SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

I think your office was the one I nearly dropped the air conditioner out of. That would've been cool to see it splatter all over the ground. :lol:

Please don't tell me that you were the student of ten thousand piercings who put my air conditioner in couple of summers ago. :ohmy::lol:

Please don't tell me that you were the student of ten thousand piercings who put my air conditioner in couple of summers ago. :lol::lol:

............. :ohmy:

No, I wasn't. :huh: I did get in an argument with the Med School Dean because he's a moron though. He told me where he wanted the air conditioner, I repeated it back and he'd say "No no my friend." and then say the same thing again only to have me repeat it and he again tells me no. What an idiot. :lol:

............. :ohmy:

No, I wasn't. :huh: I did get in an argument with the Med School Dean because he's a moron though. He told me where he wanted the air conditioner, I repeated it back and he'd say "No no my friend." and then say the same thing again only to have me repeat it and he again tells me no. What an idiot. :lol:

We know that you think you understood what you thought he said, but we're not sure you realize that what you heard is not what he meant.

Psychologist Stephanie Fryberg of the University of Arizona has studied the impact of American Indian sports mascots on American Indian students as well as European American students. Her research shows the negative effect of such mascots on the self-esteem of American Indian students.

From Pantagraph.com:

Blaming wrong people for penalizing athletes

The very supporters (Illinois AD) Guenther thinks may be penalizing student-athletes include many donors who have been giving money to the university for years to provide scholarships to those student-athletes. They are the ones who have financed hundreds, if not thousands, of athletes through school and put food in their mouths - including Guenther's.

How many of the protesting faculty members have provided students with the financial wherewithal for a college education? They have done nothing but stir up problems by calling the Chief a racist mascot. It is their opinion and they are entitled to it. But their saying the Chief is a racist mascot does not make it so.

The last I heard, it had not even been peer reviewed.

Earlier on, when this "study" came to light, I passed what I was able to locate of Fryberg's "thesis" to an acquaintance who teaches at Vanderbilt, and really has no stand on name/logo issues as far as I know. Her assessment was that it's "an essay written by somebody with serious emotional issues". :lol::lol:

Here's some more info.

Linky

Apparently, Fryberg's "thesis" is getting some play, even if it has never been reviewed in accordance with standard testing methodology.

Apparently, Fryberg's "thesis" is getting some play, even if it has never been reviewed in accordance with standard testing methodology.

Actually none of us should be shocked that this article hasn't been through the review process. When ever research fits an agenda why would they put it through the review process. They might find out that the research is flawed and tainted. I would imagine in this case this is probably true.

Actually none of us should be shocked that this article hasn't been through the review process. When ever research fits an agenda why would they put it through the review process. They might find out that the research is flawed and tainted. I would imagine in this case this is probably true.

I seem to remember this research being discussed last year on this forum and what Goon has stated about her 'research' being flawed and tainted was discussed. Didn't this also get mentioned in one of Dr. Kupchella's letter's to the NC$$? I think (but of course can't find it now) that very thing about her 'research' being biased and, therefore, flawed was documented in a research journal.

Funny you should mention UL-M, PCM. Check out some of their new logos and wordmarks. Looks like it has all the requirements for politically-correct watered-down meaningless symbol, although with recent events in the world, I'm not sure having 'war' in the nickname is in good taste.

warhawk.jpg

warhawk3.jpg

warhawk4.jpg

warhawk2.jpg

'MafiaMan' date='Jul 11 2006, 09:08 AM' post='174674']Funny you should mention UL-M, PCM. Check out some of their new logos and wordmarks. Looks like it has all the requirements for politically-correct watered-down meaningless symbol, although with recent events in the world, I'm not sure having 'war' in the nickname is in good taste.

warhawk.jpgWAIT JUST ONE MINUTE!!!! Are those 'hostile or abusive' feathers on that bird?!!

I believe they are! I hope they haven't spent too much money on uniforms, paint, brochures, etc. 'cause ain't NO WAY the NC$$ can over look feathers!!

I was more concerned with the lightning bolt myself. I think the 'warhawk' should be holding an olive branch.

True and the name should be Peacedoves. Color him white, round out the eyes, beak and claws, whalla, a NC$$, PC name and logo!!!! :D

This one here looks an awful lot like the "Screaming Eagle" mascot for the University of Minnesota Crookston. Maybe they'll be the next to be told they have to undergo an NCAA "face lift." :D

warhawk4.jpg

Not even close! The "screaming eagle" practically has a smile on his face. It's not a true template-tastic logo unless the bird is angry.

Not even close! The "screaming eagle" practically has a smile on his face. It's not a true template-tastic logo unless the bird is angry.

Can someone help me out and send me a link to where I can find out what the logo means, represents. I know each feather means something and I need to cite my work for my paper I am writing reagrding UND keeping the name. I just cna not find it right now. Thanks to all who help. Go Sioux and SIOUX forever!

Can someone help me out and send me a link to where I can find out what the logo means, represents. I know each feather means something and I need to cite my work for my paper I am writing reagrding UND keeping the name. I just cna not find it right now. Thanks to all who help. Go Sioux and SIOUX forever!

Here's a link for ya! :D

http://www.universityrelations.UND.edu/log...rtist_logo.html