SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Decision is in

82SiouxGuy

Dr. K: The middle ground here is to manage things in a way that's less offensive. We've tried mightily to do that. Every complaint that's been brought to me has been dealt with. If there are things we can do to make it less offensive, let's identify them and make them less offensive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That wasn't even a question, it was a completely biased statement posed to Dr. K from a female "reporter".

Did you hear that PCM? wow

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. K: The Board of Higher Education might want to weigh in on this issue. That's who I work for and report to.

The resolution passed in Bismarck said that we need to work with the tribes and I think that's where were headed. Whatever the future holds, we need to work with the tribes. They're a big part of the fabric of this part of the world. We have an obligation to work with them. To the extent that they'll let us engage in the dialogue, we'll do it.

(Unfortunately, I can't really hear the questions being asked by the reporters.)

Dr. K: I'm glad the entire weight of the decision wasn't put on the Spirit Lake tribe. What the NCAA wanted from them seemed to change from day to day. I've asked for a rescheduling of the meeting with Spirit Lake. I've been told by some that it will be rescheduled, but nothing's official.

Dr. K: NCAA has gotten a lot of criticism for getting into what should be a local issue. Then they made everybody mad by giving three exemptions.

They previously exempted the Aztecs because there supposedly aren't any left. Jeez, we better make an example of somebody here. There are only 15 schools left.

The reporters statement (not question) was how a janitor dragging a garbage can over the Sioux logo is an example of the university not using the name and logo in a respectful manner.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, OK. I heard him make a comment about a janitor, but I didn't know what he was responding to.

It's too bad that UND has to go through the rest of the appeals process in order to "exhaust" all of their appeal options, and they can't just file a lawsuit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suspect that the NCAA Executive Committee will waste little time turning down UND's appeal. At least, that's the impression that Kupchella gave.

What if UND gets the approval of Spirit Lake?  That could slow down the rejection so we can have another month of sitting around picking our noses.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Remember, if you pick it you must flick it. :angry:

Go SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What if UND gets the approval of Spirit Lake?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm doubtful that this will happen now unless there are a ton of people at Spirit Lake who are outraged by the NCAA's decision and demand that the tribal council vote to support UND.

I'm doubtful that this will happen now unless there are a ton of people at Spirit Lake who are outraged by the NCAA's decision and demand that the tribal council vote to support UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't that happening, or having an impact on the NC$$ decision.

I feel so bad for the American Indian students at Fort Totten Four Winds Community School that are wearing hostile and abusive clothing with the Fighting Sioux name and logo.  I hope the NCAA can save them from themselves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've seen the same thing at Spirit Lake. It's a shame these kids don't know any better. :angry:

I had a check ready to send for the Band fund. I'm redoing it and sending only half the original amount I was going to send. The other half will be put aside in case it's needed for a legal fund to support the court case to keep our Sioux name.

The American Indians of North or South Dakota do not own the name Sioux and if they are offended by our use of it they can just go by their 'real' names. As an alum, I am offended by the NC$$ and all the Name Changers. They are not only insulting the University but they insult me as well with their unfounded accusations and distortation of the truth. The audacity of their small minded, ill-conceived notions!! The fact that they actually think that they can take away our right to the First Amendment is appalling!! The fact that we love and feel a strong loyalty to the name will prevail and we will win this case in a REAL court of law. Don't trample on my rights as a U.S. citizen because I'll trample all over your face and win!!

I intend to wear Sioux gear every day. I have to be a bit formal at work so I will wear a Sioux pin on my work clothes every day as well. Geeze, I'm so mad I want to hit somebody, hard and often. Where's that Brand @#$%&? :angry:

Wonder who that was?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In thinking about it, I wonder if it was even a reporter. It sounded as if there were others at the news conference who were trying to speak or ask questions. Kupchella seemed determined not to allow anyone but media to ask questions.

In thinking about it, I wonder if it was even a reporter. It sounded as if there were others at the news conference who were trying to speak or ask questions. Kupchella seemed determined not to allow anyone but media to ask questions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you're right. At one point, I believe, he said something about taking another questions from a reporter; with the emphasis on reporter. That was after the janitor statement. I didn't hear the question/statement he was responding to either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Correct - it was not a reporter - someone in the crowd who asked about a picture taken showing a janitor dragging a garbage can across the logo in the marble floor at the Ralph and that did put the ki-bosh on "non-media" questions...