SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Entry Draft

Let'sGoHawks!

And the  PENGUINS get Crosby.

And most of the 30 minutes were filled with "Commercials".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems nothing goes right for the NHL, of course most of it is self-induced. Pitt along with Nashville, Florida and Atlanta had to be markets the NHL did not want him to start in.

Seems nothing goes right for the NHL, of course most of it is self-induced.  Pitt along with Nashville, Florida and Atlanta had to be markets the NHL did not want him to start in.

Crazy Pittsburgh getting #1, #2, then #1. I like the divisional scheduling concept, but with the new divisions the Caps are rather separated from the old Patrick foes; at least we'll get to see Ovechkin knocking Crosby around 4 times a year.

In that vein, the NHL still has to be pretty happy Crosby is landing in the Atlantic East -- Pittsburgh will play against the Rangers, Islanders, Devils, and Philly 8 times / year.

Hear are some Sioux or Sioux related rankings from the final CSB rankings. I probably missed some.

15 LEE, BRIAN

32 FINLEY, JOE

43 OSHIE, T.J.

45 CHORNEY, TAYLOR

59 VANDE VELDE, CHRIS

84 FISHER, DREW

126 KOZEK, ANDREW

129 BEARSON, ZACH--isn't he Noterman's cousin? He is going to UW.

137 WATKINS, MATT

148 JONES, ZACH

207 LAMOUREUX, PIERRE-PAUL

your numbers are different then mine..did i miss something? or do we have different sources

DMT provided the updated and final Central Scouting List for North American skaters. Keeping in mind that Toews will be a first round pick next year, the talent and potential of this inbound Sioux class is mind-boggling

Crazy Pittsburgh getting #1, #2, then #1.  I like the divisional scheduling concept, but with the new divisions the Caps are rather separated from the old Patrick foes; at least we'll get to see Ovechkin knocking Crosby around 4 times a year. 

In that vein, the NHL still has to be pretty happy Crosby is landing in the Atlantic East -- Pittsburgh will play against the Rangers, Islanders, Devils, and Philly 8 times / year.

Not so crazy when you consider the NHL might just be rewarding Mario. It was a less obvious fix then letting the Rangers have him. He will play in prime time in the East(if they can find someone to televise games nationally) against big attraction teams like the Rags and Flyers.

Mock draft from FoxSports:

27. Colorado Avalanche: Brian Lee, Defense, Moorehead (USHS)

With the potential loss of Adam Foote and having nothing in the cupboard, Lee fills a need. An interesting package of size, speed and skill but has not has proven it against tough competition consistently. He tends to be a risk taker and it causes concern in his defensive game, but that can be corrected with time.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3821944

Mock draft from FoxSports:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3821944

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've watched Lee many times, and I really disagree with this statement. I think he has the skills to be very productive offensively in time (I've said before that he reminds me of a young James Patrick), but I thought he played very conservatively last year--especially after the WJC tournament. Lee is extremely responsible defensively. It almost sounds like FoxSports was describing Jon Ammerman (who I also like, but who plays with more of a Keith Ballard style).

Kermit, I'll agree and disagree with you regarding Lee. I, too, have watched Brian play many times over the last two or three years, and he played more conservatively following the WJ's. But I think that style of play does not suit him. He looked out of place at least twice during the state HS tourney, and was flat out beaten in the championship game once if not twice.

Brian's strength, aside from his physical strength, is his ability to take a puck away from an attacker and immediately start the rush the other way. Whether that is by skating the puck end-to-end (as he's done so beautifully and so successfully) or making a perfect outlet pass, Lee is best when he takes the game to the opponent.

With all the young men on the blue line this season, and all the apparent scoring coming in, it should be fun to see Lee play the transition game. If he's able to carry his style from high school to the WCHA, he'll nab a bunch of assists, and make for some pretty astounding highlights.

#$%& NHL has still learned nothing from the damage of the strike as the draft this coming weekend will be a closed door event (invitation only) at the Westin Hotel. Now that I am in Ottawa I was hoping to attend the event at the Corel Center and I was going to wear my Sioux Jersey and shout my support for Lee. Way to think of the fans once again Bettman you sawed-off loser!

How can TSN have Andrew Cogliano going number 18?  :D  That makes me question their mock draft and the validity of Lee going number 13.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a lot of strange quirks in different mock drafts. Cogliano is a first rounder in one and excluded entirely on others. Lee goes as high as 11th overall and as low as 15th overall. Johnson goes as high as 2nd overall and as low as 6th overall.

Really, the only consensus pick is Crosby at #1. This draft is going to be odd. I wouldn't be surprised if Lee cracks the top 10 and, likewise, I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped down to the later half of the first round. WHo knows what is going to happen.

Maybe Phoenix will go off the board and draft Vandie :lol:

I wonder which one of our recruits New Jersey will draft?

I found this about Brian Lee on NHL.com regarding the top North American prospects.

Brian Lee -- Defenseman Brian Lee is the best player coming out of Minnesota this year and the only high-school player chosed for Team USA at the 2005 World Junior Championship. He also is the 15th-ranked skater among North American prospects by the NHL's Central Scouting Service. Lee, a 6-foot-3, 220-pound right-hand shot, played last season with his Minnesota high-school Moorhead Spuds and later the USHL Lincoln Stars. Lee is the 2005 Minnesota "Mr. Hockey" and the Associated Press Player of the Year.

The Spuds were undefeated in section play and 25-2-2 overall, but they were upset in the state finals. Lee had three assists in 12 regular-season games. He had two goals and three assists in the playoffs but the Stars were knocked out in four games. Lee has committed to the University of North Dakota this fall.

According to CSS, Lee is a very strong skater both forward and backwards with remarkable balance and mobility. He is an upright skater who takes short, quick strides when starting from a standstill. He has plenty of acceleration when needed and can lead the rush. He has very good hands and playmaking ability. He has patience and poise on the power play.

Lee has a very good wrist shot from the point and finds his teammates in traffic with a smooth passing touch. He's a smart player who sees the ice well and takes advantage of plays developing in front of him. Lee, the Spuds' team captain, leads by example. He has a calm, confident manner and takes control in bad situations. He is very good one-on-one and is well positioned.

Ryan Stoa, a Gopher recruit, is another player listed.

http://www.nhl.com/futures/2005draft/na_prospects072705.html

• 2 years later...
I would have took Zajac at #5 over Wheeler anyday. Maybe thats why the Devils have won the cup 3 times in the last 10 years and Phoenix is Phoenix.

I was trying to pat myself on the back and Im not Tech Savy enough to put this on the Wheeler thread, but almost 3 years later it show that I was right and if you look at this original post, you can look at the following post of a Gopher protecter (but at least He didnt slam Zajac). My point is the scouts in Phoenix failed and once again were outsmarted by the Devils.

Th original post is on page one of this thread post #13