SiouxSports.com Forum

new OPE report

UND92,96

Here's the new information for the fiscal year ending in June of 2005: link. I'm not quite sure what to make of this since the minutes from the May IAC meeting indicated there was an expected budget shortfall of over $250,000 for fiscal year 2005. Maybe more money than expected came from REA?

Here's the new information for the fiscal year ending in June of 2005: link. I'm not quite sure what to make of this since the minutes from the May IAC meeting indicated there was an expected budget shortfall of over $250,000 for fiscal year 2005. Maybe more money than expected came from REA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Enlighten me. I went to this site and found UND but where did you find info regarding the budget, etc.?

Enlighten me. I went to this site and found UND but where did you find info regarding the budget, etc.?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just looked at the reported gross revenue of $10,021,643 compared to the reported gross expenses of $9,958,728. It's on the yellow highlighted portion of the linked page.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the link I posted earlier, but after awhile, it seems to change from a link to the UND page to a link to the NDSU page. I've changed it twice already, and it has eventually changed back to the NDSU page each time. So I guess instead of changing it again, I'll just give a heads-up that this is an ongoing problem. Sorry for any confusion this has caused.

EDIT: The link seems to be working again now, but don't be surprised if it isn't later in the day. :D

I'm not sure what the deal is with the link I posted earlier, but after awhile, it seems to change from the UND information to the NDSU information. I've changed it twice already, and it has eventually changed back to the NDSU information each time. So I guess instead of changing it again, I'll just give a heads-up that this is an ongoing problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The NDSU data is last year's (03 - 04), not this year's...not sure what's going on...

I'm not sure what the deal is with the link I posted earlier, but after awhile, it seems to change from a link to the UND page to a link to the NDSU page. I've changed it twice already, and it has eventually changed back to the NDSU page each time. So I guess instead of changing it again, I'll just give a heads-up that this is an ongoing problem. Sorry for any confusion this has caused.

EDIT:  The link seems to be working again now, but don't be surprised if it isn't later in the day.  :D

The link (http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetail.asp?CRITERIA=3) doesn't seem to actually include any information about the institution so my guess is that it just takes you to whatever school you were last looking at (probably stored in a cookie in your browser). When I click it I land on an index page.

What I see in those numbers is this:

1. UND has reported FY05 (yes, FY05*) and come in about $62,900 in the black (by EADA accounting**).

2. NDSU's numbers are still FY04 numbers.

* UND and NDSU athletics are both currently in FY 06. The fiscal year for each started on July 1, 2005.

** It's anyone's guess if EADA reporting and accounting matches UND's methods of internal accounting. EADA could look at some things as "revenues" that UND considers internally "expenses" or doesn't consider (or vice versa).

Could the shortfalls he sees not be purely "fiscal" but "facilities" related? (Facilities require fundraising also.)

I'm yet to be in a room with him when I haven't heard him mention the need to bring the facilities for the other sport in line with those available to hockey, basketball, volleyball, and football.

• 2 weeks later...
NDSU's fiscal year 2005 numbers are now out, and they're reporting to have broken even, with revenues and expenses both reported at $7,668,848. I won't bother trying a link after the difficulties I encountered trying a link to the UND numbers.

Two words: "audit" ???

That'd be a first assumption I'd have to go with also. (That could cause that "miraculous" alignment of costs and revenues.)

From what I've heard, that's not the case--waivers may be under consideration for the future, but I don't believe they've been used in the past...Maybe Irv is just better than you guys think?! :silly:

There was this article in the USA Today a couple of weeks ago that talked about the incredible amount of inaccuracies in these reports. The other thing to remember is that there is no accounting standardization and a great deal of gray area. So what what school may be reporting as revenue, another isn't, etc.

I really think that one of the State's legislators should require each school in the state to fill out a uniform athletic financial reporting form.

The only two numbers I care about:

Tuition waivers, if any.

Discretionary university funds spent on athletics.

I want this from everybody from Lake Region State to UND and NDSU. I'm just as confused by how little junior colleges scrap up money for scholarships.

That'd be a first assumption I'd have to go with also. (That could cause that "miraculous" alignment of costs and revenues.)

Alternatively, I believe that a few boosters (and if you're familiar with Team Makers and the University, you know who these people are) covered the gap in last minute donations.

Anybody else remember who Team Makers came up with a few hundred thousand dollars last minute in the spring, that wasn't me.