SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

First of all, im not ur buddy if u think those ludacris rankings are legit. Secondly there is no doubt in my mind RR will be in close competition with FSH for the best record in the EDC. If my memory serves me correctly, which i think that it does, GF teams for the 87,88, and 89 age groups have won, or at least participated in the state championship game pert near every year since peewees. This leads me to believe that once again the best of the two Grand Forks team will win the state championship.(just a thought) And Jamestown #4, psssshhhh, i dont recall the last time Jamestown placed in the top 5 from the EDC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The rankings are alittle weak, but not as weak as your last comment. First of all comparing peewee's to high school is a joke. I also believe a certian mario lamaroux carried those teams anyway.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rankings are alittle weak, but not as weak as your last comment. First of all comparing peewee's to high school is a joke. I also believe a certian mario lamaroux carried those teams anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good point

Maybe a more realistic EDC ranking would be...

1. Fargo South

2. Grafton

3. Grand Forks Red River

4. Fargo North

5. Grand Forks Central

6. Jamestown

7. West Fargo

8. Shanley

9. Whapeton

In my opinion it's very difficult to assume who will fill the 3rd through 6th spot in the EDC rankings. After South and Grafton their are no real standout teams so I think you have to put the teams in order of certain individuals that these teams have that may make a difference. I'm not saying because of one or two players these teams will succeed but, because we have so little information thats how I decided to fill the final spots. The top players for each teams in my opinion are...

Fargo South- Paul Weisgarber, Erick Galt, Grant Larson, Adam Campell, Sean Diechert (G)

Grafton- Paul and Tom Campell, Zach Miller, Andy Peterson

Grand Forks Red River- Marc Mihulka and Jarrett Galbreath

Fargo North- Tyler Klein and Nick Klenow

Grand Forks Central- Jon Greicar

Jamestown- Zach Welding

West Fargo- Darek Knaus

Shanley- Marc Harrie

Whapeton- ....sorry...

Obviously the teams with more players listed are more talented and thats why they are at the top of list at this point in time. I guess we'll see how accurate they really are in about 3 weeks?

Maybe a more realistic EDC ranking would be...

1. Fargo South

2. Grafton

3. Grand Forks Red River

4. Fargo North

5. Grand Forks Central

6. Jamestown

7. West Fargo

8. Shanley

9. Whapeton

In my opinion it's very difficult to assume who will fill the 3rd through 6th spot in the EDC rankings.  After South and Grafton their are no real standout teams so I think you have to put the teams in order of certain individuals that these teams have that may make a difference.  I'm not saying because of one or two players these teams will succeed but, because we have so little information thats how I decided to fill the final spots.  The top players for each teams in my opinion are...

Fargo South- Paul Weisgarber, Erick Galt, Grant Larson, Adam Campell, Sean Diechert (G)

Grafton- Paul and Tom Campell, Zach Miller, Andy Peterson

Grand Forks Red River- Marc Mihulka and Jarrett Galbreath

Fargo North- Tyler Klein and Nick Klenow

Grand Forks Central- Jon Greicar

Jamestown- Zach Welding

West Fargo- Darek Knaus

Shanley- Marc Harrie

Whapeton- ....sorry...

Obviously the teams with more players listed are more talented and thats why they are at the top of list at this point in time.  I guess we'll see how accurate they really are in about 3 weeks?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd have to agree except, West fargo and Shanley. Both teams are Very, Very weak. Neither has a respectable goaltender. Both have weak defensemen. Both have poor depth at forward. The reason shanley will probably win is because of coaching, year in and year out they the strongest coaching staff in the state. Should be the same story with Pivetz in his 2nd year.

http://www.hselitehockey.com/index.asp?Typ...A-C07AF8F6EB41}

Weisgarber has snuck onto the point leaders board in the league. Galt is still the leader among defensemen for points. Great Plains really beat Shattuck 4-3 even though the scores posted on the site say the teams tied 4-4.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Snuck - more like powered his way in - congrats to Paul - and he did not play the first weekend of games either.

To end all further doubt to you who believe Fargo South will not be the number one team in the EDC...

Great hockey teams are composed of three essential parts. A great defense, a great offense, and a great leader. I'm going to show you why Fargo South possesses not one, not two, but all three of these qualities.

-A great defense-.... Fargo South's defensive squad is led by senior Erick Galt. Galt is without a doubt the best defensemen in the state, and has recently proved, maybe the best D Minnesota aswell. They return 4 more d-man with significant playing time. They also return a very talented goaltender in Sean Diechert. Sean was named to the National Festival team this summer and posted respectable numbers.

A great offense- Fargo South's offense is headed by Senior Paul Weisgarber. Paul is currently one of the scoring leaders in the Elite1 league. A league that is said to be "about a half of step down from the USHL" by USHL coach Todd Knott. Paul is one of those players that plays day in and day out, every second of every period and will carry his team to victory. South returns 9 more forwards with significant playing time to help back Mr. Weisgarber. They also return 4 forwards with 20 points or more.

A great leader- South has 4 of them. Galt, Weisgarber, Grant Larson, and Adam Campell all possess a great work ethic, positive attitude, and great skill. These four players will help tie all loose ends that may arise within the team.

There is not another team in the region with the depth of Fargo South. That will be the number one reason for there success this season. Even though last year was a all GF final, the era of Grand Forks dominating high school hockey is gone. At least not this year...

