SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

Thanks NDPride...answered all of my questions fairly and honestly, i like that. I don't know too much about any teams in high school hockey this year because everyone lost so many players, so i guess i like to compare how teams are in each conference. I haven't heard of that DVD, but I am in love with crosby. He is so dang good I love it, and to think he could be on one of the high school teams in north dakota this year. haha thats just crazy.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the schedule info Wilbur. Should be an interesting couple of weeks. Will be interesting to see how Williston and Minot match up when they get together as well as the games with the east that you mentioned.

On Sid Crosby - anyone interested can get the DVD by going to www.hdhockey.tv/newest.php

They have several on Crosby including "Becoming Sidney Crosby" It is a one hour special and has some great stuff. It costs $27.99 and I suppose there is shipping as well.

Some interesting games this weekend in the east as Red River travels to Shanley and Century plays West Fargo, not to mention South's trip to Bismarck.

I witnessed the game. Both teams were inexperianced with no real game plan. They both did the typical Wahp breakout plan of attempting to ice it with a cherry picker up high. Kelvin Shane did not have a lot of Defensive help otu there, but then again he didn't last year either. I tihnk South has th ebest set of D in the state. Which is goign to determine a lot fo the games this season. It was a game with numerous penalties and it was hard fought. Central at first had puck play most of the game until the third period. They were up 3-0 at one point. Penalties killed opportunites for both teams last night. I see Central getting better this season and being competitive as always at the end of the eyar. Shanley with such a young tema and coaching staff will not fair as well. However, thsoe 4-point games can kill a team's record.

Interesting scenario: If GFC doesn't beat either North or Jamestown 2 of those 4 games and drops one to West fargo, GFC will be hosting the play-in game. Central fans mark your calanders for tuesday december 13th, this game vs. West fargo could break their season.

9th place wahpeton- 0 points

8th place central- 8 points ( wahpeton 4points, jamestown 2 points, West fargo 2 points)

7th place shanely - 8 points wins tie-breaker ( GFC 4 points, Wahpeton 4 points)

6th place west fargo- 10 points (wahpeton 4 points, Shanely 4 points , GFC 2 points)

This scenario doesn't seem that unrealistic to me, anyone else have opinions?

Dickinson beats Century 9-3. Landon Leiss with six points and it looks like he had to sit out for a checking from behind. Wilbur, I know you have ties with the west, have you seen this kid or was it just a fluke?

Here is a guess on this situation. Bismarck Century will be a struggling team this year. Last year they were 11-14-1 and only have one player returning who scored in double digits last year. It is a down year for them and maybe Dickinson is in an upswing. Leiss is 6', 180 so he has good size and last year had 10g 9a for 19 points - not a lot for the West Region but he did put some pucks in the net. He had 2 goals and 4 assists in the BC game - sometimes you need a little luck even when you are good. I would be more interested in how he plays against Minot and Williston and any East teams they run into.

In case any of you get the Forum, there was a nice full page write up on High School hockey. I only glanced at Fargo South's so I didn't get a great look at it.

I know it has all of the F-M area high schools including West Fargo and Moorhead boys and girls hockey.

Not sure if it has anywhere else.

I agree that Central didn't play a complete game. They started out pretty good, but tanked it in the 2nd and 3rd period. There were some pretty good checks by Tom Haug and a very timely hard check by Jared Stadstad where when the player got up he was shaking his head. Haug and Stadstad are both juniors.

I was confused on Shanley's 2nd goal in the 2nd period. It was very clear to me that the whistle had blown way before the puck went in, but after the ref's talked it over they decided to give Shanley the goal. If anyone else was there can you explain what happened with that 2nd goal.

Interesting night of hockey. Red River breaks a tight 3-2 game open to win by 8-3 over a fiesty Shanley squad. South crushes Bismarck High 9-0 and West Fargo reportedly was beating Bismarck Century by a large margin. One of the highlights of the game was Shanley senior defenseman Marc Harrie's penalty shot. It looked effortless as the penalty shot closed the gap to 3-1. Red River had some good size and speed and moved the puck well. There were a lot of penalties on both sides.

On Friday night Devils Lake beat Century 6-0 and Dickinson beat Wahpeton 8-2. Minot beat Mandan 6-0 earlier in the week.

Another Saturday night score - Central, after losing to Shanley the other day, beats Minot 2-1. West Fargo finished up 10-1 over Bismarck Century.

