SiouxSports.com Forum

Tyler Hirsch

7>4

Best of luck to Tyler. Hopefully he can get things in order during his year off. I'm sure the Gophers will miss him but the have plenty of talent to step in and take his place. Granted last week was not there best effort, I sure they will have a good season with or without Tyler.

Hopefully this medical hardship isn't being taken for early signs of schizophrenia. I work with schizophrenic clients & this mental illness usually starts showing itself in 17-25 year olds. Intrusive, uncontrollable thoughts that, according to the afflicted, come from one or more outside "people". Schizophrenics also have hardcore delusions (false beliefs that have no basis in reality), are usually quite paranoid & some are hyper-religious. I'm working with a 42 y/o male now who thinks he has an implant in his throat that controls the moods & behaviors of those around him.

I'm hoping that what Tyler is going through is nothing more than transient personal problems & not anything like schizophrenia which is quite debilitating.

Hopefully this medical hardship isn't being taken for early signs of schizophrenia. I work with schizophrenic clients & this mental illness usually starts showing itself in 17-25 year olds. Intrusive, uncontrollable thoughts that, according to the afflicted, come from one or more outside "people". Schizophrenics also have hardcore delusions (false beliefs that have no basis in reality), are usually quite paranoid & some are hyper-religious. I'm working with a 42 y/o male now who thinks he has an implant in his throat that controls the moods & behaviors of those around him.

I'm hoping that what Tyler is going through is nothing more than transient personal problems & not anything like schizophrenia which is quite debilitating.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this really necessary? The fact that schizophrenia is even been considered, not to mention discussed, by a poster is wholly inappropriate at this point.

The kid seeks a medical hardship for who knows what reason and we've already made the leap to the request may have been made because of a substantial psychiatric disorder. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your 42 year old patient isn't the jack-ass that writes for the Fargo Forum is he?

Is this really necessary? The fact that schizophrenia is even been considered, not to mention discussed, by a poster is wholly inappropriate at this point.

The kid seeks a medical hardship for who knows what reason and we've already made the leap to the request may have been made because of a substantial psychiatric disorder. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. This post was/is completely uncalled for.

schmidtdoggydog:

I posted in good faith & was listing this as a remote possibility. It was an opinion and nothing more & was not intended to sensationalize this young man's plight. I was listing my experience in this field & mentioned this because family members are usually shocked when their child comes down with this because of the bizarre behaviors exhibited. Next time, I recommend you & all others ask me or any other poster you have problems with for an explanation before jumping to conclusions. It facillitates discussions.

schmidtdoggydog:

Next time, I recommend you & all others ask me or any other poster you have problems with for an explanation before jumping to conclusions. It facillitates discussions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And I'd recommend not messing with anyone named .357. :silly:

Now that it has been established as a medical condition vice an attitude problem, which it should have been 6+ months ago, nothing more should be said of Hirsch on this site other than to wish him a speedy and successful recovery.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish Tyler the best, get well and hope to see you play again.

And would like to wish Lucia to be hit by traffic. He should have never brought Hirsch back last year and he knows it. He was screwing with this kids life for the purposes of his season. :silly: Wow did that backfire.

I wish Tyler the best, get well and hope to see you play again.

And would like to wish Lucia to be hit by traffic. He should have never brought Hirsch back last year and he knows it. He was screwing with this kids life for the purposes of his season. :silly: Wow did that backfire.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You didn't mention the fact that Tyler, his parents and the doctors wanted him to play in the regionals the following week and Lucia said no. That would just mess up your theory.

There sure are many here who jump to conclusions & dislike sarcasm, or any sensitive topic.

I'd like to know more about stories like this

So many seem to have all this inside info & expect the rest of us to have it too ?

Political Correctness sure is ruining Free Speech & Joking & Teasing, Speculative questions in topics - some topics that is :silly:

It's like someone is always waiting for someone to screw up :lol: This sure can inhibit some conversations

Lighten Up a little

schmidtdoggydog:

Next time, I recommend you & all others ask me or any other poster you have problems with for an explanation before jumping to conclusions. It facillitates discussions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it is safe to say that I am not jumping to conclusions, but you may be about TH. And I don't have a problem with you (in fact, I generally enjoy your posts and point of view), I have a problem with the general assumption of your post. It isn't fair.

If you want to facilitate discussions about mental disorders I am sure there are psychiatric boards where that type of discussion is warranted and wanted.

If you want to discuss this further you can pm me.

According to USCHO.com, Hirsch is taking a medical hardship and will sit out this year.

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,10904/Minneso...nalReasons.html

Here's wishing that Tyler takes care of his personal issues and we see him back on the ice in 06-07.  It's always better to beat the Gophers when they have their A team.

Best of luck Tyler.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It must have been an extremely tough decision to make - we all wish him the best.

Thank all of you for your kind words...I know I never want to see a rivals player hurt, either physically, or have some sort of mental problem. We ( Gopher fans) will miss him, and hopefully he will make it back. If he doesnt come back to the team, I hope he gets his life in order.

P.S. the same goes for Robbie Bina..hope he make it back, and playing again

P.S.S. Kick the crap out of Denver in a couple of weeks (score wise that is :silly: )

I think it is safe to say that I am not jumping to conclusions, but you may be about TH.  And I don't have a problem with you (in fact, I generally enjoy your posts and point of view), I have a problem with the general assumption of your post.  It isn't fair.

If you want to facilitate discussions about mental disorders I am sure there are psychiatric boards where that type of discussion is warranted and wanted.

If you want to discuss this further you can pm me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, to show any others reading this that I don't have any animosity towards you, I thought I would respond in public.

When people see someone going through a hard time, I think it's human nature to try & want to understand them better. At least for me it is. I was reading this thread & the one on USCHO & most of the comments were about the end-results, like what it would mean to the team & mostly well-wishes. I thought the same things, but being the inquisitive type, wanted to know the reasons. Why is this happening to him? immediately popped into my head; & from my work experiences thought I would share with others what could possibly be the beginnings of some organic disorder. Some may have seen this as an inappropriate assumption, but I saw it as an opportunity to maybe shed some light on the situation. (the ol' po-ta-to vs. po-TA-to dilemma)

I'm not trying to pigeon-hole you here, but I think many people see Serious Mental Illness as a stigma, like alcoholism & cancer, & would prefer to shove it under the carpet then talk about it openly. Basically a cultural no-no. It's acceptable to speculate about physical injuries & why a player is doing poorly in the classroom, but when it comes to the inner workings of the mind most people shy away from it, almost reflexively.

I'm probably very wrong about Tyler & I certainly hope it's a fleeting problem. In the end, we'll likely never know what caused him to leave, but I feel it's healthy to discuss the reasons as long as the dialogue is kept respectful & a better understanding is sought.

Thanks for the compliment, a hearty ditto & the best to Tyler.