SiouxSports.com Forum

Kato Friday

sprig

Interested to hear what those of you at the game thought of what sounded like a butt ugly game. Sounded like a multitude of calls where neither team knew who had the penalty coming.

Blais in post game talking about stupid penalties and dmen asleep in the first period. Several forwards asleep also. Kato took a page out of last year's Sioux book and played the third period prevent.

first 2 periods were indeed butt ugly, Mankato was getting to the puck quicker and grabbing and holding (reminded me of previous Wisconsin teams :angry: ) Sioux were taking twice as many shots, a lot were right into Jenson though.

Sioux penalties were killer! Mankato seemed to be lookin for a fight and Hale gave them one. He got in several good shots before they were separated. Mankato looked good on the PP. Sioux looked much better on their PP's than normal. Puck movement was much better I thought.

One of the first thing Ranfranz faced was a 2 short situation. I didn't think he looked bad. Was surprised and pleased to see Brandt back in goal for the third. He seemed to be much more focused.

Sioux looked like a completely different team in the 3rd period. Dominated play completely. Jensen made some good saves to preserve the tie.

just my $.02

Congratulations to the Sioux for the tie. You guys apparently outplayed the Mavs all night, but Jensen seemed to have a pretty good night between the pipes with 48 saves on 54 shots.

The Mavs are now 2-3-2 in the WCHA, with all of their games being against ranked teams. If they can hang near .500 through this stretch, life could get much better down the road. There is never an easy weekend in the WCHA, is there?

Sounded like a very exciting game in the third and OT. Sleepy Sioux woke up to manufacture a tie. Not desireable for the home series, but we'll take it considering what was looking like the alternative for two periods.

MSU-M is an excellent team playing a brutal schedule right now. From what I saw against Minnesota, they take advantage of their power plays and are skating very hard. Plus, Jensen has it together in net.

I hope the Mavs blew their wad tonight 'cause the Sioux need every home win they can get!

taz

Looks like UND really showed their true colors in the 2nd and 3rd periods. Hopefully that type of play can carry on into saturday's game.

Concerning mason.. does this guy purposely try to control the pace of the game? There were several penalties on both sides that he could have let go. On the other hand, maybe mankato and UND just played really sloppy, i only watched it on tv. Any comments?

I caught most of the first period on the internet, and was seriously surprised at the number and frequency of penalties. There was no indication as to whether they were good calls or not. But it's part of the game.

Nice comeback, and I hate those games, for the team. Blais commented in the Hurled he thought the team was unfocused and that's what it sounded like. Hopefully, the second and third periods got the team focused on the job at hand. (Ralph would want it that way. ??? ) Mankato played a tough game, as I thought they would. Kudos to them for at least showing up to play.

It was also nice to see Ranfranz get some playing time. On a related note, when Tim mentioned that Brandt was going out of the net to get a puck in the first, I thought "Oh ****. All of that keep it simple stuff he's been using the past couple series is gone." Anyway, it sounds like he got his act together later.

Time to get two more points tonight, and continue the "Revenge Tour 2002-03." :angry:

Edit: Kudos to Mike Prpich for getting the first points of his college career and to David Hale for demonstrating "Jim Archibald's Public Relations Techniques" to a Mankato player, even if he has to sit tonight.

PK was obviously not going last night. Sounded much like SCSU last year. Two 5 on 3's didn't help. Mason returned the favor in the third to dictate the tie.

Was interesting listening to Hennesey on at least one of the calls. Neither team knew who it was on, neither penalty door opened, as the score keepers were confused also. Noone in the arena had a clue what Mason called. Probably including his two linesmen. A brutal effort by this dolt. Noticed he's been piling up penalties in most (maybe all) of the series he's had so far this year. Inconsistent as hell, noone on the ice knows what they can and can't do. Sloppiness by both teams probably due to that.

GF Herald article says Blais will start Siembeda tonight.

My God Bill Mason (Or maybe its Bob their identical twins and I can't tell the difference) but he sucked(s) as an official and a lot of the calls were down right brutal, he tried to call a goal on the one shot that was obviously not a goal...

