SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux ranked number one.

Let'sGoHawks!

Polls are meaningless, but we jumped Grand Valley for the number one spot.

D2Football.com poll

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They arent meaningless to the fans!!!!! We are thought of as the best team in the land and it is about time we got that recognition!!!!! CONGRATS D2football.com for finally getting it right!!!! (they must have read my post from last week!)

#2 UND prev. 4

#4 UNO prev. 5

#13 SCSU prev. 15

#14 USD prev. 16

Good showing by the NCC with all four schools moving up.

Others receiving votes: Bemidji State

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone think that South Dakota is over-rated? I think their competition is really pretty weak. Inflating on cup cakes before the NCC season.

Does anyone think that South Dakota is over-rated? I think their competition is really pretty weak. Inflating on cup cakes before the NCC season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Their competition has been very weak but that doesn't mean that they are over rated. We will find out in the next few weeks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummmm.... no, after reading about the beatdown they gave UNO, the Monster here is inclined to think that they're legit!! 59 to 14?? Things are getting interesting in the NW region.

Ummmm....  no, after reading about the beatdown they gave UNO, the Monster here is inclined to think that they're legit!!  59 to 14??  Things are getting interesting in the NW region.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I'd have to say USD is legit. The questions I still have about them are whether they can really stop or even slow down the pass against a decent passing team (gave up 350-plus vs. Mines), whether they can win on the road against a legit opponent (they haven't really played one yet), and what would happen to them if Logan went down with an injury. Their biggest test prior to UND will be playing at SCSU, and the Huskies will be looking for revenge after getting blown out in Vermillion last year. USD reminds me a little bit of Pitt State last year in terms of having a very high-scoring offense. To beat them, you need to have a great defense, and an offense that is better than adequate because you know they'll probably score more than 20 against anybody.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but there's potentially going to be a real injustice when the playoff selections are announced this year. With Bemidji State losing to Concordia-St. Paul yesterday, the last chance for an NSIC team to go undefeated went out the window. That likely means that the winner of the Winona-Concordia game at the end of the regular season will get into the playoffs via "earned access," i.e. so long as a conference has a team ranked in the top 10 in the region, they get a playoff bid. So either a Concordia team that lost by 21 at Duluth, and managed just a 3-point home win over Augie gets in, or a Winona State team that lost to one of the worst teams in the MIAA, and got absolutely blown out on their home field by the Sioux gets in. I realize that in the past few seasons Winona deserved to get in so "earned access" never came into play, but this season, I don't think there's any way that an NSIC team belongs in the playoffs. I just hope UND isn't sitting with two losses or the prospect of getting passed over in favor of Winona State is a very real possibility. :huh:

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but there's potentially going to be a real injustice when the playoff selections are announced this year. With Bemidji State losing to Concordia-St. Paul yesterday, the last chance for an NSIC team to go undefeated went out the window. That likely means that the winner of the Winona-Concordia game at the end of the regular season will get into the playoffs via "earned access," i.e. so long as a conference has a team ranked in the top 10 in the region, they get a playoff bid. So either a Concordia team that lost by 21 at Duluth, and managed just a 3-point home win over Augie gets in, or a Winona State team that lost to one of the worst teams in the MIAA, and got absolutely blown out on their home field by the Sioux gets in. I realize that in the past few seasons Winona deserved to get in so "earned access" never came into play, but this season, I don't think there's any way that an NSIC team belongs in the playoffs. I just hope UND isn't sitting with two losses or the prospect of getting passed over in favor of Winona State is a very real possibility.  :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you really think that a NSIC team will still be in the top ten by the end of the year?

Do you really think that a NSIC team will still be in the top ten by the end of the year?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I'm pretty sure that a 9-2 NSIC team would be in the top 10. You'll probably have UND, USD, SCSU, UNO, Grand Valley, Saginaw Valley, Northwood, Michigan Tech, and if they were to run the table, Central Washington. That leaves either one or two slots open, depending on what Central Washington does the rest of the way, and I don't see a fifth NCC team or GLIAC team with probably four losses ranked ahead of a 2-loss NSIC team. Maybe I'm wrong, but even Bemidji State last year with an 8-3 record and a soft non-conference schedule finished just outside the top 10 at number 11.

In the GLIAC right now there are 3 teams at 4-0, Saggy, Michigan Tech, and GVSU. Northwood is 4-1. And Ashland and Findlay are at 3-2 and they only had to face two of the four top teams in the league. Their only other tough game left on their schedual is each other, so one of those teams will likely end up being 9-2.

In the NCC, things are more compicated. Only one team with a losing record, and another at 3-2. 3 teams at 5-0 and a pair teams with only one loss. Good thing here is that all of those teams play each other here. However, its still pretty much a horserace here as well, with UND the current favorate to win out here. The real race is figuring out who's coming out of the NCC with the second best record.

Either way, one thing is certain about the playoff race in the Northwest this year. Somebody is going to be on the outside looking in at the end of the year and will have to stay home and cry in their beer. :):huh: