SiouxSports.com Forum

Kato Friday

sprig

I've only used older CoolPix, but the old model had a long lag time between hitting the button and image capture.

The delayed shutter response is still a problem on the CoolPix 995, although I can't compare it to anything else because it's the only digital camera I've used to any extent. But I do know that compared to my Nikon 35mm SLR, I have to be much, much better at anticipating the play.

I'm actually surprised that I've been able to get some of the shots I have. The nice thing about digital photography is that you can shoot lots of lousy photos, delete the bad ones and hang on to the good stuff. For every good photo you see here, there are five or six terrible ones.

Hope that some players get the message. Too bad they had to sit. I for one like Canady and Connelly, as it seems to me those guys bust their butts when they are on the ice. Hope it all gets straightened out quickly. We need 'em on the ice.

Finally got to see the guys live last night. Nice to be back at the REA.

A couple of thoughts.

The team is definitely better than last year! More offensive flow.

Massen is coming on. His goal last night was big time. He showed real speed in picking the Mankato player of the puck at center ice, racing him to the puck, and beating the other d-man to the goalie. The goalie makes the save but Massen picks up his rebound and flies around the back of the goal and wraps it in the other side. He was dominating.

Speaking of dominating: Bochenski.

This guy is strong! I think it was the first period he fights to MSM players for the puck in his own zone, and fights them both as he drives towards the mankato zone. He is still pushing forward, and controlling the puck through their zone, I think beating an additional d-man on the way and manages to get a shot off. I was praying it would go in because this would have been a highlight goal played for Sioux fans for many years. Maybe someone else can post a better description of this sequence but it was amazing.

And then there was his goal in the 2nd period. Yowza. Bochenski came in on the left wing, with either Notermann or Parise (or both, I can't remember) coming down with him. There A d-man was attempting to break up any pass. Bochenski was positioned to pass, and at the top of the circles rips the puck across his body in a wicked wrist shot and past the goalie in the upper corner of the net. This was a real screamer, man. As fast as most slap shots IMO.

Blais was happy with Siembida's performance, even though he gave up 4 goals. Said he made some big saves.

Can't wait to be back for the CC weekend.

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention Prpich. This kid will be a real contributor if he keeps this up. Very strong on his skates, and tough on the forecheck.

Does anyone know what Jake Brandt did to get a 10-minute misconduct at the end of the Saturday game?

According to Blais, Brandt expressed his true feelings about the AR calling the too many men on the ice penalty with less than a minute left.

Speaking of dominating: Bochenski.

This guy is strong! I think it was the first period he fights to MSM players for the puck in his own zone, and fights them both as he drives towards the mankato zone. He is still pushing forward, and controlling the puck through their zone, I think beating an additional d-man on the way and manages to get a shot off. I was praying it would go in because this would have been a highlight goal played for Sioux fans for many years. Maybe someone else can post a better description of this sequence but it was amazing.

This is what I remember. Bochenski gained possession of the puck in the defensive end, a few feet in front of the blue line, and fought past the forwards covering him. He turned on the jets, and I think half the time he had one hand on his stick controlling the puck, and the other hand was used to push the defenders away. He blew past the first defender, looked shaky for a split half a second, then gained his balance and continued to speed up while cutting to his right. Then he tapped the puck to his left past the 2nd defender, and quickly changed his direction to sidestep him and push the defender away as he neatly took possession of the puck once again. By this point, the defender had no choice but to grab and hold on, as Bochenski wound up and still managed to get a good wrist shot off right on goal with the defender draped over him, slowing him down. I can't remember, but I think this is the play that Parise backpedaled on and ended up getting shoved hard into the net when he was looking for a rebound.

I agree, dagies, those were some awsome moves. I was thinking the same exact thing, that if that shot would have gone in, it would have been the #1 highlight reel for quite a while. If you had just seen Bochenski last year, you would never have known he could move like that. Amazing.