If I hear anyone say that Hales fight was a draw I am going to scream he worked the Mankato player like a clown. He dropped the guy to the ice with some great punches and then when the player was on the ice he popped him on top of the head.

Hales first fight it was a doosey, a high lite reel maker... Zach said he thought Davids fight motivated the team. I agree. It kicked ass...

I expect UND to win big tonight, it was apparent that MSU can not keep up with UND speed and will try to hook and hold and hang on to keep up...

Jensen is a good goalie though...

If I hear anyone say that Hales fight was a draw I am going to scream he worked the Mankato player like a clown. He dropped the guy to the ice with some great punches and then when the player was on the ice he popped him on top of the head.

Hales first fight it was a doosey, a high lite reel maker... Zach said he thought Davids fight motivated the team. I agree. It kicked ass...

Sounds like it was planned since you were at the game, Goon. How did you get the Kato clown to come out and pick the fight?

PCM, hope you captured a few pics of this one.

Sounds like it was planned since you were at the game, Goon. How did you get the Kato clown to come out and pick the fight?

PCM, hope you captured a few pics of this one.

Well lets see it started out as a scrum in front of the net and then hale and Ryan McKelvie were tied up and then the gloves came off, Hale ripped number Ryan McKelvie's helment off and then Hale pummeled Ryan McKelvie. I wasn't even close he smoked Ryan McKelvie like 4 times right in the face. I think this was Hales first ever fight at UND. It was rumored that he was a good fighter in Jrs this just proves that point...

This fight was can we say a brooks and Commy type fight one was an instigator and then that person turned into a punching bag. Once hale droppedRyan McKelvie to the ice he hale hammered him a few more time on top of the head. The fight was killer you know. The place went nuts. You know scarey good fight...

Pcm, if you have pictures that would be cool. My wife asked why don't they stop it and I said do you want to get between those two big guys. Nope...

Pcm, if you have pictures that would be cool.

Sorry, guys, but I was up in the press box during the fight, too far away to shoot with my digital camera. That's the down side of trying to be a writer and photographer at the same time. I can only spend about half a period each game taking pictures. :angry:

I use a Nikon CoolPix 995. It isn't really designed for sports or action photography.

Nice camera! I've only used older CoolPix, but the old model had a long lag time between hitting the button and image capture. It was also pretty slow at getting ready for the next photo, but that was because I was set at the highest resolution and it used an old Compact Flash card (apparently the new CF cards are significantly faster).

My Minolta Dimage uses SmartMedia, which is noticeably faster than the old CF cards. The delay between pressing the button and the capture still seems like forever when trying to capture action shots. I have lots of funny pictures of an empty bobsled track from the Salt Lake Olympics. With bobsleds moving 90mph, I never even managed to get a close shot of one with a film camera (non-SLR).

Thanks for the info. I have a Kodak DX3900 and am looking at purchasing some lens' for it. Not sure how good it will be with the action either. Seems to be better outside, but then I'm not lookin to be the next "PCM" either ???

As much as I seem to attract pucks maybe I should stick to family pics :angry:

I have lots of funny pictures of an empty bobsled track from the Salt Lake Olympics.

I have some similar ones of an empty waterslide in Walker, MN.

Well, the team earned two points Saturday night, and after last year, you just have to tuck the points away without much concern for style points. I listened Friday, and just read the score update thread Saturday, so my feelings are based on my imagination. It is a little troubling that on consecutive Saturday nights the Sioux let three-goal leads slip away, and had to hold on at the end. Not since Yale have they pulled away and put someone away in the third. The funny thing is that they haven't played the passive prevent; they've pressed and just been unable to score.

Nice to see the offense get going. And the balanced offense.

Since I couldn't listen Saturday, what were the line combos, and who sat out? Thanks.

Outshooting an opponent for one game does not equate to "outplaying" them, because it can be deceptive. But consistently outshooting your opponents, game after game, by noticeable margins, is encouraging.

Now for a big weekend with SCSU.

Well, the team earned two points Saturday night, and after last year, you just have to tuck the points away without much concern for style points. I listened Friday, and just read the score update thread Saturday, so my feelings are based on my imagination. It is a little troubling that on consecutive Saturday nights the Sioux let three-goal leads slip away, and had to hold on at the end. Not since Yale have they pulled away and put someone away in the third. The funny thing is that they haven't played the passive prevent; they've pressed and just been unable to score.

