SiouxSports.com Forum

Pandora's Box

PCM

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did and I still dont see why the taxpayers of this state would be interested in getting into a legal fee battle with the NCAA.

The Forum poll showed that there is strong support statewide for UND to keep the Fighting Sioux nickname. Does this mean that taxpayers will support state funds being used in a lawsuit against the NCAA? Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows?

If the State Board of Higher Education returns to Kupchella the authority to make the decision on whether UND's nickname stays or goes, then it's UND vs. the NCAA. There would be no reason for state involvement.

However, if the SBoHE continues to mandate that UND keep the name, then the NCAA is punishing UND and its athletes for a state government decision over which the university has no control. The state might want to ask a court if it's fair for the NCAA to punish UND for a state government decision. The state might want to ask a court if the NCAA has any business trying to dictate policy to a state insitution, especially when the NCAA's own constitution prohibits it from doing so.

I'm not saying that any of this will happen. I'm simply speculating on possible scenarios. The lawyers and political leaders will ultimately decide whether it's worth the time and the money.

However, if the SBoHE continues to mandate that UND keep the name, then the NCAA is punishing UND and its athletes for a state government decision over which the university has no control.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From information posted previously, it sounds as if the SBoHE is removing itself from the 'controversy'. I don't believe they will issue a new statement that will 'mandate that UND keep the name'. But if they do not reverse their previous resolution that UND keep the Sioux name and logo, the use of the Sioux name and logo is still a 'state government decision over which the university has no control'. If it comes down to a court battle, this will still be beneficial to UND and it's fight for the right to continue to use the Sioux name and logo.

From information posted previously, it sounds as if the SBoHE is removing itself from the 'controversy'. 

But we don't know that yet. Was the SBoHE chair expressing the opinion of the majority of board members or her own opinon? Hard to say.

I think you're right on the first part...I also think that the board will view the previous decision as a situational one--i.e., in the face of perhaps loosing the REA--and will view continued use of the logo as an institutional decision.  That, IMO, will make it not a state issue, even with the past ruling....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm merely addressing the issue as it stands right now. Could it change? Certainly.

Anyone else notice "model university" Wisconsin playing football at Chapel Hill over the weekend?

Yes, the University of (we won't play the Bradley Braves) Wisconsin was playing the University of North Carolina Tar Heels.

What's a Tar Heel?

The University not only uses the nickname "Tar Heels," but the entire state does as well. One version of the nickname's origin has the name first being applied to North Carolinians during the Civil War. One record talks of a battle in Virginia, where their supporting column retreated, but North Carolina troops fought alone. The victorious troops were asked in a condescending tone by some Virginians, who had retreated, "Any more tar down in the Old North State, boys?" The response came quickly: "No, not a bit; old Jeff's bought it all up." The Virginians asked: "Is that so? What is he going to do with it?" The reply: "He is going to put it on you'ns heels to make you stick better in the next fight."

A Tar Heel is someone who fought pro-slavery (!) in the Civil War.

Wisconsin: Anti-Indian, pro-slavery.

I'm bored.

I want GrahamKracker and his infinite words of wisdom to come back.

Is it hockey season yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We could exchange GrahamKracker recipes but since that would entail an integration of ingredients, GK will probably slam us if we do. We know he likes things pure, 100% or he'll call them names.

Anyone else notice "model university" Wisconsin playing football at Chapel Hill over the weekend?

Yes, the University of (we won't play the Bradley Braves) Wisconsin was playing the University of North Carolina Tar Heels.

What's a Tar Heel?

A Tar Heel is someone who fought pro-slavery (!) in the Civil War.

Wisconsin: Anti-Indian, pro-slavery.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This just proves that the NCAA is a paper tiger. Talking out of both sides of its mouth. I hope all of these schools fight the NCAA in court.

You miss him now, but just wait until the NCAA rejects the appeal. He'll be back. This time gloating and stating how the NCAA has finally put the people of the nation in its best interests blah blah blah.

Then, like the types of people GK is, he'll try to start up a thread or two to suggest names that would be good replacements.

You just wait.

If the NCAA approves the appeal (unlikely), then it's a crapshoot whether or not he'll return. If he does, he'll whine about how the NCAA is once again in the pockets of the Universities (not true or else they never would have adopted this stupid resolution in the first place) and that the indiginous peoples are once again going to be exploited (which IMO is the real reason they are anti-name. They don't get any $$$ out of the deal) for the rest of time. Feed us sob stories and curse us all. :huh: Or he could disappear. Who knows.

I know that I'd rather put this issue to rest either way.

Stupid NCAA. MAKE YOUR RULING!!!!

fyi...they (the NCAA) is "still waiting" for a "response" from the tribes involved...Chuck is traveling to Spirit Lake Tuesday to make a pitch....best of luck!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The anti-namers have been getting in Spirit Lake's ear every opportunity that they get. Obviously CK and those in charge realize that having Spirit Lake's support is very important. I wonder if UND has been doing any "campaigning" of it's own? UND has received letters/calls/e-mails of support for the name, some of which are from Native Americans. UND should be encouraging these people to also show their support to their tribal leaders. Or asking Native American alumni who support the name to speak on UND's behalf. Also, I would think that UND would have Bennett Brien helping with the support. It would even be nice to see him accompany Charles on tuesday to discuss the issue and explain how much thought, consideration, and pride went into designing the new logo. I would think that would make a big impression.