Even though last year was a all GF final, the era of Grand Forks dominating high school hockey is gone. At least not this year...

I heard that exact same phrase this time last year.

Here's what you said last year:

Just to inform all of you who doubt the Fargo South High Bruins, they should be and will be (with the return of Junior standout Paul Weisgarber) the best team in the state of North Dakota.

I guess FS was the best team in the state but didn't win a state title.

South may not have won state but they clearly did have the best team in the state. Red River may have beaten them when it counted most but South did beat them three times prior to the state tournament.

Clearly they had the best team? :) If you ask me NO they did not.

I prefer objective not subjective statements. "Best team" is subjective. Wouldn't it be cool if at the end of the year the top teams in the state came together at one location and fought it out til the end. The one team left standing could be called the "Best" and we could reward them with a "title."

I like that idea better than who has the best regular season record (BCS "esque").

Clearly the BEST team was the team holding the trophy after the championship game - anything else is just sour grapes and excuses.

I once played on a NDHS team that dominated the entire year only to lose in the tournament - not once have I ever said that the best team didn't win. There is a reason you play the game and you are only as good as your last W (or L as in Fargo South's case).

South may not have won state but they clearly did have the best team in the state. Red River may have beaten them when it counted most but South did beat them three times prior to the state tournament.

Tough to be considered the best team in the state when you only have one line that can score.

The best team in the state for that season is NOT always the team that wins the championship. The team that plays best that night wins the championship. Here's a little something for you, in 1980 the US mens olympic team beat Russia for the first time in twenty years. Now, are you going to sit there and tell me the Russia was not in fact the better of the two teams? It wouldnt have been a big deal if USA was the best team in the world that year... But they were not the best team in the world, the were the best team in the world that night. There is a huge difference. If given the chance to ask a member of the 1980 team who was the best team in 1980, I'd be willing to bet they would tell you Russia aswell.

Fargo South was 12-1-1 in conference play last season. They defeated Grand Forks Red River by a combined score of 5-2. They also beat Grand Forks Central by a combined score of 9-4. Both of those are fairly significant margins in the game of hockey. Add both of those together and they beat the Grand Forks school 14-6. 14 to 6. That is a very significant margin wouldnt you agree? After going undefeated against both these teams how can you say that throughout the entire season, that one of them was in fact the best team in the state? You can't and they weren't. They were however the best team that night.

The best team in the state for that season is NOT always the team that wins the championship. The team that plays best that night wins the championship. Here's a little something for you, in 1980 the US mens olympic team beat Russia for the first time in twenty years. Now, are you going to sit there and tell me the Russia was not in fact the better of the two teams? It wouldnt have been a big deal if USA was the best team in the world that year... But they were not the best team in the world, the were the best team in the world that night. There is a huge difference. If given the chance to ask a member of the 1980 team who was the best team in 1980, I'd be willing to bet they would tell you Russia aswell.

Fargo South was 12-1-1 in conference play last season. They defeated Grand Forks Red River by a combined score of 5-2. They also beat Grand Forks Central by a combined score of 9-4. Both of those are fairly significant margins in the game of hockey. Add both of those together and they beat the Grand Forks school 14-6. 14 to 6. That is a very significant margin wouldnt you agree? After going undefeated against both these teams how can you say that throughout the entire season, that one of them was in fact the best team in the state? You can't and they weren't. They were however the best team that night.

Those are big margins considering that one line did all the scoring!

Alot of time on your hands?

No! I have an EXTREMELY good memory(hence I find it easy to recall things already said in the past). ALSO, school at UND I don't find challenging, so wait....Yes I guess I do have an above average amount of time compared to your typical college student.

Specific: Fine you WIN: Fargo South was the best team last year....AND I guarantee they will also be this year.

I want you and FS to have the "best" team.

But I want a GF team to win a state "title."

One goes in the record book. One does not.

I don't want to be on the "best" team. I want to be on a "title" team.

No! I have an EXTREMELY good memory(hence I find it easy to recall things already said in the past). ALSO, school at UND I don't find challenging, so wait....Yes I guess I do have an above average amount of time compared to your typical college student.

Specific: Fine you WIN: Fargo South was the best team last year....AND I guarantee they will also be this year.

I want you and FS to have the "best" team.

But I want a GF team to win a state "title."

One goes in the record book. One does not.

I don't want to be on the "best" team. I want to be on a "title" team.

Ball Room dancing not giving out enough homework these days?

I wasnt debating whether or not it is more satisfying to be the best team in the state or to be the team to win the title. I said FSH was the best team. I didnt say they celebrated the fact they were the best even though they did not win the state championship. At least we agreed on the fact that Fargo South was in fact the past team last year and they will be the best team this year. Thank you.

Unreal! Specifics, so many people have already said this and i'll say it again. How can you say they were the best team in the state when they didnt win a state title. The state title is awarded to the best team that year. Give up on last year, RR was the best team in the state, they have some big shiny thing on their finger to prove it.

Specifics, I think you have mixed up the words most talent and best team. Sure FSH probably had the most talent, but they were hardly a team, as witnessed by the State Tournament blowup, in which they allowed 9 goals in 2 games. They simply did not get the job done when it had mattered. The best teams get the job done. FSH was clearly not the best team.

Specifics-there is a reason they dont give the best team in the regular season the title. thats why they have playoffs and thats why RR was "the best team in the State last year". No if and or buts about it......RR proved they were the better team and have a better tradition than South.