SiouxSports.com Forum

Title IX Issues

It sounds like with the dismissal of Coach Mo there has been some former coaches beginning to band together due to all the dismissals in the women's programs as opposed to the men's and it is going to Armacost and the media. Former head coaches of women's sports that have details of how Chaves happily fires coaches on the women's side of athletics but not the men's and also preferential treatment to men's coaches and programs. One of these former coaches has already spoken to the Herald and there seems to be some digging going on around the programs. More details to come.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Coaching (hire/fire) decisions would fall under employment law not Title IX (sex based discrimination), wouldn't they? 

I believe so. Wikipedia says the Title IX does not apply to people employed at schools. That makes me wonder what happens if/when the athletes are considered employees?

Coach Mo & others may have some valid points. A couple men's coaches have gotten some very head scratching extensions while it seems like the women's coaches get the boot pretty quickly.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I believe so. Wikipedia says the Title IX does not apply to people employed at schools. That makes me wonder what happens if/when the athletes are considered employees?

Do I hear the Law of Unintended Consequences howling in the distance? :D 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Coach Mo & others may have some valid points. A couple men's coaches have gotten some very head scratching extensions while it seems like the women's coaches get the boot pretty quickly.

So did Chaves fire Motherwell, Bledsoe, and the other assistant... or did Coach Bernhard make staff changes

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, SD UND said:

So did Chaves fire Motherwell, Bledsoe, and the other assistant... or did Coach Bernhard make staff changes

Agreed, this is up to the head coach not the AD unless another incidents took place. 

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Coaching (hire/fire) decisions would fall under employment law not Title IX (sex based discrimination), wouldn't they? 

Would guess it depends on who is filing.  Not sure a coach could file the Title IX complaint on an individual firing, but team members potential could if there was a pattern of activity that created instability for women's sports that wasn't happening on the mens side.  That seems like it could be pretty difficult to prove, but long shot lawsuits are certainly not rare.

3 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Agreed, this is up to the head coach not the AD unless another incidents took place. 

Initial post claims that there has also been preferential treatment to men’s coaches

37 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Initial post claims that there has also been preferential treatment to men’s coaches

Don't think they would have much to stand on here as there has been WBB HC change within 5 years and Volleyball recently- not sure on other sports

Plus these are assistants that were presumably fired or non renewed by the HC not the AD or University

9 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

In recent years the firings of head coaches have all been on the women's side. Basketball, Volleyball, Golf. Additionally, most of the firings of assistants have occurred in women's sports. How many firings have happened with men's programs despite the poor performances?

Chaves is responsible for the firing of head coaches no doubt. The interesting aspect of this is how several former head coaches are coming together to take this complaint forwards. One other issue is that Chaves and more recently the new SWA are strong arming head coaches of women's sports to axe their assistants but won't do the same with the men's sports. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, HockeyHawk said:

In recent years the firings of head coaches have all been on the women's side. Basketball, Volleyball, Golf. Additionally, most of the firings of assistants have occurred in women's sports. How many firings have happened with men's programs despite the poor performances?

Chaves is responsible for the firing of head coaches no doubt. The interesting aspect of this is how several former head coaches are coming together to take this complaint forwards. One other issue is that Chaves and more recently the new SWA are strong arming head coaches of women's sports to axe their assistants but won't do the same with the men's sports. 

Can you please give us a rundown of the records of the programs that have had firings and those on the men’s side that you think should have followed suit.

30 minutes ago, tnt said:

Can you please give us a rundown of the records of the programs that have had firings and those on the men’s side that you think should have followed suit.

Yeah I’d like to know this as well. A few that I looked up:

Volleyball

Jeremy Tiffin (fired) - 15-63

Mark Pryor (resigned) - 117-58

Basketball 

Travis Brewster (fired) - 128-120

I admittedly don’t follow the other sports very closely and also not that familiar with the assistants in most sports. 

11 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Do I hear the Law of Unintended Consequences howling in the distance? :D 

I don't know enough about whether that's completely accurate, but if it is...I'm sure the folks pushing it are aware and simply don't care.

It's basically revenue sports pushing for money/a piece of the pie. I can't imagine they really care about women's athletics enough to give up the money they think they'll get.