SiouxSports.com Forum

DU's Robbie Bina Tribute

airmail

How do you view the "28" stickers worn on the DU helmets this past weekend?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. How do you view the "28" stickers worn on the DU helmets this past weekend?

• Tasteful
    • Tacky

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So UND's american flag is for Bina? Or what do they have for Bina.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They've had the flag for the year, I believe to show support for our troops - the sport's info guy (Benson?) served in Iraq - nothing for Bina (well, picture/sweater-jersey in the lockerroom)

I have mixed emotions about it. Maybe DU did it for the right reasons and maybe they didn't. I really don't know their motivation.

However, I would have had far more respect for Gwozdecky and DU in this matter if he would have benched Paukovich for the remainder of the game -- 5-minute major or not.

Putting him back on the ice invited trouble and sent the message that Gwozdecky tolerated that type of play. It makes me wonder how much of what's happened since then has been under pressure from the WCHA and/or lawyers.

By the way, did anyone else notice from their tape of the game that shortly after the hit on Bina, you can see Brad Berry rushing behind Hakstol and angrily shouting something toward the Denver bench? I wonder what that was about.

I don't know if Tacky is the right word for it, but it definitely wasn't done in a tasteful manner.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think "questionable" might have been a better choice of words for the poll.

Like some, I have mixed feelings too. I think the intentions may be good, but IMO they don't seem sincere. To me it looks like it was the "PC thing to do" and they went with it.

It is better than nothing. At least they made some sort of attempt. I wonder if it was one of the players or coaches who suggested it or if someone higher up in the AD or school decided on it. You have to wonder how much it means to the players, that's the big question.

I think what makes it appear tacky is the way the team/coach handled the situation immediatly after it happened. When you see the player acting like he didn't do anything wrong and hear people say he's not reallly hurt, it's hard to switch gears and feel like they are doing this out of respect. An example, a few years ago in Lincoln during Nationals, a Compuware player drove an Omaha Lancer into the boards. It was not near as bad as Robbie but the player was taken off on a stretcher. You could tell even in the stands the player was visibly upset. I talked to him afterwards and his comment was " I though I killed him" and he was still shaken by what had happened. While I could have branded him a goon or a cheap player, his compassion for the injured player showed me that it was an accident and he honestly didn't mean for it to happen. I didn't see any of this from GP. So while the gesture is nice, you start to wonder the motivation behind it.

Why not both?

I don't think it was tacky for the rest of the team to wear 28 on their helmet, but I think it is tacky for Paukovich to do so.

No, he didn't intend to injure Bina, but he sure took his time to feel bad about it. And besides, hate the troll if you like, but Gwoz was the only one to actually care enough to contact Robbie Bina.

I'm not convinced Paukovich is anything but a goon or a thug. However, time will factor that.

I can't hold this terrible event against Denver University itself, or the other players of the team itself. I hold the league, Adam, Paukovich, and Gwozdecky responsible. What the rest of them do is really not relevant to the issue.

This is my opinion.

I wouldn't say tacky (although I did vote that way), I would say that it came off as a half-hearted attempt to make up for a lack of timely compassion. I still contend that Punkovich should not have played again this season (I told myself I wasn't going to b!tch about that anymore but I just can't get over the injustice of the whole thing :( ).

&^%$#-#$%^* ball-less commissioner!!!!!! :angry::lol:;)

&^%$#-#$%^* idiot Adam!!!!!! ;);):angry:

That is all.............