SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Ryan Gropp was recently at UND for a visit and would be another great get, looks like he and Wade Murphy are friends too which could maybe help.

Wade Murphy@wmurphy937m

Great to see my boy @Gropper8 here at North Dakota last night, kid is sorta a beauty #stallmate #mitts #swag

Retweeted by Schlossman

Schlossman@SchlossmanGF1m

That means Ryan Gropp, believed to be the top '96 in the BCHL, visited UND this weekend.

Just looked this gropp kid up looks ok, his numbers are a tad low but he's young.

Edit: looks as though anyone would take him....hope he comes hear then.

Numbers a good measuring tool but they don't always tell the whole story.

Gropp would be a great addition to the list of UND commits. He is a highly-regarded player who didn't look a bit out of place playing as a just-turned-16 year old in the BCHL. IMO, he'd be an elite level commitment should he choose to attend North Dakota.

Gropp would be a great addition to the list of UND commits. He is a highly-regarded player who didn't look a bit out of place playing as a just-turned-16 year old in the BCHL. IMO, he'd be an elite level commitment should he choose to attend North Dakota.

Impressed me with his numbers for only being 16 I like r chances on getting him

Numbers a good measuring tool but they don't always tell the whole story.

Your only as good as you are on paper, I learned that early in my life. His numbers are not terrible though as that team was pretty old. im guessing he didnt see a ton if PP time. We'll see what he does next year im guessing he kills it.

Simply using statistics is a great method of evaluating players that you have never seen play. I'm wondering what your conversion factor is when you compare players from different leagues. Also, what's the number of points expected, by league, of kids at each age level in that league? And then, what age do you give up on kids because they have not reached the arbitrary point level?

Then you have to factor in role playing now and potential as a future role player. Many scorers in junior are pegged for role player jobs in the show, and you can even go in the first round if you are projected to be an excellent checker. I've heard from a number of guys who were 40 goal guys in junior and 20 goal guys in college how quickly you realize who the Ovechkins and Stamkoses are when you get to camp. Look at a Dave Bolland for example, he had 57 goals and 130 points in the O, but he's never had 20 in the show.

Your only as good as you are on paper, I learned that early in my life. His numbers are not terrible though as that team was pretty old. im guessing he didnt see a ton if PP time. We'll see what he does next year im guessing he kills it.

Well from what I've found on youtube he played on the powerplay, had only one powerplay goal.

http://youtu.be/_iiR9t32VXc

http://youtu.be/seeT8yuVwew

He's a top prospect and would be an awesome get. He went in the first round of the W Bantam draft...that's serious potential

Ryan Gropp is an exceptional hockey player," said Sosa, the former Thunderbirds radio color commentator. "Everybody in the business knew that [Gropp's] family was very educated and really believed in university education. On top of that, the father played university hockey. Given those facts, it was probably reasonable to expect that Ryan would choose the NCAA route."

The Thunderbirds ended up liking Gropp so much that they decided that drafting him with their first-round pick was worth the risk -- a risk that's taken with every single choice in the Bantam Draft.

One can view a similar situation with current Chicago Blackhawks superstar and former University of North Dakota center Jonathan Toews, who was drafted by the Tri-City Americans first overall in 2003.

That '96 class looks like it could be special. I like the odds of at least a few of those guys continuing their development as elite, impact players and bringing that same element at the college level. The chances of all of them being elite players is probably not all that great, because they won't all have the same role at the next level, but I think each can contribute something special. I just hope the fans understand that not all of them are going to be elite players in college, so take them for what they can bring to the table.

Dillion Simpson's brother Riley had a pretty good year in the AMHL in 34 games he was (26-29-55) he also played 10 games for Spruce Grove Saints (2-3-5). It looks like he'll be playing next season for the Spruce Grove Saints in the AJHL.

Simply using statistics is a great method of evaluating players that you have never seen play. I'm wondering what your conversion factor is when you compare players from different leagues. Also, what's the number of points expected, by league, of kids at each age level in that league? And then, what age do you give up on kids because they have not reached the arbitrary point level?

Typically BC players put up big offensive numbers as the league isn't as deep as the USHL. There are great teams in that league though. Point per game players in the USHL are what you want (unless they're really young). I liked Nick Schamtz's year last year as well given his age.

He's a top prospect and would be an awesome get. He went in the first round of the W Bantam draft...that's serious potential

Ryan Gropp is an exceptional hockey player," said Sosa, the former Thunderbirds radio color commentator. "Everybody in the business knew that [Gropp's] family was very educated and really believed in university education. On top of that, the father played university hockey. Given those facts, it was probably reasonable to expect that Ryan would choose the NCAA route."

