SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Recruits

dagies

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Redwing,

Secondly, a short rope for Jordan Parise? Am I hearing this right? So, that automatically makes Jordan a bad goaltender?
you took that out of context, i didn't mean short rope as in one bad game and done, but phil is sitting there itching to get in, and if he does, and plays his ass off, he could become the man. I'm not saying this would happen, but when manny had a bad game or two, roly played the next couple before manny got another shot. I would love to see parise as the #1 with a spot start here and there for whomever is the backup, but we know that's not how it's worked in the recent past until the end of the year.

Let me tell you folks something, translated into the NHL, I think someone like Phil would be demanding a trade because there's NO F-ING WAY short of a total meltdown or a significant injury that Jordan would be named #1 goaltender with the performance he's shown. There are PLENTY of examples to prove this. The only good thing about the Wild the past few years was that they had two quality goaltenders. Roloson could never step in and be a #1 because Fernandez was simply too good. Jordan was the difference at times during the season between winning and losing a game. He's not a show stopper, but NEITHER IS PHIL. For goodness sakes people! The only people who have Jordan on a short leash are you guys! Hakstol has faith in him, the team has faith in him. Those are TWO very important factors. As long as those two are solidly in Jordan's corner, so am I.

I agree 99%. read above for my take on the wild goalies. the one % i disagree is that both goalies have the capabilities of being a show stopper. I think that jordan has all the tools, hell we've seen it for three years. I think the only knock on phil is he's a headcase...and that can be fixed... and the rest of the tools are there for him too. Would you consider Elliot a show stopper? i would, it doesn't mean that a bad game doesn't happen.

Is Phil a bad goaltender? Nope. Does he deserve a shot? Sure. But should it come at the expense of one game where a myriad of factors affected the outcome? Nope. Sorry. Point fingers all you want but Jordan wasn't even the MAIN reason why we lost to BC. I guess some people here do need someone to blame for the loss. It might as well be Jordan, I guess. Should that chance come at the cost of a goaltender who has done nothing but represent UND extremely well the past 3 years? Hell no.
I honestly think that if jordan had the defense in front of him this year that he had in zach's last year, he would have signed already because his numbers would have been THAT much better and we wouldn't be having this argument.

For you scapegoaters out there, you'll just have to cope with that. Or maybe go haunt the UND player whose shot hit the STICK of Schneider and stayed out of the net. Maybe you can blame him instead.

I have never once blamed that game on Parise. I feel that they finally played their age, not their ability, and BC took every advantage given to them. and it was still a close game.

I think that we are in agreement that Jordan should and will be the man if he does in fact stay, I just feel that if Lammy get's any kind of sustained shot at playing time, he could make the most of it. You know as well as i do that college hockey is a "what have you done for me lately?" kind of a game when it comes to the end of the season and playoffs are on the line.

Redwing,

you took that out of context, i didn't mean short rope as in one bad game and done, but phil is sitting there itching to get in, and if he does, and plays his ass off, he could become the man. I'm not saying this would happen, but when manny had a bad game or two, roly played the next couple before manny got another shot. I would love to see parise as the #1 with a spot start here and there for whomever is the backup, but we know that's not how it's worked in the recent past until the end of the year.

I agree 99%. read above for my take on the wild goalies. the one % i disagree is that both goalies have the capabilities of being a show stopper. I think that jordan has all the tools, hell we've seen it for three years. I think the only knock on phil is he's a headcase...and that can be fixed... and the rest of the tools are there for him too. Would you consider Elliot a show stopper? i would, it doesn't mean that a bad game doesn't happen.

I honestly think that if jordan had the defense in front of him this year that he had in zach's last year, he would have signed already because his numbers would have been THAT much better and we wouldn't be having this argument.

I have never once blamed that game on Parise. I feel that they finally played their age, not their ability, and BC took every advantage given to them. and it was still a close game.

I think that we are in agreement that Jordan should and will be the man if he does in fact stay, I just feel that if Lammy get's any kind of sustained shot at playing time, he could make the most of it. You know as well as i do that college hockey is a "what have you done for me lately?" kind of a game when it comes to the end of the season and playoffs are on the line.

I see. I understand a lot better now what you are saying. I did think that that was what was indeed going on with the Sioux. Jordan was the man, but Hak gave plenty of opportunities to Phil to play. Especially early in the season. Hakstol went to JPar only when it became apparent that he had to choose one goaltender to make or break the season. He chose Jordan and, like Hak was last year, Hak made the right decision.

