SiouxSports.com Forum

Throwback Weekend for Northeastern series

Uncle_Rico

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will probably be the ones from the early Nintys with just North Dakota across so they can reuse them when the NC$$ tournament starts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are probably correct. :D

How boring! Yawn! :angry:

I think We/UND should wear blank jersey's!(for any tournaments away from UND)

Is there a rule a team must have lettering or a logo? I wonder how the NCAA could make any $$$ off a blank jersey? :love:

You are probably correct. :(

How boring! Yawn! :D

I think We/UND should wear blank jersey's!(for any tournaments away from UND)

Is there a rule a team must have lettering or a logo? I wonder how the NCAA could make any $$$ off a blank jersey? :love:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Throwback weekend? Nice timing on this! :angry: Now half the crowd will see it and FREAK OUT UND is already backing away from the indian head logo...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They'll continue to sell the current jersey, and will make even more bucks considering that they'll be obsolete. THe NCAA will overlook their own policy if there are $ to be made.

I would be extremely surprised if we showed up this weekend and the jerseys are not our "Playoff Jerseys". Obviously UND needs jersey's that do not have the nickname and logo for the playoffs. They don't want to wait until the week before playoff's start to get them.

The school is probably just trying to turn this into a positive. Wear the jersey's once or twice during the season to help get your moneys worth. Also to let the fans see them during the season so that it is not as big of a deal come playoffs. Invite back some Alumni and call it "Throwback Weekend".

Has the team worn any throwback jerseys in the last few years that they could possibly be pulling out of storage for the weekend? The only thing I can think of is the exhibition game in the old Ralph right before the new arena opened up. Didn't they wear throwback jerseys that game?

I would be extremely surprised if we showed up this weekend and the jerseys are not our "Playoff Jerseys". Obviously UND needs jersey's that do not have the nickname and logo for the playoffs. They don't want to wait until the week before playoff's start to get them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think Chuck was just kidding on Aug. 12 when he was asked about covering up logos at The Ralph and he said:

"I can't even comprehend - even fathom - asking the Engelstad Arena to do that. Not because of any physical impossibility or difficulty, but because of the very idea. It would imply all kinds of things that we're not willing to have implied."

I doubt that Kupchella is any more willing to imply something now than he was then.

I can only think of one UND "throwback" jersey that would pass muster with the NCAA's latest dance with PC --> the (ugly) block letters Kendall Baker "North Dakota" models.

Of course, "Dakota" is a tribal name ....

I don't think Chuck was just kidding on Aug. 12 when he was asked about covering up logos at The Ralph and he said:

I doubt that Kupchella is any more willing to imply something now than he was then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wearing an alternate jersey is facially different than covering up the logos in the arena. It's not like UND will wear their regular jersey with a big patch over the name and logo. It'll be an alternate jersey that doesn't explicitly cover anything up. The "coverup" will be implicit by the absence of the logo and the word 'Sioux'. Chuck might be more comfortable with the idea of an implicit coverup (at least on a temporary basis until the issue is resolved in court).

If push comes to shove and this issue is not favorably resolved come playoff time, my hunch is that UND would comply with the rule and wear an alternate jersey. Unless, of course, they are able to obtain a temporary restraining order while the case is in litigation. :love:

In any event, it's entirely possible that this throwback weekend and the accompanying jersies were planned before this NCAA nickname fiasco. In fact, I bet they simply recycle the jersies they wore against UMD a couple years back (the Prpich-Peluso series).

Wearing an alternate jersey is facially different than covering up the logos in the arena.  It's not like UND will wear their regular jersey with a big patch over the name and logo.  It'll be an alternate jersey that doesn't explicitly cover anything up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand that. My point is that UND isn't going to cover anything up until it absolutely, positively has to.

You are forgetting that this is a money making opportunity for UND, PCM. Why introduce the alternate jersey in March at the NCAA playoffs when you can introduce it now in October? It gives people 5 months to buy the new alternate jersey. Jersey geeks, like me, will buy the dumb thing. :love:

If UND waits until the final ruling on what jerseys they can wear to do something, they might be able to wear their regular jerseys. That means one less jersey they'd be selling in the pro shop.

You are forgetting that this is a money making opportunity for UND, PCM.  Why introduce the alternate jersey in March at the NCAA playoffs when you can introduce it now in October?  It gives people 5 months to buy the new alternate jersey.  Jersey geeks, like me, will buy the dumb thing. :angry:

If UND waits until the final ruling on what jerseys they can wear to do something, they might be able to wear their regular jerseys.  That means one less jersey they'd be selling in the pro shop.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they really wanted to make money, they'd wear the old blackhawk-style jersies this weekend and start selling them in the proshop. :love:

I just visited the siouxshop.com site and they are selling the jerseys from 1947 (I think).  They are white and kelly green and have a small logo, then in a semi circle SIOUX on the front.  I bet that's what you'll be seeing this weekend.

Either way...GO SIOUX!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you mean 1954-57, as found HERE. I agree, that's what they'll be wearing this weekend.

I'll say it again...in case anyone missed it...throwback weekend WILL be misconstrued as UND backing off the indian head logo...maybe only by Doreen YelllowBird or the other "journalists" at the Heraldo (or god forbid GK!) but it will be noticed! This is one promotion they should have skipped THIS year :love:

I don't think so. If they do indeed use the uni's from the 1950's, they say "SIOUX" right across the front. Those are as "hostile and abusive" as our current uni's.

I suppose there's a chance if we just used the "North Dakota" historical jersey's it could be construed that way, but really, the following weekend the team will be wearing the regular jerseys, so I don't think anyone could make any headway with that argument.

I'm not worried about it, and I for one enjoy seeing the old jerseys.