SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

I totally agree. However, it's neither a "news story" nor is it "journalism." The letter in question is one man's twisted opinion on an extremely controversial issue. Letters-to-the editor, editorials and other content on the Op/Ed pages are not to be considered "news stories," the same as advertisements are not. The Herald may censor things from its news pages or Op/Ed pages, but I think most on this message board would agree, that we should not be advocating for censorship of any kind. Not even if it's trash and drivel that we whole-heartedly agree with. For as much as I read on here the mantras denouncing PC ideology and calls to support the 2nd Amendment, the NRA and the like, I would assume that most on this board would also stand by everyone's right to an opinion (unless it is libelous, of course.) I say let John Hoff and the other anti-name crowd spew their twisted logic as much as they want. It only helps to expose them for the nuts they are. And, while we're at it, I say let's give the Herald a back-handed pat on the back for printing this garbage and for helping the cause of those who want to support the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

Quick edit: Not even if it's trash and drivel that we whole-heartedly disagree with.

Thanks!

John Hoff has no connection to the newspaper, other than the paper's obsession with writing about him and his eccentricities (the newspaper probably also realizes that if people see the name "John Hoff," people will want to read about him just to see what happens next, no matter if they care for the guy or not. Bottomline, like a car wreck; he sells papers.) Hoff is a former Grand Forks County resident, who moved to Grand Forks about eight years ago from Seattle. He ran for City Council and won, eventually being recalled by residents of his ward. He went on to get a law degree from UND and now lives in the Twin Cities. I think he's a Minnesota native.

He became very outspoken against the nickname as a law student, which isn't surprising, as many anti-nickname people populate the UND Law School.

I know a few of the people that lead the effort to recall him. He lived in Gilby for a while an really stired the residents up there as well.

Here is his story.

Hoff is trying to emphasize his issues: livable wages, environmental protection, cultivation of industrial hemp, basketball hoops for students at the University of North Dakota, and that "everyone must have a voice in our government." But it is less Hoff's issues and more his style and flair for outrageous statements that is getting him into trouble. The nadir was a July 17 City Council meeting that degenerated into a parliamentary pissing match, with Hoff and other council members childishly calling "point of order" at each other before horrified onlookers. In civil, Norwegian Grand Forks, such things aren't done.

Hoff later apologized for his behavior, but it wasn't enough. Pissed-off constituent Larry Vanderhoff has launched a recall effort against Hoff that has apparently turned in enough signatures to force another election sometime before October 2. The recall effort is supported by a former mayor, the local newspaper, and most of the city's establishment.

"He's probably one of those professional students that has $100,000 in student loans he'll carry with him to his grave," scoffs Vanderhoff. "He's an embarrassment to my ward." (Grand Forks City Council is made up of wards or districts that represent different parts of the city.) Vanderhoff collected signatures from 755 voters and recruited Lowell Stevens, the candidate who fell six write-in votes short in the last election, to run against Hoff again. "Every time [Hoff] opened his mouth we got more signatures," says Vanderhoff. "We don't all necessarily disagree with his views, it's just how he's doing it and where he's doing it."

John Hoff has no connection to the newspaper, other than the paper's obsession with writing about him and his eccentricities (the newspaper probably also realizes that if people see the name "John Hoff," people will want to read about him just to see what happens next, no matter if they care for the guy or not. Bottomline, like a car wreck; he sells papers.) Hoff is a former Grand Forks County resident, who moved to Grand Forks about eight years ago from Seattle. He ran for City Council and won, eventually being recalled by residents of his ward. He went on to get a law degree from UND and now lives in the Twin Cities. I think he's a Minnesota native.

He became very outspoken against the nickname as a law student, which isn't surprising, as many anti-nickname people populate the UND Law School.

I was one of the law school populace during the Bleacher Creature dust up. At that time, some drunk frat boys made som idiotic remarks to some indians who were marching in the Homecoming parade. The next year the hockey team had to wear the "North Dakota" jersies rather than the Blackhawk logo ones. I can not remember one person who was opposed to the nickname in the law school. I am sure that there probably were some and I am sure that there are some now. With Jim Grijalva as professor there, the few that are anti-nickname are probably more vocal. I am sure that a vast majority of the law school students do not oppose the nickname. If I were there now instead of 15 years ago, I'd be wearing my Sioux jersey every day to class.

....Hoff is a former Grand Forks County resident, who moved to Grand Forks about eight years ago from Seattle. He ran for City Council and won, eventually being recalled by residents of his ward. He went on to get a law degree from UND...

So he's a law school graduate (if not a lawyer): and not only does he throw in a Nazi reference for no discernible reason, he also thinks that someone owes him personally a history of this statue??? Wow. This guy has quite an entitlement complex.

So he's a law school graduate (if not a lawyer): and he thinks that someone owes him personally a history of a statue??? Wow. This guy has quite an entitlement complex.

This guys is a piece of work Teeder was being generous when he explained him.

I know a few of the people that lead the effort to recall him. He lived in Gilby for a while an really stired the residents up there as well.

Here is his story.

"It's blood in the streets, it's headlines every day. I am the City Council now, I have the power. Is that crazy?"

Yes John, it is crazy. Your mental illness is out there for all to see and for all to wonder, 'Why isn't someone doing something to put this guy in a mental institution/or hospital (in NYC maybe?) where he can get the help he needs?'

Yes John, it is crazy. Your mental illness is out there for all to see and for all to wonder, 'Why isn't someone doing something to put this guy in a mental institution/or hospital (in NYC maybe?) where he can get the help he needs?'

I was thinking that I could probably find his prognosis in the DSMIV. Narcissistic rage comes to mind. :huh:

"He's probably one of those professional students that has $100,000 in student loans he'll carry with him to his grave," scoffs Vanderhoff.

