SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

So, Governor, where was all of this political support 1-2 years ago? :lol::huh:

That is a good question. Ohhhhh, I know, Conrad was trying to get elected and didn't want to offend any possible voters.

This is the same Liberal Democrat that was trying to run as a center of the road moderate. yeeeaaahhhhhh.

That is a good question. Ohhhhh, I know, Conrad was trying to get elected and didn't want to offend any possible voters.

This is the same Liberal Democrat that was trying to run as a center of the road moderate. yeeeaaahhhhhh.

Well, he did support something like 85% of Bush's judicial nominees, right? Doesn't that make him 'moderate'? :huh:

UND NICKNAME: Alum studies logo's effects

I am surprised that NO one brought this one up. There is one major flaw in this article, this person wasn't some un biased researcher.

A UND hockey fan who said he didn't pay much attention to the controversy over UND's Fighting Sioux nickname when he attended the university in the late '90s recently published a research study on the nickname's effect on UND's American Indian students.

Dana Williams is a University of Akron researcher who plans to defend his Ph.D. this spring. Late in his UND career, Williams said, he became friends with several American Indian students and became more interested in the nickname's effect.

Williams, whose undergraduate degree was in computer science, began studying sociology in graduate school, and his interests naturally led him to American Indian sports nicknames.

Williams' article, published in this month's Sociology of Sports Journal, is based on a 2000 survey funded by the UND Nickname Commission, charged by President Charles Kupchella with investigating possibilities for the nickname's future.

This is the same Dana Williams, you know this one Dana M Williams or this one This one...

No kidding. Mr. Williams sounds like a real objective researcher. :lol:

Good catch, Goon.

I couldn't believe that this went under the radar, The herald should be ashamed of its self for trying to push this off as objective research. As a person that has a MA in Sociology I know that you can take any survey and skew the results in any way that you want. I would like to see this research project. I would love to see methodology, conclusions on this project, of course this project won't get the anything more than the kids glove treatment. This person is trying to push themselves off as being objective, when in fact they are an activist.

Back in the days I spent a lot of time researching the nick name issue before I got feed up with all the P.C. crap. Dana is a blast from the past. This is also Pre-REA or right around the time the arena was being announced and built.

This tells me a great deal about Williams:

Dana Williams

I once stood in the midst of a press conference at the largest university in the state of North Dakota, and watched the brand new president, Charles Kupchella, as he unveiled a "new" logo for the school's sports teams. The logo was a leap back into the past of the school's history in using a racial mascot, "The Fighting Sioux". The logo looked quite a bit like one that was removed a few years ago due to racial incidents on campus. As I watched this, I listened to his response to a question regarding the artist's ethnicity (who was Chippewa-- not Sioux), by saying, "I don't know his pedigree". It was at that moment, when a gasp rose from my lips and many other students who were in attendance. In amazement I realized for the first time how strongly biased the attitudes towards Native Americans were in this state, maybe even the worst against any ethnic group in the country.

I remember when that happened. There was a great outcry that Kupchella had used a dog reference when talking about Native Americans. All this incident did was demonstrate the ignorance and hyper-sensitive nature of some who oppose the Fighting Sioux nickname.

People who engage in geneological research (such as my wife) know that "pedigree" is a very common term used to describe a person's ancestry. Kupchella used the term correctly and in its proper context. And yet, Williams and his cohorts were outraged. The fact that Williams wrote an entire essay based on the proper use of a word by someone who wasn't a native North Dakotan and who had been in the state for a year as evidence of "North Dakota-style racism" shows just how far off the deep end he is.

Apparently Mr. Marks of the Heraldo didn't do his homework.

Have they ever? Everyone should cancle their subscriptions to the herald and be sure to let them know why. It is getting sickening reading all of their biased "news" articles. Leave that for the editorial pages.

I love Grand Forks. It's just disappointing to me that it has this as the daily news paper.

Have they ever? Everyone should cancle their subscriptions to the herald and be sure to let them know why. It is getting sickening reading all of their biased "news" articles. Leave that for the editorial pages.

I love Grand Forks. It's just disappointing to me that it has this as the daily news paper.

I actually read the GF Herald for the local sports and the fact that my wife likes to get the local rag.

Even the opinion page is starting to look like the Red Star and sickle.

I dropped the Herald after they refused to let the Nickname debate die in or around 2000-2001. People were done talking about it and they still chose to put articles front and center.

I do feel bad for the young lady that called me to ask why I cancelled my subscription.....I was brutally honest about it.

I dropped the Herald after they refused to let the Nickname debate die in or around 2000-2001. People were done talking about it and they still chose to put articles front and center.

I do feel bad for the young lady that called me to ask why I cancelled my subscription.....I was brutally honest about it.

I had tried to drop the paper a few times but my wife wanted to keep it, I guess in the grand scheme of things $14.25 isn't a lot of money. I got sick and tired of paper boy walking across my yard. So I called the customer Service line, which isn't even in grand forks, and I said, "look my yard looks bad enough without somebody walking across it everyday."

I wonder if the background of Williams will be part of a future story in the Herald. :cool:

Here's some more crap from above the fold on the front page of today's Forum: article one & article two. Dalrymple continues to amaze and restate and rehash any story she's ever written about the topic. How many times can the same things be said? We get it, Amy, you don't like the nickname. :lol:

Seriously, an article about a rumor that anyone sane knew was a rumor makes the front page of the largest paper in the state. :D

Seriously, an article about a rumor that anyone sane knew was a rumor makes the front page of the largest paper in the state. :cool:

Kupchella and Harmeson have said numerous time in public that there are no strings attached to the Ralph and the Fighting Sioux nickname. Unfortunately, people seem to prefer rumors to the truth.

Anyone who wants to know why the rumors stay alive should take the paid tour of Engelstad Arena. When I took a couple of my relatives on it during the summer, the tour guide strongly implied that there might be something to the rumors about the arena being locked up or imploded if UND changed the name. So if the Ralph would like the rumors to go away, it could start by educating its own tour guides.

And it's great the Dana Williams is once again trotted out as some sort of objective researcher on the Fighting Sioux nickname issue. Not only is he extremely biased on the issue, it's mind-boggling that the Herald and Forum consider his recycling of seven-year-old data newsworthy.

And it's great the Dana Williams is once again trotted out as some sort of objective researcher on the Fighting Sioux nickname issue. Not only is he extremely biased on the issue, it's mind-boggling that the Herald and Forum consider his recycling of seven-year-old data newsworthy.

I am waiting for Lil Johnny Hoff to be wheeled out again. :D:lol::cool:

I find it most ironic that anyone who opposes keeping the Sioux name is labeled "extremely biased", but it's implied that nickname supporters are somehow regarded as open minded.

For there to be irony you'd need to show me a pro-moniker person presenting research results as "unbiased".

Dana Williams did an excellent job of spelling out the issues in his "Pedigree" article.

Forgive me for not respecting the work of an "academic" that doesn't know the word pedigree refers to a person's geneology or lineage (even though it is most commenly used in the realm of the American Kennel Club).

I find it most ironic that anyone who opposes keeping the Sioux name is labeled "extremely biased", but it's implied that nickname supporters are somehow regarded as open minded.

No, that's not it at all. Williams' research is being presented in the news as if it's something new and different conducted by a man of science. There is nothing new about it, and Williams ability to conduct objective scientific research is clearly clouded by his personal involvement in the issue.

Dana Williams did an excellent job of spelling out the issues in his "Pedigree" article.

Obviously, you don't mind having your intelligence insulted. I do.