SiouxSports.com Forum

Moderation standards

jimdahl

People are questioning what the next two weeks will be like, so here's how I see the world:

1) The board is moderated. Trolls will be dispatched eventually.

2) Disliking UND, claiming some other team is better, or predicting that UND will lose does NOT qualify someone as a troll -- that is legitimate discussion. If you disagree with their post, argue back with why you disagree, do NOT attack the person for being a Gopher fan (filling the board with bickering garbage instead of talk about Sioux hockey is the exact goal of a real troll!)

3) Being a new user with one post in one new thread that reads "hahah sues sux" (particularly after a loss), DOES qualify someone as a troll (notice the lack of any substantive discussion or argument). GDM or I will take care of it; your best bet is to ignore it until we get to it (see #2 above).

4) Merely being unable to spell Sioux or Gophers correctly does not constitute reason for banning; it just makes the poster look young/stupid and thereby weakens their argument. I don't understand why someone would intentionally do that, but we will discourage it if it becomes ridiculous to the point of distracting.

5) New members are very welcome. Stopping new Sioux or Gopher fans from posting on SiouxSports.com during the part of the season when people are most interested would create an old-timers club atmosphere of exclusivity that I'm not interested in. While a lot of the people jumping on the bandwagon now may fall right back off, we're not going to prejudge people for having decided to sign up in March instead of February.

Comments / arguments?

I still recommend temporary mods because new trolls are showing up.

It's an interesting question -- I agree there are a few new Gopher fans showing up, but I don't find most of them to be trolls to the point of being unwelcome (whereas I suspect you're holding them to a different standard). Duey may be the one exception, and he's suspended now, but it took a few posts from him to decide he's not contributing anything.

You can always drop me an email/PM if there's something you think we're missing and we'll take another look at it and reconsider.

It's an interesting question -- I agree there are a few new Gopher fans showing up, but I don't find most of them to be trolls to the point of being unwelcome (whereas I suspect you're holding them to a different standard). Duey may be the one exception, and he's suspended now, but it took a few posts from him to decide he's not contributing anything.

You can always drop me an email/PM if there's something you think we're missing and we'll take another look at it and reconsider.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree I probably have tougher standards, but I could tell Duey was a problem right away. There was also the poster that called everyone losers.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it was pretty obvious to a lot of people that the Phil Kessel thread was destined for idiocy.

hmm....

The topic clearly stated: "Phil Kessel, a gopher recruit, had a good showing at the U-18 Championship and will single handily dominate the Sioux." ;):D

People are questioning what the next two weeks will be like, so here's how I see the world:

1) The board is moderated.  Trolls will be dispatched eventually.

2) Disliking UND, claiming some other team is better, or predicting that UND will lose does NOT qualify someone as a troll -- that is legitimate discussion.  If you disagree with their post, argue back with why you disagree, do NOT attack the person for being a Gopher fan (filling the board with bickering garbage instead of talk about Sioux hockey is the exact goal of a real troll!)

3) Being a new user with one post in one new thread that reads "hahah sues sux" (particularly after a loss), DOES qualify someone as a troll (notice the lack of any substantive discussion or argument).  GDM or I will take care of it; your best bet is to ignore it until we get to it (see #2 above).

4) Merely being unable to spell Sioux or Gophers correctly does not constitute reason for banning; it just makes the poster look young/stupid and thereby weakens their argument.  I don't understand why someone would intentionally do that, but we will discourage it if it becomes ridiculous to the point of distracting.

5) New members are very welcome.  Stopping new Sioux or Gopher fans from posting on SiouxSports.com during the part of the season when people are most interested would create an old-timers club atmosphere of exclusivity that I'm not interested in.  While a lot of the people jumping on the bandwagon now may fall right back off, we're not going to prejudge people for having decided to sign up in March instead of February.

Comments / arguments?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about a "turn-back-the-clock-avatar day" where scantily clad babes are allowed for 24 hours?