SiouxSports.com Forum

See ya later Matt Greene

pro17

I am hopeful that Matt stays, but I really think that he will most likely leave. However, in 2003-04 onlyabout 14 teams were below the cap of $39 million (before the salary roll back), and the Oilers being one of those teams. I see those 14 teams the ones who will be eating up those players that will be released by high revenue teams. Could it be possible that the high revenue teams will be the ones having to fish into there minor league teams and prospects pool to fill empty voids left by high priced talent they can't afford leaving and lower revenue teams keeping their prospects in the minors or college? The Oilers are one of the teams the will definately not have to cut any players to be under the salary cap. Just a thought.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hopeful that Matt stays, but I really think that he will most likely leave. However, in 2003-04 onlyabout 14 teams were below the cap of $39 million (before the salary roll back), and the Oilers being one of those teams. I see those 14 teams the ones who will be eating up those players that will be released by high revenue teams. Could it be possible that the high revenue teams will be the ones having to fish into there minor league teams and prospects pool to fill empty voids left by high priced talent they can't afford leaving and lower revenue teams keeping their prospects in the minors or college? The Oilers are one of the teams the will definately not have to cut any players to be under the salary cap. Just a thought.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the most part, I believe you are correct. This salary cap, for the short term, is not going to be very good for those high paid players that are out there, but it is going to be good for the minors players who want to make it to the NHL because, in many areas, the big playersp riced themselves off the team. Detroit is one example. They'll but cutting and, if possible, trading as much as they can to get rid of salary and replace it with young AHL and other talent. Other being that there is a good chance that Jimmy Howard (Maine) could jump right to third string goaltender for the wings).

How will this affect Greene? Who knows. I do know that, as defensive prospects go, Greene is their #1 prospect (not counting goaltenders as defensive prospects). They've also tried to convince Greene to sign last year. WHo knows.

And here's an article that is interesting. HOckeysfuture thinks wrote this article with 2003 draft picks. They've basically went down all thirty teams and, if you are a first or second round unsigned prospect (with one exception), they think they are all going to be signed. This means that BC will lose two, Michigan will lose one, we will lose one (Smaby), Denver could lose Carle, CC could lose Stuart and maybe Sterling, and the list goes on.

This means that BC will lose two, Michigan will lose one, we will lose one (Smaby), Denver could lose Carle, CC could lose Stuart and maybe Sterling, and the list goes on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophers had a couple of young players offered contracts too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophers had a couple of young players offered contracts too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The article is confusing. At the top it implies all 2003 prospects need to be signed. In the listings, they indicate which ones should be and which ones might not be signed. Confusing.

Also, imagine the hurt that would happen to MSUM if Backes was signed like hockeysfuture suggests.

College players drafted in 2003 do not need to sign. Even with the new CBA, a team that drafts a player that is in or goes to the ncaa does not have to sign them during the 2 year period. If you go major junior and a team does not sign you in 2 years that team loses you rights. European players were except from this rule in the old CBA. With the new CBA they are currently making a new deal with the International Ice hockey federation. The Russians are fighting this.

I don't know if this means anything, but I was just on Hockeys Future website, and looking at Matt's profile. I know a coupke of weeks ago they had his future showing as 2005-2006 turning pro and 2006-2007 for going to the NHL. Now it is showing 2006-2007 turning pro and 2007-2008 going to the NHL. It was updated on the 18th. This is what is says:

Future

It is not a certainty that Greene will wait until graduation to turn professional. Some Oiler scouts believe Greene possesses the skills to be playing pro hockey now and would only need a short stint in the AHL, perhaps a single season, before he is ready for the NHL.

Target Pro Year: 2006-07 Target NHL Year: 2007-08

I think Jeff Woywitka is the telling part of that trade. He and Greene were going to be the cornerstones on defense for the Oilers for many years to come. Now it looks as though they will be depending on Greene even more. This trade kind of surprised me. Seems like they gave up too much possibly.

I don't understand why they want Pronger.  He is very over-rated.  Even for a big guy, he just uses his stick on people.  I don't think he is effective when the refs make the penalty calls.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Plus Pronger is injury prone. I am surprised by this trade as well. A good trade for the Blues. Well the inevitable will soon happen. My guess is he will be signed by the 20th of August. He would have made a HUGE difference on the blue line experience wise. It would have helped cover some of the youth. Hopefully Finley does not copy Greene's problem of getting the dumb needless penalties. Although with his size I think that is a lot to hope for.

The Oilers' GM on the Pronger deal:

"We've got Matt Greene hopefully coming out of North Dakota, we traded Tommy Salo last year for Tom Gilbert, who's at Wisconsin, and we drafted Taylor Chorney and Danny Syvret this year," said Lowe. Syvret,the London Knights captain, is ready to play in the NHL now, so this opens a spot for him.

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjou...154ede33&page=2

The word he used "hopefully" makes me wonder.  Maybe I just don't want to believe that Matt will be gone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate to say this, but I don't think it's ever looked this good for anyone to leave early. I don't think even Hale had this kind of offer from New Jersey.

Let's face it: If Greene were to jump now, there is a VERY good chance he could start the year in the NHL. That's a better deal than even Zach got, despite the fact that Matt may not get as much money as Zach did.

I don't want Greene to leave, but he's got to look out for himself, and, if I were Matt, the situation's never looked better for him at the enxt level.

I don't understand why they want Pronger.  He is very over-rated.  Even for a big guy, he just uses his stick on people.  I don't think he is effective when the refs make the penalty calls.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pronger is a horrible hockey player.

Dave Hakstol was just on with Tim Hennesy talking hockey of course. Hak said as of right now, Matt Greene is coming back this year. He has been working out with the team, expecting to come back. He did say it would be a long two weeks and that things could change in that time. But for now they are going forward with him coming back. MG is also Jonesy's best man.

I didn't hear Hakstol on the radio, but I did hear Hennessy's summary of what they discussed. Hennessy didn't sound very hopeful that Greene would stay at UND for another year. He thought the deal Edmonton made for Chris Pronger increased the need for the Oilers to sign Greene. In any event, he said plans had been made to play next season without Greene.

I don't understand why they want Pronger. He is very over-rated. Even for a big guy, he just uses his stick on people. I don't think he is effective when the refs make the penalty calls.
Plus Pronger is injury prone. I am surprised by this trade as well. A good trade for the Blues.

Pronger is a horrible hockey player.

Are you serious? WOW. Yeah, I know, I know. He's widely regarded as the best defenseman on the planet, but he sucks. Makes perfect sense.

I agree with PCM. I highly doubt Hak would come on the airwaves while Greene hasn't yet signed and said "Nope, Greene isn't coming back."

No one would be surprised when he does go pro, even if it happens today or tommorrow. But I would be surprised if Hakstol didn't think of the school first and pro careers second. As far as he is concerned, Greene is coming back until the ink dries on the contract.

That's my take on it.

I agree with PCM.  I highly doubt Hak would come on the airwaves while Greene hasn't yet signed and said "Nope, Greene isn't coming back."

No one would be surprised when he does go pro, even if it happens today or tommorrow.  But I would be surprised if Hakstol didn't think of the school first and pro careers second.  As far as he is concerned, Greene is coming back until the ink dries on the contract.

That's my take on it.

I also expect Greene will be gone. My assumption is that Hakstol says Greene is coming back because that is the position Greene is taking in his $ negotiations. Hak's just helping him out.