The Thunderbirds ended up liking Gropp so much that they decided that drafting him with their first-round pick was worth the risk -- a risk that's taken with every single choice in the Bantam Draft.

One can view a similar situation with current Chicago Blackhawks superstar and former University of North Dakota center Jonathan Toews, who was drafted by the Tri-City Americans first overall in 2003.

Agreed his numbers are a tad low but he is also 6'3'' 170...he might still be getting his coordination. sometimes though kids sprout up and it takes a year or two to fill out. From what I have watched and read he's top flight. I'm guessing he has a nice year this upcoming year.

Then you have to factor in role playing now and potential as a future role player. Many scorers in junior are pegged for role player jobs in the show, and you can even go in the first round if you are projected to be an excellent checker. I've heard from a number of guys who were 40 goal guys in junior and 20 goal guys in college how quickly you realize who the Ovechkins and Stamkoses are when you get to camp. Look at a Dave Bolland for example, he had 57 goals and 130 points in the O, but he's never had 20 in the show.

That's what I was trying to say....in most cases, even NHL role players dominated in lower leagues. Then look at NHL superstars and they REALLY dominated.

Typically BC players put up big offensive numbers as the league isn't as deep as the USHL. There are great teams in that league though. Point per game players in the USHL are what you want (unless they're really young). I liked Nick Schamtz's year last year as well given his age.

Is the league not as deep or is defense emphasized more in the USHL?

Is the league not as deep or is defense emphasized more in the USHL?

It is not as deep. One of my buddies who played pro and now coaches in the USHL broke it down for me one night. As far as the 16-20 age group is concerned the CHL leagues are top (and are known to be the best development league in the world). USHL is second with the BCHL being third. This is all in North America obviously.

Can a college team beat a CHL team...yes. There will be higher raw skill in the CHL however college teams will be bigger, stronger and smarter due to their maturity. Top CHL teams could also beat top college teams in a given game. Top USHL teams would also be average to above average if they played a season competing in one of the three CHL leagues. Lastly, the top BCHL teams would be very competitive in the USHL.

All other leagues AJHL, EJHL, etc. are pretty far below the leagues I mentioned but decent players can come out of them (Frattin, etc.)

It is not as deep. One of my buddies who played pro and now coaches in the USHL broke it down for me one night. As far as the 16-20 age group is concerned the CHL leagues are top (and are known to be the best development league in the world). USHL is second with the BCHL being third. This is all in North America obviously.

Can a college team beat a CHL team...yes. There will be higher raw skill in the CHL however college teams will be bigger, stronger and smarter due to their maturity. Top CHL teams could also beat top college teams in a given game. Top USHL teams would also be average to above average if they played a season competing in one of the three CHL leagues. Lastly, the top BCHL teams would be very competitive in the USHL.

All other leagues AJHL, EJHL, etc. are pretty far below the leagues I mentioned but decent players can come out of them (Frattin, etc.)

Then simply the different leagues attract a different goal minded player. The kids who play in the USHL seem to be looking for a college education first NHL career second. Where as the CHL player is looking for a NHL career first and college education second. Would it be safe to say that most BCHL kids are looking for a college education? But with more of an emphasis on a NHL career than a USHL kid?

Then simply the different leagues attract a different goal minded player. The kids who play in the USHL seem to be looking for a college education first NHL career second. Where as the CHL player is looking for a NHL career first and college education second. Would it be safe to say that most BCHL kids are looking for a college education? But with more of an emphasis on a NHL career than a USHL kid?

The USHL is such a great league....I would say players from this league more likely than not go the college route....or why wouldn't they have gone to Canada in the first place. However I've seen young USHL players go the CHl route as well. The CHL is for players focusing soley on hockey and wanting to go pro. The BCHL was started for Canadian kids who want an education as well I would say their train of though is very similar to a player from the USHL. I would actually say more players from the USHL go on to play in the CHL than players from the BCHL.

Agree that the USHL has really become a great league, and I think it is a great way to develop while still retaining college eligibility. CHL is still the best place to develop, but you are, as stated, really betting it all on hockey.

Unless you are a 2+ point per game player in Midget AAA and a point per game player in Tier 1 International play, you'd be crazy to throw away your college eligibility IMO.

• 1 month later...

Saw on twitter that Ethen Frank (Omaha AAA HC) visited UND today. He's a 98-born forward

He must be 15 still. 5'9 forward from what I could find. 4th round WHL draft pick. I'm assuming someone has his rights in USHL.