SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL CBA movement?

The Sicatoka

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=127314

The Globe and Mail reports that the NHL and NHL Players' Association have agreed on a formula for a salary-cap system based on team-by-team revenue.

The salary-cap issue was seen as the biggest hurdle in talks for a new collective bargaining agreement.

However,

There are several issues to iron out, but sources in both camps believe there's a chance a deal could be done before July. Still, both sides also concede there are potential pitfalls that could prevent an agreement from being reached.

Potential pitfalls from both sides:

NHL:

Owners: "Man, now we have to pay these guys? I was just getting comfortable with the lockout!"

What's the hurry? June, January... as long as it is done by the time a month that begins with a J has concluded, that's great.

What's the rush? ALl those meetings only made my fantasy baseball team go into disrepair. I'd rather sit at home and watch Sportscenter.

NHLPA:

Man, we got jacked! I'd rather live high off the hog riding some bus for the Ice Dorks of Dumberstraffen in the German Tier V Semi-Elite Senior Citizen League!

Wha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are we settling for something we could have done 6 months ago? Oh yeah, we're spoiled brats.

FILIBUSTER!!!!!

Why are we settling for something we could have done 6 months ago?  Oh yeah, we're spoiled brats. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they were smarter they could have settled months ago for more $$$.

One good thing about the lockout is I watched lots more college hockey and was able to attend the World Juniors. I prefer the attitude of the young players over the older, over-paid spoiled brats.

ESPN is probably kicking themselves starting ESPNU at this time. They already show most of ESPNU's coverage on ESPN and very few people actually get to watch ESPNU. But consider that they now have dropped the NHL (though I think they'll get it back) and now their golden child of the NBA will be going to a lockout. I heard David Stern on the radio the other day saying they need to get a deal done now.

At the same time ESPN gets better ratings for non-sports like poker than anything else, so maybe they'll be happy coming up with more crappy programs.

Personally I think hockey will only prove to every other league that you can survive an extended lockout. Meaning the NBA is next. Then I believe baseball is up again and even the NFL is having problems due to non-gauranteed contracts and what not.

I hope hockey gets something done since I'm moving to the Cities and won't have anything better to do than go to games. I like the sport too much to boycott it. It also sounds like the big nets they tested the other day really worked.

There is a rumor that Center Ice will be free next year.  I doubt it, but I thought I would mention it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With no national television deal next season and contrary to what some of the owners want you to believe, some are starting to lose a lot of money due to this lockout, so even though I would love the Center Ice package to be free, I will believe that when I see it.

NHL still has a year or two left on their contract with NBC, but that's literally for less than 25 % of the games that ESPN even covered, which isn't much to begin with.

So, yes, there is a TV contract still in place, but it's not like it actually is a good one.

NHL still has a year or two left on their contract with NBC, but that's literally for less than 25 % of the games that ESPN even covered, which isn't much to begin with.

So, yes, there is a TV contract still in place, but it's not like it actually is a good one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"NHL/NBC TV Deal

Better get used to more Saturday afternoon hockey. NBC signed a deal with the NHL today to broadcast seven regular season games, some playoff games during a Saturday afternoon timeslot, and the last 2 to 5 Stanley cup games during primetime"

I had forgot about that deal, but what a joke that is, I'd hardly call that a major tv deal at all.

"The deal calls for no up front rights fees for the league, which is wrapping a deal with ABC/ESPN that paid it $600 million over five years. NBC and the NHL will share revenues, but only after the network makes a profit. In other words, there is no guarantee the league will get any money"

Wow, I didn't realize how bad this deal was until looking into it. No up front money, no guarantee of any money, and with no money coming in from ESPN next year, the NHL is really going to take a hit financially.

"The deal calls for no up front rights fees for the league, which is wrapping a deal with ABC/ESPN that paid it $600 million over five years. NBC and the NHL will share revenues, but only after the network makes a profit. In other words, there is no guarantee the league will get any money"

Wow, I didn't realize how bad this deal was until looking into it.  No up front money, no guarantee of any money, and with no money coming in from ESPN next year, the NHL is really going to take a hit financially.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For those of you unaware the NHL does have one other TV deal, and it rocks. They have a contract with HDnet which shows select games in HD. I would look for this deal to be expanded. I also heard a rumor that center ice may be available in HD starting next season. This would be absolutely great.

I love pro hockey, but don't like to watch it on TV unless it is in HD.

The NHL and/or individual teams would probably be better off striking deals with regional cable systems, satellite carriers and local TV stations, than relying on ESPN and its proclivity to show spelling bees, poker movies and fat guys lugging cars around. That said, the league will be hellbent on capturing back fans, and I look forward to getting cheap ticket packages for Predators and Blues games. ;):glare: