SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

As well as Teeder was at the Senate I am a student on that senate (with voting rights) and was there so if you have any other questions I'll try to answer them the best that i can. I will say though that the students who are voting members on the senate voted with a very large no as the Herald stated in its article.

As well as Teeder was at the Senate I am a student on that senate (with voting rights) and was there so if you have any other questions I'll try to answer them the best that i can. I will say though that the students who are voting members on the senate voted with a very large no as the Herald stated in its article.

Thank you, bigsioux21. This issue is bigger than just a nickname. We appreciate the student senators fighting the good fight. Keep it up.

The usual anti-name and logo suspects were there sitting in the peanut gallery: Liegh Jeanotte, Lucy Ganje, Jim Grijalva, Doug McDonald, Donna Brown etc.

I assume most of the Sociology depatment was there as well. ???

UMary to change nickname? link.

"Marauders were pirates and they weren't nice to women, and things like that, but we've softened the mascot,"Bortke said. "We've taken the knife out of his mouth, and we're going with just the pirate head."

???

I graduated from a Catholic HS and the toughest person, man or woman, I have ever know was Sister Louis. I came from a public school environment and considered myself a pretty tough cookie but she scared the hell out of me. Maybe the UofMary could use her picture as their logo and the school song could be Louie, Louie>> "Ok, lets give it to 'em, right now"

???

From ESPN.com:

NCAA rule forces Chowan to drop Braves mascot

Chowan College will drop its Native American nickname and mascot to comply with an NCAA ruling that bans "hostile or abusive" imagery.

Chowan, which uses the nickname Braves, said Thursday it would cost the school too much time and money to fight "a battle that could not be won."

They are not worthy. :bigsmile:

From ESPN.com:

Arkansas St. holding off on appeal over nickname ban

If Arkansas State University decides to appeal the NCAA's ban on the nickname Indians, it will do so after Feb. 1, when the prohibition takes effect.

The NCAA announced in August it would bar the use of American Indian imagery and nicknames at postseason tournaments. The rule -- which includes football bowl games -- will be implemented starting next month.

Don't you just love the confusion the NCAA creates by how it operates? When it turns down or grants an appeal, it lets the whole world know. But when it retreats from its position and grants all schools on its list an exemption until April 27, it doesn't tell anyone. Thus, we get these confusing stories.

Arkansas State officials held a video conference with NCAA representatives in November.

"What we realized in that discussion was that it would not do us any good to submit an appeal on any basis to the committee because we thought they would automatically say no to us," Wyatt said. "We also learned one other thing in that conference, and that is this committee would go out of business essentially on the first of February, which is the deadline for appeal to that committee.

"Beyond that time, beyond that date of Feb. 1 and any date in the future, it will be possible to address and appeal to the executive committee of the NCAA."

From the Grand Forks Herald:

Feb. 3, 2006

UND: Kupchella: Nickname fight must continue

University president responds to faculty resolution calling for monikers' end

UND President Charles Kupchella told faculty leaders Thursday night that he's not about to begin shedding the school's nickname and logo - not after all that's been done in recent months to fight for it.

Kupchella responded to a resolution passed by the University Senate last month that said the use of the "Fighting Sioux" nickname and logo interfere with the school's academic mission, and that a national accrediting

Kupchella said UND already has met with the leaders of two North Dakota Indian tribes in an attempt for each to gain a better understanding of issues of mutual interest, including the nickname.

Kupchella said tribal support, especially from namesake tribes, has been a key factor for the NCAA in allowing other schools to retain their nicknames unimpeded.

He said that leaders from the Spirit Lake Nation, the closest Sioux tribe to UND, told him during a recent visit that they intend to stick by a tribal resolution approved in 2000 that conditionally supports the nickname and logo, as long as some good comes of it.

Feb. 3, 2006

Brand says NCAA won't back down on American Indian mascots

NCAA president Myles Brand said the ban of American Indian mascots and images in postseason competition will remain firm despite resistance from schools that would be affected.

Brand said part of the NCAA's mission is to protect values.

"One of the values we hold dear is respect for everyone," Brand said Thursday. "Some of the mascots, names, costumes and other acting out about Native Americans is very hostile and uncomfortable - mostly for Native Americans but others as well."