Edited by ND Pride

I was at the Central-Minot Game, and it was a great high school hockey game. Central outshot Minot by about 30-20, and they scored the game winning goal with like 38 seconds left in the game. Minot dominated the first period, but from then on it was pretty much all Central. If it wasn't for some great goaltending from Minot's goalie it could have been a larger deficit, yet the Central goalie played good as well.

Central's first goal was clearly a high stick, but none of the reffs saw it and didn't change the call as they shouldn't of because none of them had a good view of the play. Central still very much deserved to win the game with the way that they played at the end though, they played very inspired hockey in the third period.

Minot will have trouble with depth. They have three solid lines of forwards when everyone is healthy/eligible (one player out with injury I believe, another out for a fighting penalty he recieved in the first game), yet they only have four reliable defensemen, and that was a big factor in Central wearing Minot down in the end.

Like I said though, a great high school game, very few penalties called, and pretty decent flow. ???

FSH vs. GPR

Top two teams in the state square off tomorrow in Grafton. This game could very well decide who wins the EDC.

Yes, it should be interesting to see the two teams projected to be the top two in the state play. I hope I can get a clear cell phone connection to keep up with the action period by period. After watching Red River on Saturday night it should be interesting to see how they stack up against Grafton. Grafton will be in Fargo on Thursday. I'm thinking Red River and Grafton could be a fairly equal match up as the GF team has done a reasonable job of reloading. We will have to wait and see how they match up on the ice.

Yes, it should be interesting to see the two teams projected to be the top two in the state play. I hope I can get a clear cell phone connection to keep up with the action period by period. After watching Red River on Saturday night it should be interesting to see how they stack up against Grafton. Grafton will be in Fargo on Thursday. I'm thinking Red River and Grafton could be a fairly equal match up as the GF team has done a reasonable job of reloading. We will have to wait and see how they match up on the ice.

It'll be interesting to see if South can make it up to Grafton tomorrow with this weather that we are having....

Red Rivers first line was pretty good saturday

milhulka melland and spies, milhulka flat out dominated the game, he was just to over powering he had 1 goal and 4 assists, it was against shanely, but i thought they looked good for being there first game, may I add that galbreath and ladouceur had a good game

Who is on the first line of grafton?

South choked, something they are pretty good at. Every year all we hear is South South South. Every year in the championhip, it is Grand Forks, Grand Forks, Grand Forks. This year will be no different.

Both GF teams Struggle with Shanely.

-Central loses in O.T I knew they'd be down but ouch!

-Red river surrenders 34 shots and 3 goals.

Looks like another all GF final agian this year.

As you didn't previously state, Red River had 55 shots on goal. They also surrendered only 28 shots and on one of Shanley's goal, the net was clearly off before the puck crossed the line. Red River also had 8 different people score in an 8-3 victory, three of them being sophomores who scored their first high school goals. They physically beat up Shanley's two lines. Though the Riders may have taken some stupid penalties, they gave up one goal while being shorthanded. They were 50% on the power play, going 4 for 8. You also have to remember that this was the first game of the season for each team. Look at what Central did out in Minot. From what I hear, Central took it to Minot for the final two periods and Minot is projected to be at the top in the West Region. Don't speak two soon, because the words might come back to bite you.

Don't speak to soon.

I have to agree with those who caution about drawing conclusions too early in the season. It was interesting to speculate pre-season on who the top teams would be but now that things are starting up there is a lot more objective evidence upon which to draw conclusions. I saw Red River play Shanley and I was impressed with Shanley's hustle and, at times, puck movement. They worked hard to stay in the game and succeeded for awhile. Red River looked fairly good for an first game situation. I would be careful about minimizing how Red River will perform as I think they are a dangerous team with good size, good speed, and good coaching. I have not seen Grafton since last year but it should be interesting when they play Red River. Hopefully Red River will be in Fargo tomorrow and Grafton on Thursday and more conclusions can be drawn from game performance.

If you would have been at the game watching you would have clearly seen that two of Shanley's goals should not have been counted. Shanley's first goal was scored by Mark Harrie who scored on a penalty shot which was called when a Red River defender took him down while skating a step behind him and the defender was beat by the speed of Harrie so he took Harrie down trying to prevent him from getting a shot off. The third goal didn't even go into the net as the puck dropped straight down and the net was pushed off of its pegs. Anyways if the puck did go in the net, the net was pushed to the right of Red River's goaltender where the goal took place.

May I also add that Central beat the top team in the west Minot 2-1 on a late goal by Simonson.