at this point, but he's certainly got the same talent and heart.

And the best part is he will only get better.

Wow. Didn't think I'd get so much hatemail over the spoiled comment. Here's my rationale...

I think Oshie has looked like he's wants to be an impact player every shift.

My spoiled comment derived from an embarassment Saturday night. I don't know how many people know, but they had practice without pucks Sunday morning at 8:45. They should've been skated into the ice for what happened not only at the end of that game, but also the effort throghout the game. They cried about it. Most of UND's players have been the best player on the team they last played on. Some of them are waiting to sign deals worth alot of $$$. They play in a $100+ arena. They act like it sometimes. From my perspective, they need to take a 'bluecollar' approach against teams like Denver(at times). They didn't.

In any event, it's nice to see a kid that was drafted in the 1st round of the NHL draft bust his @ss every shift like it his last.

Wow. Didn't think I'd get so much hatemail over the spoiled comment. Here's my rationale...

I think Oshie has looked like he's wants to be an impact player every shift.

My spoiled comment derived from an embarassment Saturday night. I don't know how many people know, but they had practice without pucks Sunday morning at 8:45. They should've been skated into the ice for what happened not only at the end of that game, but also the effort throghout the game. They cried about it. Most of UND's players have been the best player on the team they last played on. Some of them are waiting to sign deals worth alot of $$$. They play in a $100+ arena. They act like it sometimes. From my perspective, they need to take a 'bluecollar' approach against teams like Denver(at times). They didn't.

In any event, it's nice to see a kid that was drafted in the 1st round of the NHL draft bust his @ss every shift like it his last.

i hear what your saying but it was 1 bad loss, i dont think it was because they are waiting to sign contracts or anything to that nature..funny as well..they lost a game, they played a bad 3rd period..big freakin deal..coach hak will take care of that side as he did with the sunday skate...by the way, denver is not that bad of a team..things got out of hand saturday and im sure the players will learn from that..it is what it is..we lost..oh well..move on and sweep the stinkin badgers...

I have said this in previous posts. These head to head comparisons are difficult, each player brings something different to the table and that's what makes a team. Prpch is one of my favorite players, and don't take this the wrong way, but we only need one player that plays his style. We have some very talented players, it's encouraging to see some of these freshmen playing so well. Lee and Chorney are outstanding. Toews is a very dynamic player, Tj's got great ambition and drive and I think the best is yet to come from all of these guys. I don't really know what to say about Stafford and Zajac, they are snake bitten right now, perhaps Spirko's return can provide the spark they need. I have to agree they are seeing some very tough lines thrown at them right now, maybe Spirko did so many intangible things as to provide them with the scoring touch they had, but I still think that line is second to none in college hockey.