I agree that what should be done is what the Wild did with Roloson and Fernandez, especially early in the season. Rotate goaltenders and play the hot hand. For example, (assumes both goaltenders have equally good practices) Jordan plays on Friday and Phil on Saturday. Jordan plays well but still loses the game. Phil plays good and wins. Next week, Phil should start on Friday. Jordan can get back in the saddle on Saturday barring a huge Friday game from Phil. The same thing vice versa.

With the quality of goaltending we have, it would not benefit this team to have a true #1 goaltender. The price we'd pay would be dear. Look at the Wolverines as a prime example. Noah Ruden was Montoya's backup for 3 seasons. He played MAYBE 10 times during those 3 seasons. And goaltending stung them when they needed it the most. At UND, if Jordan were to leave or be injured, I don't think the concern would fall to how well Phil will perform because he HAS had all that opportunity to get in the game. Instead, depth becomes an issue and the spotlight turns to Walski playing as a backup. For that reason, I am against UND deeming JPar as the sole #1 goaltender and allotting Phil to bench duty. I understand Hakstol can't have the each goalie go half and half, which is why when the game is on the line, Jordan should be in the net.

SOrry I took your post out of context. It certainly seemed to read differently than you intended to me.

By the way, thanks for quoting that second part. I caught a mistake I made. :D

I dont understand what everyone sees in Lapoint, I have played against and watched him play and I didn't even notice him out there.If someone would not have told me he was signed by UND i would have just thought he was another tall, skiny defensemen.

I dont understand what everyone sees in Lapoint, I have played against and watched him play and I didn't even notice him out there.If someone would not have told me he was signed by UND i would have just thought he was another tall, skiny defensemen.

You stink of jealousy, i havent seen him play, but id say there is a reason why he was being recruited by the top wcha schools. and of course the fact that he will be going second or even...dare i say late first round of the draft.

One Move Wonder, is that really you? :D:0

Evidentally you didn't notice him. But UW, UND, BU, CSS, ISS, and plenty of NHL scouts have.

Trust me, if LaPoint had to choose between you noticing him and the rest noticing him... well, let's just say he could care less if you noticed him or not. :D

And no, the Oilers don't have me on edge siouxnami. I just don't have any hockey coverage at all at my home TV station unless it is FSN. I mean, if you could only watch the Gophers and the Wild without having to leave your home, what would you do?

And no, the Oilers don't have me on edge siouxnami. I just don't have any hockey coverage at all at my home TV station unless it is FSN. I mean, if you could only watch the Gophers and the Wild without having to leave your home, what would you do?

same problem here. we only get FSN at home and only basic cable at college.

Evidentally you didn't notice him. But UW, UND, BU, CSS, ISS, and plenty of NHL scouts have.

Trust me, if LaPoint had to choose between you noticing him and the rest noticing him... well, let's just say he could care less if you noticed him or not. :D

Hockey_9, I'm going to go ahead and agree, despite what those of you who have yet to see him play think. The Sioux could sign a Taiwanese rice farmer, and you guys would still be saying he must be good. Obviously a very good player, the best player at the Chicago Showcase? No way. The best player on Team Wisconsin? I didn't think so. Obviously he could care less if I notice him or not, but I'm not making this a personal issue between him and I. In fact I wish him all the luck in the world, but that still doesnt change the fact that in my mind (and I'm sure anyone elses who watched him play at the Chicago Showcase) he is over rated.

Hockey_9, I'm going to go ahead and agree, despite what those of you who have yet to see him play think. The Sioux could sign a Taiwanese rice farmer, and you guys would still be saying he must be good. Obviously a very good player, the best player at the Chicago Showcase? No way. The best player on Team Wisconsin? I didn't think so. Obviously he could care less if I notice him or not, but I'm not making this a personal issue between him and I. In fact I wish him all the luck in the world, but that still doesnt change the fact that in my mind (and I'm sure anyone elses who watched him play at the Chicago Showcase) he is over rated.

Some of the best programs in college hockey wanted him. There has to be a reason for that. I've never seen him play but he is pretty highly regarded by some great college coaches and pro scouts.

