SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Exactly. For some it's easier to point out the zit on someone else and ignore the big wart on their own face.

Oh, but they're fixing all of this by changing the nicknames of NCAA member schools. That's the twisted logic. The bad sports nicknames are, in part, causing this. When they're changed, everything will be just fine and all of this will go away. Anyone moderately familiar with tribal politics knows that graft and corruption usually are present.

Oh, but they're fixing all of this by changing the nicknames of NCAA member schools. That's the twisted logic. The bad sports nicknames are, in part, causing this. When they're changed, everything will be just fine and all of this will go away. Anyone moderately familiar with tribal politics knows that graft and corruption usually are present.

If changing the nicknames takes some of the tax burden off my back because now some NAs are going to feel more empowered and less abused and then decide to take more responsibility for their own lives ...great! :silly: But at 5'8", white and 39 years old, I think I have better odds of playing in the NBA than that happening because the Sioux nickname is dropped!

If changing the nicknames takes some of the tax burden off my back because now some NAs are going to feel more empowered and less abused and then decide to take more responsibility for their own lives ...great! :silly: But at 5'8", white and 39 years old, I think I have better odds of playing in the NBA than that happening because the Sioux nickname is dropped!

Nice recovery late in your post.

The instant the NAs lose their victim status (in other words, feel more empowered) they'll lose all this momentum they've garnered. They won't be able to maintain all the sympathy that gets them a lot of what they get.

There could even be negative shifts. If the NAs are seen as equals by both sides, then their lopsided financial status (more NA only scholarships than there are for any other ethnicity at UND at least) may be seen as detrimental and cut back.

No, the victim card is here to stay. Suggesting otherwise would be like asking Jesse Jackson to put down the race card. Not going to happen.

I guess the NCAA was out in front on this issue. Apparently, about 100 college presidents are at least giving some indication that they're open to the idea of making the drinking age 18 rather than 21.
:silly:

The instant the NAs lose their victim status (in other words, feel more empowered) they'll lose all this momentum they've garnered. They won't be able to maintain all the sympathy that gets them a lot of what they get.

Exactly. Why lay down a winning hand? The guilt trip-thing has been a terrific boon to them. IMHO if they make you lose the nickname, then suddenly their problems will all be caused by how long it took you to eliminate "racism" on your campus.

Edit
: my use of the word "them" might have been a little overreaching. While some minorities will claim victim status for as long as it pays off, there are many, many others who will not just go along with the knee-jerk reaction by blaming
everything
that's wrong in their lives on society's ills and perceived slights.

Nice recovery late in your post.

The instant the NAs lose their victim status (in other words, feel more empowered) they'll lose all this momentum they've garnered. They won't be able to maintain all the sympathy that gets them a lot of what they get. There could even be negative shifts. If the NAs are seen as equals by both sides, then their lopsided financial status (more NA only scholarships than there are for any other ethnicity at UND at least) may be seen as detrimental and cut back.

No, the victim card is here to stay. Suggesting otherwise would be like asking Jesse Jackson to put down the race card. Not going to happen.

Which is why for generation after generation there has been nothing but unaccountabilty and dysfunction on the reservations of this state and thru out the nation. Why change when that cash pipeline keep the dollars flowing?

Chief- A good point. The use of the word "them" may not have been altogether fair.

Oxbow- There is no worse concept for the race card or victim card mentality than self-accountability. Failure of the majority ( in this assumed word, the whites), is seen as an opportunity to point out the flaws of the majority. Failure of the minority is not seen as caused by some fatal mistake on the part of the minority. It is seen as a byproduct of oppression and racism by the whites.

Some rationalize it by saying "What would you think if you were in our shoes?" I can honestly can't say. I wasn't raised to pass blame every time things get rough for me. As a Jew, it would be easy for me to blame the world's ignorance and anti-semitic tendencies for the Holocaust. It would be easy to point at the fact that I still haven't been hired for that $100,000+ annual salaried job yet because companies couldn't handle yet another Jew in a high power position. I was taught is that what I make of life is my own doing. It is true that external forces can mold or direct the path I take, but the path I walk is still my own. If there is a blockage of the pathway, it is up to me to find my way around the blockage. I cannot throw up my hands and start pointing fingers. Passing the buck is out of the question.

Not all minorities play the "woe is me" weakness perspective. I have found many Asian Americans are also this empowered. They come to the United States with the perspective expecting the deck stacked against them. Whether or not it actually is stacked against them is irrelevant because they simply blow the whole deal out of the water. Sure, that is a generalization, but when's the last time you've seen an Asian American on TV or in a media outlet complaining about the rotten past they've had in the United States? Remember, Chinese people were treated worse than African Americans in the past (look at the railroad construction era). Where are they? Why aren't they pointing at us and calling for our endless guilt and reparations?

These NA and other minority activists personally make me sick to my stomach. They do as much harm to their cause as they do good. As racist as this sounds, I sometimes feel superior to these people as I've learned to overcome rather than dwell in a past that is long past.

