SiouxSports.com Forum

USHL Draft

spfreak

Tri City took Matt Lundin I believe although it says Matt Lindin. If that is Matt Lundin why did he leave Maine? He was a freshman and would likely get a lot of time next year (if Howard leaves). Maybe he just wasn't happy there.

That's what I was wondering. I guess with the fact that he got taken first overall says that he will likely not play at Shattuck, unless Des Moines decided to pull a Tri City American maneuver with Okposo in Toews place. :D

I'm no expert on these drafts but it seems strange that a team would take a very high pick on a player unless they thought he was going to play for them. Means nothing but seeing Okposo, Marto, Dowzak et al taken so highly makes me think these guys are more than "flyers" that the drafting team HOPES they will get for next year.

It's surprising to me to see guys like Dowzak and Okposo leaving Shattuck early for the USHL.

Congrats to Marto - he was picked before some very highly regarded D - namely Olimb and Hummel.

Hopefully my cousin and some other MHD players get picked up. I'm surprised nobody jumped on Cory Johnson, I think he would be a very good player in the USHL.

Thats Nice jloos

Whos your Cousin again ?

Did he get drafted yet ?

This is all new to me - But Fun & interesting

How high in the draft have other UND(present & past), former USHL players, been drafted ?

Jordan Willert from Minot hs was taken 153 to tri city.

Jacques Lamoureaux from Bismarck NAHL was taken 138 to sioux falls.

No moorhead players taken?? kinda wierd

A couple jets players taken in Trevor Bruess and Creighton Scarpone. Taken 48th and 50th respectively.

I searched the GF Herald site for "Marto" to see if there was a story about the USHL draft, and I found that the kid must indeed be a heck of an athlete. In the last week, these are the mentions in the paper:

May 6: Jake Marto had three hits and Brandon Kreitinger got the complete-game victory in Game 2.

May 8: Marto was 6-for-8 with a home run and Dan Cary 4-for-7 on the day for the Knights.

May 11: Jake Marto was the winning pitcher and also went 3-for-4 at the plate.

May 13: Grand Forks Central's Jake Marto was the second overall pick in Thursday's United States Hockey League draft.

Jordan Willert from Minot hs was taken 153 to tri city.

Jacques Lamoureaux from Bismarck NAHL was taken 138 to sioux falls.

No moorhead players taken?? kinda wierd

A couple jets players taken in Trevor Bruess and Creighton Scarpone. Taken 48th and 50th respectively.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was surprised at the number of NAHL players taken. Lee, Ammerman, Fisher, and Vandevelde were already drafted, Becker is playing college hockey next year. I was surpised Loos, Johnson, Hittle, and Deutz were not selected, or at least one or two of those players. From what I understand being drafted doesn't mean much - you still have to try out. I know some of those Moorhead players have been invited to multiple tryouts.

Looking at this years draft it appears the NAHL is becoming a feeder program for the USHL. I guess they want kids to play a year or two of juniors before playing a year or two of juniors :D

jloos, could any of those players you mentioned be on a USHL team's protected list? If so they wouldn't be eligible to be drafted. I think they said protected lists will be posted a couple of weeks after the draft is completed.

jloos, could any of those players you mentioned be on a USHL team's protected list?  If so they would be eligible to be drafted.  I think they said protected lists will be posted a couple of weeks after the draft is completed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure. I'm just learning how this system works - it was a lot different 10 years ago.

My cousin and another Moorhead player were picked up by Bozeman of the NAHL. I think to be on the protected list you had to have already been drafted - but that is just a guess on my part.

People in Omaha seem to dig hockey, but I also wonder if they will be able to support a D1, AHL and USHL team.

Didn't know where to put this, but this seemed like logical place.

Do you guys think that the Lancers and/or UNO's hockey team will take a major hit with Calgary's AHL club going to Omaha?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lancers relocate if the AHL club makes a big splash, and starts taking their markets. UNO would probably see a dip too, except when they host Michigan or perhaps Dame.

Isn't the AHL putting a club into Des Moines? I vaguely recall that "rumor".