I found the original article on the net: between this guy, Mr. First Amendment and the one who thinks there's a single corporate "Sioux Nation" you have quite a collection. :huh: But my favorite was another quote from the story...

Hoff is trying to emphasize his issues: ...cultivation of industrial hemp...

Yes, since you've been there 30 days its long since past the time that you started this crusade: people just hadn't thought of it before. :D (You should wait longer than 30 days before posting to a message board, much less running for office.)

Hoff is also looking into the constitutionality of North Dakota's recently revised recall law, which he claims discriminates against third-party officeholders by making it too easy for a minority to wage a recall.

Again, the entire state of North Dakota was just waiting for an enlightened person like you to light a single lamp. Uh, the majority had to elect you in the first place-if you don't retain that majority, you're going to lose. Its kinda simple.

Dude, quit buyin' the cheap Wal-Mart generic brand of foil. Go back to the Reynolds Wrap when you make the tin foil hat for Mr. Hoff.

Another good one-I was stuck between the fillings, tinfoil hat brigade and a Star Trek fan convention reference. :D

It's sad to think "idiocy" is now criteria for a "diverse student body".

I really think that if you had a college full of (white, black, your choice of a single race) nutcases who embraced any and every sort of wild conspiracy theory, you would be immune from charges of racial discrimination. (At least from the academic community, that is.)

Finally, another quote from the article:

In civil,
Norwegian
Grand Forks, such things aren't done.

Ethinic reference!! Racism!! BURN THE NEWSPAPER TO THE GROUND WHILE THE PUBLISHER IS IN THE BUILDING!! SHOOT ANYONE WHO HAS EVER READ IT!!! :(

This is off topic and has nothing to do with UND but does involve everyones favorite whipping boy...the fearless leader of the NCAA...Mr. Myles Brand.

Despite calls for ban, NCAA says it can't stop beer ads, fantasy sports

Joining the call were nine members of the U.S. House of Representatives, who sent their own letter to Brand on Wednesday.

All four letters were released by the Center for Science in the Public Interest,

"We find it puzzling that NCAA advertising rules prohibit ads for cigarettes, other tobacco products, organizations promoting gambling and alcoholic beverages, yet continue to allow ads for beverages with alcohol content of 6 percent or less [beer, the top alcoholic drink of college students]," the letter said. "Given the devastating problems caused by underage and excessive drinking, much of it in the form of beer, this policy makes little sense and flouts the core values of sports and learning."

Beer ads...Myles Brand can't stop them.

Beer ads...Myles Brand
can't
stop them.

Any mention of sponsorship by Pontiac?

Is the Jeep Cherokee banned??

:huh:

I don't think Mr. Brand will have to worry about this issue for much longer. Bud's new parent is going to cut advertising buys significantly; and many people think that action will allow Miller, Coors, et al to also cut their budgets.

This is off topic and has nothing to do with UND but does involve everyones favorite whipping boy...the fearless leader of the NCAA...Mr. Myles Brand.

Despite calls for ban, NCAA says it can't stop beer ads, fantasy sports

Beer ads...Myles Brand can't stop them.

We live in a capitalistic society and Brand is trying to act like the politburo.

We live in a capitalistic society and Brand is trying to act like the politburo.

I wonder why the NCAA presidents who attend the convention just don't make a motion to ban alcohol ads and pass it despite the objections of the committee and Brand?

After all, this was the rationalization behind the dropping of the lawsuit: the bylaws would just be changed.

I wonder why the NCAA presidents who attend the convention just don't make a motion to ban alcohol ads and pass it despite the objections of the committee and Brand?

After all, this was the rationalization behind the dropping of the lawsuit: the bylaws would just be changed.

It isn't going to happen too much money to be had.

money

It isn't going to happen too much money to be had.

You would think that if there were hundreds-if not thousands!-of University Presidents just outraged at this, then certainly one of them (say, the guy at Hartford who was wildly offended that anyone would use Indian "totems") would step up and make a motion.

For that matter, the current President of Syracuse is our former Chancellor: she actually burst into tears when the Trustees failed to get rid of Chief Illiniwek when she wanted them to. Upon moving to Syracuse, one of her first actions was to change their nickname from "Orangemen" (& probably "Orangewomen") to simply "Orange". I guess that gender-specific garbage was grating on her from the very start. :huh:

IMHO she'd be another candidate to put her money where.... er, I mean to practice what she preaches.

(Off this subject: The Chicago Blackhawks logo is "Proud, traditional and iconic" according to the Hockey News. The Hockey News ranks the NHL logos: Hawks are #1 )

Not really related to the Sioux name issue, but when I read stories like this it makes me wonder why some tribal "leaders" devote more energy to school names and logos than to the needs of their members.

Ohetica Win Elyxis Gardner, 13, Winter Rose Thomas, 14, and Alexandrea "Alex" Whiteplume, 15, were all found dead on the morning of June 4. Authorities have declined to release details on the circumstances surrounding their death.

According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' 2001 National Household Survey on Drug Abuse, American Indians and Alaska natives had the highest rate of any racial group, at 9.9 percent. The rate among whites was 7.2 percent.

"Lives are filled with despair," said Sergio A. Maldonado, Sr., director of tribal education for the Northern Arapaho. He said he sees his tribe still working through the effects of its historical grief. And rather than assimilating into mainstream America, he said he sees many tribal members suffering from, "a complete identity loss. A social dysfunction."

Linky

Not really related to the Sioux name issue, but when I read stories like this it makes me wonder why some tribal "leaders" devote more energy to school names and logos than to the needs of their members.

Exactly. For some it's easier to point out the zit on someone else and ignore the big wart on their own face.