Some of the best programs in college hockey wanted him. There has to be a reason for that. I've never seen him play but he is pretty highly regarded by some great college coaches and pro scouts.

what he did before he came here has no bearing on how he plays here. take Jordy for example. if you would ahve told us when jordan came in that he would be as good as he is, we prolly woulda laughed. as long as LaPoint, and all the other freshmen, come in and do their job, and make an impact, thats all we can ask. as i said on another string....you cant expect everyone to be perfect.

the final rankings for the central scouting service (CSS)

2006 Final CSS Rankings for North American Skaters

note: Jonathan Toews #3, Phil Kessel #5 (so much for the WONDERBOY), Michael Forney #39, Derrick LaPointe #49 Zach Jones #97

I see Michael Forney was selected 53rd overall by Indiana Ice of the USHL today in their draft.....Is he not coming to UND in the fall of 06???

Sometimes the scouts do make mistakes. My son played against Wheeler several years back and was shocked to see the hype and selection he got. And low and behold he really is just a big pylon.

Suicide :D:0 Can you get center ice? That was a great investment this year, I just hope they offer it in HD soon.

I see Michael Forney was selected 53rd overall by Indiana Ice of the USHL today in their draft.....Is he not coming to UND in the fall of 06???

He would have been the #1 pick, if they thought he would play... that is a shot in the dark. They are just hoping. Actually it probably is a smart mid-round draft pick.

I was talking to a hockey parent from Thief River Falls last night and he was concerned about Forney coming to UND this year. He felt that Forney is not ready for that level of play and needs to go to the USHL for a year to mainly toughen up. In his opinion Forney is hurt often and also plays soft. He felt going to the USHL would make him step up the physical part of his game if he doesn't get hurt again.

Not knowing much about Forney except that he was a finalist for Mr. Hockey in Minnesota but also knowing he had a shoulder injury at State and also hurt his ankle/leg since then, I'm not sure how to take this.

Any thoughts on this?

Naturally I always love to see a kid play a year of juniors after high school in order to assist in the transition. After Oshie I trust the coaches will make the correct decision. I would guess that the decision hangs on 1. how many forwards do we lose early this year and 2. is Forney physically healed and ready to play D1 hockey.

If Forney isn't going to be a 4 year guy anyway, we might as well wring out anything we can get from him. 3 years at UND is probably better than 1 year of juniors and 2 years at UND.

Hmmm... There is a possibility that LaPoint is overrated, just like Wheeler. But, like I said, if Hakstol and Crew are high on him, 4 major programs (being Not schools like RMU, QU, AIC, and Bentley) are high on him, and two seperate scouting services are high on him, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I expect him to be decent. I expect not to hear his name much either. I never heard LaPoint as an offensive defenseman, so I'm not going to look at the score sheet too much on him.

As for placement in the USHL draft, I believe that it all has to do with likelihood that the player will come to play for that team. Aaron Marvin and Michael Forney were taken in the late rounds because it isn't all that likely that they'll be suiting up in the USHL. LaPoint went 6th overall because the coaches like his chances of suiting up.

No one wants to be the team that drafted a guy with their first pick overall only to have him walk away. Just ask the GM of the Tri City Americans about Toews.

In an unrelated note: One of the reasons Toews came to UND was because of the location to the school. Last year, the Brandon (Manitoba) Wheat Kings of the WHL drafted his brother in the 5th round. This is both good and bad news. Good because the later in the rounds a WHL or Major Junior team drafts you, the less likely they think you are to signing on with them. The bad news is that Brandon is just as close to Winipeg as Grand Forks is, if not closer.

Don't forget that UND has Brad Berry. He makes the D-men NHL ready. Greene, Smaby, and now Forney were all big, but pretty raw when they got here.

Have we heard anything on Aaron Marvin? To piggy back on the what Stack was saying, I've heard from various people that Aaron Marvin doesn't seem to be ready.

I think you meant Finley when you said Forney? Also, Aaron Marvin is only a junior, so he still has his high school senior year left, and he hasn't committed here yet. Do you mean somebody else?

I think you meant Finley when you said Forney? Also, Aaron Marvin is only a junior, so he still has his high school senior year left, and he hasn't committed here yet. Do you mean somebody else?

D'oh! I'm an idiot on all accounts. Got my player wrong on D and was thinking that Marvin was a senior. Hard not to think that with as often as he gets mentioned on here.