Chief- A good point. The use of the word "them" may not have been altogether fair.

Oxbow- There is no worse concept for the race card or victim card mentality than self-accountability. Failure of the majority ( in this assumed word, the whites), is seen as an opportunity to point out the flaws of the majority. Failure of the minority is not seen as caused by some fatal mistake on the part of the minority. It is seen as a byproduct of oppression and racism by the whites.

These NA and other minority activists personally make me sick to my stomach. They do as much harm to their cause as they do good. As racist as this sounds, I sometimes feel superior to these people as I've learned to overcome rather than dwell in a past that is long past.

Good points!

Go for the gold, Indian country!
" Indian mascots no more. In addition to the challenging the underrepresentation in collegiate athletics, tribes are poised to successfully end the exploitation of Indian symbols as sports mascots. The NCAA has banned the University of South Dakota's use of the Fighting Sioux nickname and mascot, with the support of the neighboring Standing Rock and the Sisseton-Wahpeton Sioux Tribes - but not without a fight from the university.
What passes for journalism. :silly:

Tribes can pass sports regulations and establish athletic commissions to regulate, e.g., boxing, mixed martial arts, rodeo and action sports, on the reservation.

....thus, effectively limiting participation to tribal members only because different tribes always 'play well' with others'. :silly: I can see it all clearly.... Each tribe will have their own regulations; no one but the 'home' tribe will have a chance to succeed at any sport played on 'foreign land' because they won't know the home court rules! Good luck making money with this 'great idea'.

Go for the Gold, Indian Country

First of all, it was written by two lawyers. Frightening, yet not surprising. :silly: Next: I wonder how much legal work these two do outside of nuisance lawsuits/shakedowns and suing various units of government? ???

Wow, the insanity of this one stands out:

Native people must address the dramatic shortcoming in the recruitment of American Indian athletes. Federal Title IX-esque civil rights advocacy - and perhaps litigation - will ensure that tribal athletes get equal opportunity to play collegiate sports and make their way towards the pros.

Can you even point out a single instance where a college passed on someone because of their race? Please. These universities are trying to make money. Passing on someone only to see him go to your biggest rival and beat your brains in for four years because of his origin? C'mon. Let me know the first time you see that happening. And its not surprising that LITIGATION is mentioned as a remedy (for a non-existent problem) in an article written by lawyers.

A good piece of advice: make sure you understand a business before you bid on it:

Owning sports franchises - and better yet, situating them on reservations - not only generates jobs and revenues, but inspires tribal communities.
Care must be given
, however, when negotiating with the franchise sellers, as well as the professional sports league that regulates the team,
to ensure the tribe is making a good business decision
when embarking upon franchise ownership.

(emphasis added: and shouldn't it be "care must be taken"?) Yes, thanks for that nugget. Nobody would have thought of it unless you mentioned it. :huh:

Another one from the article:

" Tribal sports law and athletic commissions. Tribes have the inherent right to make their own laws and be ruled by them. Indian gaming has affirmed that tribes can make their own commercial laws and regulate lucrative activities on tribal lands. Tribal governments should now parlay tribal gaming systems into tribal sports infrastructure.
Tribes can pass sports regulations and establish athletic commissions to regulate, e.g., boxing, mixed martial arts
, rodeo and action sports, on the reservation. As with gaming, tribal sports commissions can license and supervise the athletes, coaches and promoters to ensure that reservation sports activities are conducted safely and honestly.

(emphasis added) Now some people would think that each state's boxing commission had adequately regulated boxing, etc. and the only reason someone would want to change those regs would be to loosen them. But at the end, they do go right ahead and mention safety. So obviously a tribal boxing promoter wouldn't have any less of a "safe" bout than someone in New York City. Phew.

Alcohol-related deaths claim 12% of AIs. I'm sure once the Sioux name/logo go away, that percentage will go to zero. ???

Linky

Was thinking the same thing. :lol: Going to unload my stock the Pabst Brewing Co. (which makes Blatz Beer) prior to the name change!

Is MLB next?? Alot of them don't speak good English. They speak Spanish, Japaneese, etc.

Hmm, the LPGA is making English a requirement to play because they're kicking American speaking players' asses. I'm guessing the MLB may require English as a prerequisit to play if those damn furineers quit playing well! ???

and Se Ri Pak, Hee-Won Han, Mi Hyun Kim...

Not to mention the # 1 golfer on the tour today, Lorena Ochoa (who spoke out on the issue recently).

Its JMHO, but the LPGA isn't dumb-and they're in business to make money. If they weren't hearing from sponsors, people who patronize the pro-ams, etc. then they wouldn't have started down this path. Apparently a lot of people were shying away from events where they couldn't interact with the golfers. IMHO, if you went to say, China and wanted to start a one-on-one advertising campaign, you'd really need someone who could speak the language. This is no different as far as I'm concerned.