Nice to see the offense get going. And the balanced offense.

Since I couldn't listen Saturday, what were the line combos, and who sat out? Thanks.

Outshooting an opponent for one game does not equate to "outplaying" them, because it can be deceptive. But consistently outshooting your opponents, game after game, by noticeable margins, is encouraging.

Now for a big weekend with SCSU.

technically they didnt lead 3 goal leads slip away, but i get what you mean. That phantom tripping call towards the end of the game was one of the most bogus calls i have ever seen.

Well, it's hard to say that I'm satisfied. The Mavericks cannot keep being content with "moral victories" for "hanging tough" with the top WCHA teams. They should have gotten the win on Friday night; kudos to the Sioux for fighting back. The Mavs fought back tonight, just fell a little short.

They haven't embarrassed themselves against some of the top teams in the WCHA to start the season. Next weekend it's Anchorage at the CC. If the Mavs are looking to make a run at a top-five finish, they need to sweep.

I look forward to seeing you guys in our building in February. Not because I think it will be easy, but because I've enjoyed Sioux fans. The St. Cloud fans are obnoxious, and we get overrun with Gopher fans (even Mankato residents who cheer for the Gophs,) but I have found the Sioux fans to be knowledgeable people who cheer for their team without being a pain in the butt.

Lines:

Parise, Bochenski, Notermann

Lundbohm, Spiewak, Massen

McMahon, Prpich, Hale

Spiewak (double shifted), Genoway, Fylling

Canady and Connelly not dressed. Blais went with 11 forwards, but not sure why?

Talked to Canady briefly before the game and he didn't seem injured, perhaps his parents have some insight as to why he wasn't dressed. Personally, I thought he played well on Friday and deserved to play!

Also, with D. Hale sitting out due to suspension, Lee Marvin did dress and play defense. Of note, he is now wearing #13. Prior to this weekend he was #23, however, that was Engelstad's number, which will now be retired!

Nice gritty win for the team, even though I too am worried about the team sitting on its heels with a lead going into the third. It's nice to see some more offensive production being spread around the team/lines. The once-solid defense we had seems like it took the weekend off at crucial times and left the goalies hanging. Not good, and I hope the team works hard in practice this week.

The Hurled noted that Blais benched certain players for their poor performance Friday, and primarily rolled three lines.

Nice gritty win for the team, even though I too am worried about the team sitting on its heels with a lead going into the third.

Got to see the third period on TV, and actually, the Sioux did not do their last-year third period back-in. They took it to Kato for most of the period, and did everything but score. Nasty forecheck and total control of the puck in the Kato zone.

Only in the last three minutes when Mason decided to allow the game to be tied (as he did for the Sioux on Friday), calling phantom penalties, did the Kato comeback begin. The PK was brutal in those final minutes, as it apparently was the entire weekend (7-14). Kato's PP is good, but nobody's is that good.

Prpich is a fore-checking machine, much like Notermann. 19 is a good number for him to wear (wasn't that Bayda's). Hope the scoring continues, as he sure looks a lot like Bayda out there.

Blais indicated in the Herald that it was due to their play.

sprig, the better reason for Prpich to wear #19 is Scott Dub, for me. Maybe he'll have a little better touch than Dub, and be a little rougher than Bayda. That would be a nice combo.

I'll admit to being surprised by Prpich's development. I thought that he and Palmiscno would be wearing suits most often, just because the lineup would be so tough to crack. I guess if you're on the bubble, you have to make it impossible for the coach to sit you.

The Fargo Fool'em also indicated that the shorter bench was due to Friday's game.

Anyway, I'm very glad Prpich is starting to make some points. He did pretty well in the BCHL with 57 pts last season, but he also had 239 PIM which I think gave a number of coaches pause. It appears he's been pretty low-key with PIM this season and seems like he contributes on the ice, even if he hasn't scored much. He was slotted by Blais as a position player and I think he'll develop nicely over time.

jk, while I think the Dub comparison is a good one, I thought Prpich would be more of an Archibald-type player based on his BCHL PIM, and scoring. :angry: