SiouxSports.com Forum

women's soccer

UND92,96

It looks like UND is looking for a soccer coach. Again. link What is the deal here? This will be the 5th different coach for a program that started in 1999. The program has actually done exceptionally well on the field, but why is it that this is the one program at UND that can't keep a coach for more than a year or two?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like UND is looking for a soccer coach. Again. link What is the deal here? This will be the 5th different coach for a program that started in 1999. The program has actually done exceptionally well on the field, but why is it that this is the one program at UND that can't keep a coach for more than a year or two?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why are they looking? Again? Simply because they don't support the coaches that well. How long has the status of an actual field been up in the air? What's the support for an assistant? Heck even UNO has a full-time assistant!

You're right it's downright embarassing that there have been 4 coaches in 6 years. And the program has gone to the NCAA's! First Sedgwick, then Morrison, followed by a bit of a sketchy guy and now Bennett. You would think it would raise a red flag somewhere, anywhere, on campus.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the job. Assuming he applies, the husband of Shantel Rivard, Peter, is the head men's and women's soccer coach at Mayville State. If he got the position and does a good job, you'd assume he'd stick around as long as his wife is the hockey coach.

Taken from Shantel Rivard's coaches bio on the FightingSioux.com.

Rivard

It'll be interesting to see who gets the job.  Assuming he applies, the husband of Shantel Rivard, Peter, is the head men's and women's soccer coach at Mayville State.  If he got the position and does a good job, you'd assume he'd stick around as long as his wife is the hockey coach.

Taken from Shantel Rivard's coaches bio on the FightingSioux.com.

They have Bronson Field. That is their permanent field and they will be playing there for years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you trying to tell me that a patch of grass next to a bookstore qualifies as a field? Come on Bronson is horrible. Have you been to some of the other facilities around the NCC or the region? Do you think it's on par with some of the other facilities at UND? In my opinion it's not even close.

Wasn't part of the rationale for putting the soccer field where it is to keep the area immediately north of the Medical School relatively undeveloped in case the Medical School expanded?

If that was the goal, they've accomplished it.

Wasn't part of the rationale for putting the soccer field where it is to keep the area immediately north of the Medical School relatively undeveloped in case the Medical School expanded?

If that was the goal, they've accomplished it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is also what I have heard. They want to keep space available in case they decided to expand the medical school building. I have a feeling the soccer team will be playing there for many years.

I've thought for years that they should use the same brick skeem that they have for the arena and just put about a four foot high brick wall around the field, put some bleachers on the inside and it will feel more like a field and will actually be able to retain the balls from leaving the area. Not sure what this would cost but it surely wouldn't be anything the athletic department couldn't handle, or a small private donor.

I have heard Brock Thompson name thrown around some. He was also talked about before when the hired grandstrand. For those of you that don't know he is a gem, who did great things for the University of Mary (their first two national tournaments) and Century High School (3 state titles in 4 years). He left ND last spring to be the assistant at Indiana State and I believe they had the best year in the programs history, finishing tied for second in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Personally, I think he would be best hire, if indeed he is interested.

If reference to Mayvilles record last year, the women were 3-12 and the men were 4-10. What was the reason he left UND? It seems that being an assistant at UND would be better than the head gig at Mayville?

Does anyone know what kind of a time frame they are looking at? Didn't Bennett get named something like 2 weeks before preseason started?

If reference to Mayvilles record last year, the women were 3-12 and the men were 4-10. What was the reason he left UND? It seems that being an assistant at UND would be better than the head gig at Mayville?

On the surafce it would seem that way but when administrators look at resumes those with HC experience get lumped into one pile and those without HC experience get tossed in the garbage.

Now that Rivard can list HC experience on his resume, even though the teams were a combined 7-22 last year, he'll survive the first cut.

Face it HC's have much more responsibility than AC's. Even when you compare Mayville State to UND.

I agree, I think that we need a new coach with HCing experience. The learning curve of hiring an assitant would be too great. How long do you expect Mrs Rivard to be around? The biggest thing the women's soccer commitee needs is stability and some commitment from administration. We have had a very good program, but I want the adm. to realize that this could be a good program on the national level with a little stability and commitment.

With that said, my vote still goes to Brock Thompson with three years of head coaching experience and two national tournament appearences, if indeed he is interested. He has spent many years in ND so I would assume that if he is interesting in coming back it is for long term. But I do agree we need someone with head coaching experiene and Rivard should make the first cut because of this.

I agree, I think that we need a new coach with HCing experience.  The learning curve of hiring an assitant would be too great.  How long do you expect Mrs Rivard to be around?  The biggest thing the women's soccer commitee needs is stability and some commitment from administration.  We have had a very good program, but I want the adm. to realize that this could be a good program on the national level with a little stability and commitment.

With that said, my vote still goes to Brock Thompson with three years of head coaching experience and two national tournament appearences, if indeed he is interested.  He has spent many years in ND so I would assume that if he is interesting in coming back it is for long term.  But I do agree we need someone with head coaching experiene and Rivard should make the first cut because of this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would agree with you on Brock - great choice. Someone with HC experience, a person with experience at the next level, someone with a history in ND as well as someone who has clearly demonstrated success. Let's hope he's interested and submits his resume.

I also agree with you that the administration needs to demonstrate some commitment to the program. Granstrand was able to ride on the coat-tails of the recruiting classes from the first two coaches. If they were able to bring in quality players there's no reason why someone with the right level of motivation and level of commitment from the adminsitration can't return the program to the NCAA's.

• 2 weeks later...

The USD coach resigned because her fiance (and former assistant MBB coach) was named Head Mens Basketball Coach at Datoka Wesleyan. It was just released the other day. She that rules her out. Anybody got any new news or thoughts on this. It seems that either the process is very tight lipped or not even moving forward right now (which would be a shame).