SiouxSports.com Forum

Canad Inns

bk1

Is this project/development so ugly that it's taboo for discussion?

I just hate to see Grand Forks making long-term, serious community impacting decisions, from a position of desperation. Trust me, my best intentions are what is good for the community, not blowin' this deal up. Probably too late though.

It is ugly however. Of course, this is my opinion. I appreciate that others may disagree.

I do have another guestion, when does Alerus' naming rights deal expire?

Thanks in advance for the input.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this project/development so ugly that it's taboo for discussion?

I just hate to see Grand Forks making long-term, serious community impacting decisions, from a position of desperation. Trust me, my best intentions are what is good for the community, not blowin' this deal up. Probably too late though.

It is ugly however. Of course, this is my opinion. I appreciate that others may disagree.

Local Boy:

What have been your alternatives? As far as CANAD, if the city-CANAD deal was such a give-away, why would the financials have taken so long to be put in place? By the opposite token, if a consortium of banks were in the end willing to loan CANAD $50 million, isn’t that evidence that a CANAD INN/water park has more than a reasonable chance of being profitable? The city I live in, with four times the population and seven times the regional population, has been trying to lure developers to build a indoor/outdoor water park for almost a decade now. Most cities GF’s size to five times larger would kill to have a development like the Canad/water park. With the CANAD and water park, GF will be that much more attractive from an amenities standpoint to new business and new people. If you are a business person in GF, that can only be good for your long-term future.

In my view, if the city projects that really need more discussion are the city water treatment plant and the landfill issue.

Sorry that I haven't had a chance to respond...I'm very busy with work. 'Tis a busy season...and someone has to make the donuts.

Actually, I don't have time to respond at this time. I am curious however...

Was the Journey show at The Alerus the first in-house promoted show executed with the new promotions fund? The reason I ask is, I heard that it bit the big one. Hate to see that!

How much of the fund was blown?

Glad I'm not the only one that was confused with Bisonguy's post. The "city of grand forks" has nothing to loss in any of this Canad Inn deal. Only positives.

That's why if they don't want to build a movie theatre...who cares, so what. Let them amend the contract / build / whatever they want, along with the tax breaks.

It is also important to remember the arena side of the Alerus makes money (or at least did back a few years ago that I remember) but the convention side that losses it.

Maybe I took it completely out of context, but it sure sounded like KVLY reported about a month or two ago that the city would be responsible for any losses from the hotel/waterpark.

If this was truely the case, every hotel chain in North America would have wanted to build here. If you have a guarantee from the city that they will cover any losses, who wouldn't want to build here?

It is also important to remember the arena side of the Alerus makes money (or at least did back a few years ago that I remember) but the convention side that losses it.

To support my claim:

Much of the loss was apparently due to the money-losing convention side of the business. The arena side, which includes concerts, was ahead by $206,000.

This just in from the construction community in Fargo. The Canad Inn's general contractor has authorized subs. to begin shoping for building supplies. Construction should be starting as soon as the frost liftsl!! Although owners have announced that they will not be open for the 2004 WJC in Grand Forks. :D;)

Missed it by that much! ;)

Just to clear the air. I sent an e-mail to Mayor Mike Brown and a few of the City Councle members. Here is what my e-mail said:

I just had a quick question pertaining to the water park that is planned for the Canad Complex. Some people have stated that the City of Grand Forks is subsidizing it and has agreed to cover any loses obtained by the Canad Corp. due to the water park. I would like to know if the City is financially involved in any way with the Canad Inn or the attached water park other than the Property Tax breaks and the advertising agreement.

Thank You

This is a reply that I received from Hal Gershman:

Absolutely false.

I really appreciate your bringing this to my attention. You stated it right. We are giving a 5 year tax abatement on the hotel and the water park plus the ad dollars over 5 years. The ad expenditures need to be approved by the CVB, Alerus Center and the city because we want the ads to also promote the city and events here.

The city has NO financial interest in the hotel or the water park.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to get in touch with me. Again, I really appreciate your bringing this to my attention.

All the best for a wonderful Holiday Season and New Year.

Hal Gershman

Note the sentence: "The city has NO financial interest in the hotel or the water park."

• 3 weeks later...

GF city asked to foot bill (GF Herald)

Could they write a more misleading headline? No wonder those altruistic champions of the G.F. taxpayers that depend on online newspaper articles get confused...

The city of Grand Forks is being asked to foot a $491,000 bill for the Canad Inns hotel to be built next to the city-owned Alerus Center.

It's not an entirely unexpected amount as it does pay for the utility connection and physically linking the two buildings, as stipulated in the lease agreement signed back in 2004.

The city of Grand Forks is being asked to foot a $491,000 bill for the Canad Inns hotel to be built next to the city-owned Alerus Center.

It's not an entirely unexpected amount as it does pay for the utility connection and physically linking the two buildings, as stipulated in the lease agreement signed back in 2004.

Not sure why the Heraldo used this headline for the issue to be discussed by council this evening? If interested in reading more about the issue to be discussed at the council meeting go to the city website and click on the city council. Agendas and weekly packets are available to the public.

www.grandforksgov.com

• 3 weeks later...

The building permits will be ready for Canad on Wednesday and there is a crane on sight. I didn't think this hotel would ever be built. I think the design has changed from the one they have on their website (old rendering) so I e-mailed the contact person on the Grand Forks project. He said the website should be updated within the next month or two.

It also appears the Hollywood Theater project is dead in the water. I e-mailed the North Central Region Manager for the Carmike Theaters and asked him if they cancelled their renovation project for the Carmike 10 just because all of their perceived competition didn't pan out. He replied back to me that the project was "simply" put on hold and he thought it may be revisited down the road. He mentioned that the box office revenues were down 10% nationwide. I am not holding my breath on this project, either. :p

It also appears the Hollywood Theater project is dead in the water. I e-mailed the North Central Region Manager for the Carmike Theaters and asked him if they cancelled their renovation project for the Carmike 10 just because all of their perceived competition didn't pan out. He replied back to me that the project was "simply" put on hold and he thought it may be revisited down the road. He mentioned that the box office revenues were down 10% nationwide. I am not holding my breath on this project, either. :p

When it looked like Grand Forks was going to get a couple of new theaters, Carmike 10 announced plans to renovate their existing theater. Now, because of lack of competition, they say that it is put on "hold"? That is funny stuff.