SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I found this comment to be kind of funny, because I think the UND recruiting class for next year is pretty good. RWD is this statement objectionable?

WCHA

I don't find it objectionable at all. First off, until Malone, it's a pretty small class, with a mix of pedigree. With Malone it's not a big class either:

Marto - I think you're looking at potential there, vs a star.

Trupp - definitely a top flight recruit

LaPoint - a very good recruit

Hamilton - transfer from AA.

Malone - definitely a top flight recruit

I think Malone definitely raises the curve on the class. If the Sioux are after/can get one more top flight forward it should be an excellent class.

Here is a question I have to throw out there. Now that Malone is on board how many other forwards can we go after. With Lamoureaux (supposedly) already having an offer is it possible to land Nash and or Gregoire (from the sounds of it he is doing quite well in the USHL after only a few games) for next year. Someone mentioned that we might be after Nash for 08 but I'm not sure.

Porter gone- Malone

Fabian gone- Trupp

Toews gone- Hamilton

Not much room for anyone else.

Here is a question I have to throw out there. Now that Malone is on board how many other forwards can we go after. With Lamoureaux (supposedly) already having an offer is it possible to land Nash and or Gregoire (from the sounds of it he is doing quite well in the USHL after only a few games) for next year. Someone mentioned that we might be after Nash for 08 but I'm not sure.

Porter gone- Malone

Fabian gone- Trupp

Toews gone- Hamilton

I know we've read that Oshie might stay 3 years but it's hard to imagine/count on that. Would seem you need a contingency for that for '07 too.

Porter gone- Malone

Fabian gone- Trupp

Toews gone- Hamilton

Don't forget about Foyt...he's a senior. And I think Oshie will be gone at the end of the year also. There's two more spots.

The Sioux give few full scholarships as I understand. They can break them up into 1/2s or 1/4s. A scholarship probably isn't so important for someone like Toews who should do OK financially...

Who's still out there, potentially:

2007:

Ben Blood - Physical D-Man

Riley Nash - Talented Forward from Salmon Arm

Mario Lamoureux - Physical Forward (brother at UND)

Cam Lamoureux - A top Forward in Alberta (Dad played at UND) (possible 2008?)

Jason Gregoire - Forward from Manitoba doing well in USHL

Dayn Belfour - I don't know much outside the name, but expect an elite Goalie for 2007 or 2008.

2008:

David Toews - (come on David, make it official) - we fans can't get enough Toews...

Nico Sacchetti - Ranger...

Jordy Murray - Small speedster

Jake Youso - Forward from International Falls

David Carle - Hey Denver took John Lee...

I still think we end up with Mario Lamoureux. No evidence just a feeling I have. As for the others I would think that we have a good shot at Gregoire, Riley Nash and hopefully Ben Blood. I think if Toews goes the college route he will very likely come here and I would think we would get Murray. I don't get a good feeling about Sacchetti and Youso. Wasn't it Youso that was supposedly really wanting to go to the Goofs? I am not completely sure on that however. Great post by the way. It's good to see all of the names together in one post.

From what I hear Sacchetti will either go to UMD or the Goofs. I know he is in the top few of almost all the 08 rankings I have seen but I'm not that big on him. I played against him this summer and wasn't impressed in the slightest bit. I would also through out names such as Kelly Zajac and Derek Lee for 08. Also, Michael Cichy but I am guessing he is headed the MJ route.

I hppe this is still the case at S-SM. CSTV Chat

James Hanley, Hershey PA: I moved from North Dakota to PA, so I know the history of the Fighting Sioux Hockey Team. What was your feeling when you first put on the Sioux Jersey and stepped on to the ice, have you ever been in the old "RALPH", where a lot of Sioux History has been made? Thanks for your time and GO FIGHTING SIOUX HOCKEY !!!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan Toews: Well it was definitely something special. When I went to school at Shattuck St. Mary's, we were all Fighting Sioux fans because there were already a lot of players who graduated and were playing for the Sioux. So when I moved on from Shattuck and wore the Sioux crest, I felt like I had some big shoes to fill there. It's a great feeling to play for this program because you have so many loyal fans supporting you every game. You almost want to go out there and win games for the Sioux fan who has been sitting in that same seat all these years. So every game you're playing for something that is much bigger than yourself.

I know we've read that Oshie might stay 3 years but it's hard to imagine/count on that. Would seem you need a contingency for that for '07 too.

The extra players, some of whom will have to sit because of numbers. seem to be getting better and better. Even more competition for playing time. How many more highly regarded recruits can the Sioux possibly get, knowing that they may be watching the freshmen year. May have to start hockey redshirting :D

the way that i see it, they are expecting lee to leave...based on the fact that they have 2 d recruits for 2007. if you disagree, let it be known.

porter-hamilton

foyt-marto

fabian-malone

toews-trupp

lee-lapoint??

so, unless they think oshie is leaving(im optomistic on him refining his skills more), they are full...this of course is assuming position for position replacements.

EDIT: i realized that UND has won with malone, trupp, and lapoint...against wisconsin-that says alot for UND...im also uber pumped on the malone pickup!!

Don't forget that North Dakota has an offer on the table with the TOP recruit in the USHL, Brett Bruneteau.

western college hockey doesnt have UND listed as a finalist...im assuming that you know something i dont(but hey, who doesnt? :D ). UND is also interested in nash and mario lammy...im thinking mario will go whl, and that would mean we will have to wait and see on those two...