SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

While I can give her credit for admitting the errors, it seems it is Doreen's responsibility to write the correction, and not the AG's. For the record, DYB's column is part of history. Anyone who researches the topic will find hers, and they won't necessarily have the AG's letter at hand to better understand the situation.

She should write her own correction, at the very least.

My thoughts when I read the AG's article..........................fine, but the damage was done. It's kind of like in a court room when a lawyer says something, the other lawyer objects and it is sustained and stricken from the record, but, mission accomplished, the jury heard it.

Following our conversation, she admitted there were errors in her column. But it was too late, she said, to rewrite.

WTF!!!! Where is the responsibility of the journalist to check and recheck their information before submitting it to print. WTF are the editors whose responsibility is to verify information they print is accurate. Geezey, Peezey, there is something HUGELY wrong with this!!

While the opponents of the Sioux nickname may be satisfied with the results (meaning the NCAA ban), many don't seem to care what process was followed as long as they achieved the result they wanted. I respectfully disagree.
Moniker opponents not worrying about tactics and appropriate processes used and just worrying about getting "the result they wanted"?

Say it ain't so. Who-da thunk? Any thoughts on this "Sioux-cia"?

The NCAA has constituents, too. Those constituents are the institutions that belong to the association, and which all have agreed to a process to resolve disputes and set policy. But the NCAA ignored its own constitution and rules and instead unilaterally, and I think illegally, imposed this new rule.

I believe, ladies and gentlemen, this is the theme continually espoused in UND appeals and it will continue when the Attorney General begins the "appeal" in the courts.

Moniker opponents not worrying about tactics and appropriate processes used and just worrying about getting "the result they wanted"?

Say it ain't so. Who-da thunk? Any thoughts on this "Sioux-cia"?

I'm getting this strange craving for a GrahamKracker dunked, no drowned in milk. ???

Edited by Sioux-cia

Get rid of DYB. To write something that is false multiple times and publish it is simply unacceptable for a "journalist" who writes for a larger newspaper. She clearly has an agenda. FIRE DYB!!! I'm sure there are jobs out there for supermarket tabloid writers.

WTF!!!! Where is the responsibility of the journalist to check and recheck their information before submitting it to print. WTF are the editors whose responsibility is to verify information they print is accurate. Geezey, Peezey, there is something HUGELY wrong with this!!

Sioux-cia I agree with 100% there is something very wrong with this. I think the AG stated the case nicely and anyone that reads that could not disagree with why ND is suing the NCAA. I just hope his letter helped make some people understand the issue a little more clearly.

From thenewsstar.com:

The ASU name is the same

Sun Belt rival won't give up on 'Indians'

After briefly exploring appeal options, ULM quickly moved to exploring a change in nickname and mascot. University administrators made it an all-inclusive process, creating a mascot committee to research a change and then allowing faculty, students, and alumni to vote on a new nickname.

Arkansas State, on the other hand, stood fast in its resolve to explore all options that would allow it to keep the Indian nickname. To this point, the university hasn't seriously explored a nickname change.

"We have continued to remain in a monitoring position and observing what is going on with other institutions," Lee said. "We are still in communication with a lot of those institutions, most notably Illinois and North Dakota. We are in the process of observing what is happening on their campuses and around the nation with litigation."

From the St. Paul Pioneer Press:

North Dakota officials sue NCAA over Fighting Sioux nickname

State officials filed a lawsuit Friday against the NCAA to challenge its restrictions on the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux nickname.

Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem said the lawsuit, filed in Northeast Central District Court in Grand Forks, alleges a breach of contract by the NCAA, a breach of good faith and illegal restraint of trade.

Go get'em Wayne. What about an injunction, so that the Sioux can host playoffs and wear standard uniforms? Or is an injunction automatic?

The lawsuit seeks a preliminary injunction to immediately stop the NCAA from implementing its policy and then a permanent injunction.

ESPN.com has picked up the story.

Stenehjem said the lawsuit seeks to allow the University of North Dakota to use the nickname throughout the school year without being sanctioned in possible postseason play, along with unspecified money damages.
NCAA officials were not immediately available for comment. NCAA President Myles Brand has said the NCAA will defend its policy "to the utmost."

It's fantastic the way the media has picked up this story. This is national news folks!! I can't wait to read how the NC$$ tucked it's tail between it's legs and had to eat it words. I have NO DOUBT that UND will win this lawsuit, none whatsoever!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6036390

From our own sudo reporter

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,12754/NorthDa...iouxName.htmler

Yep, and he is making a nice salary too, 198,000.00 a year and a car and house paid, that is like 250,000 to run a university. Wow...

Plus he's still getting his salary as a consultant from North Dakota. That's like close to $450, 000. I'm guessing that's better than getting your house remodeled and a little bump in your salary. :glare:

Now here's some real objective news reporting. :glare:

Mascot Mayhem: North Dakota Will Sue To Keep Mascot And Logo

Some teams are so passionate about keeping their traditional, yet politically incorrect mascots, that they're willing to take on the NCAA in court. State officials in North Dakota plan to file a lawsuit on Friday to challenge the NCAA's restrictions on the University of North Dakota's Fighting Sioux mascot.