Feb. 2, 2006

VIEWPOINT : Try this nickname, Mr. Will: Fool

From the last batch of angry emails I got for my last column on mascots, it was clear that there still are people out there who believe that Vikings still roam the coasts of Europe. It's not true, folks. The Vikings (a race of people) evolved into the people of Scandinavia and vanished from the planet as horned marauders who pillaged, burned and raped their way across the coastal settlements of the Old World. They are figments of history.

As for the Fighting Irish, another name often thrown at me when I write about mascots, their acceptance or disavowal will have to come from the Irish people of America, and that will happen only when their fans use demeaning and derogatory imitations of Irishmen.

A recent column by the elitist, George Will, exhorts the "silliness over mascots" with the same lame arguments so familiar to the majority of Native Americans opposed to their use.

Story this morning by hack David Ramsey in the Colorado Springs Rag about how the Fighting Sioux nickname insults. Web site is www.gazette.com but I couldn't find the article in their on-line addition.

Here is a small sampling:

"North Dakota should dump it's Fighting Sioux nickname. . . .That way we might be spared the sight of green sweatshirts decorated with the insulting depictions of Native Americans, and the North Dakota fans who cling to old-time, clueless ways by wearing those sweatshirts."

Ramsey goes on to dismiss all the programs the University has for American Indians but continues to argue that the logo "diminishes everyone".

I am going to honor little Davey's request and wear my white jersey tonight instead of the green. It is the least I can do.

Go Sioux.

So, who gets to pick the value set the NCAA protects? The Ayatollah Myles Brand?

My most protected value is the First Amendment to the Constitution. How ya like me now, Komrad "Catalyst for Social Change"?

PS - Ayatollah Brand gave that speech yesterday in .... Omaha! ;) ;)

From the above Herald link:

Bruce Smith, dean of UND aerospace, was one of the few faculty who voted against the resolution. He said he doesn't put much stock in the accrediting body's assessment of impacts caused by the nickname and logo.

He said that the accrediting commission can be lobbied and influenced by people who feel a certain way.

Smith said, "sometimes we use it in a way to get back at our administration" on salary and other issues important to faculty.

He said that, when the commission finally got around to meeting with him, they didn't want to hear about the nickname and logo.

"They told me they had already heard enough," Smith said.

" ... they had already heard enough"? Is that how academic inquiry is supposed to work? They'd heard what they'd wanted to hear and that was "enough"?

Mike Nowacki, a student who sits on the Senate, said that the commission didn't ask for feedback from students either. He said that the nickname and logo hasn't been a huge distraction for him and his pursuit of education at UND.

"The primary place that we see it interfering with our learning is in a setting like this, where staff and faculty are talking about it."

This quote makes me feel like I'm watching an episode of "South Park" with Mike Nowacki starring as "Kyle".

Story this morning by hack David Ramsey in the Colorado Springs Rag about how the Fighting Sioux nickname insults. Web site is www.gazette.com but I couldn't find the article in their on-line addition.

Here is a small sampling:

"North Dakota should dump it's Fighting Sioux nickname. . . .That way we might be spared the sight of green sweetshirts decorated with the insulting depictions of Native Americans, and the North Dakota fans who cling to old-time, clueless ways by wearing those sweetshirts."

Ramsey goes on to dismiss all the programs the University has for American Indians but continues to argue that the logo "dimishes everyone".

I am going to honor little Davey's request and wear my white jersey tonight instead of the green. It is the least I can do.

Go Sioux.

Apparently UND also wanted to honor his request as the team is wearing their BLACK jerseys tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

Not really related to the name/logo issue, but a shining example of how the NC$$ gives bigger, "name" schools a pass, while meting out punishment to smaller schools.

Linky

"The NCAA has no interest in protecting," the small schools, said Linda Bensel-Meyers, a member of the Drake Group, a watchdog organization of educators and athletic administrators. "They are going to protect those who are high revenue, high visibility programs. And they are going to scapegoat the small programs in order to protect themselves."

Along those lines, concerns were raised over the relatively high number of historically black colleges that received penalties.