SiouxSports.com Forum

women's soccer

UND92,96

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appeared to me that they played a 4-3-3 with three central midfields and kept possession with the 4 backs that played zonal. The seemed to keep the ball better than some of the previous years. The outside backs got forward well at times and it appreared that the forwards were a little slow with their runs. I think that they will miss pfeiffer, but Jenna Barr back from an ACL injury last season did show promise.

I also didn't see Megan Mutrie, but she is on the roster. Does anyone know if she is playing this year or just playing hockey. I think she would add alot to their three front.

Judging by the 2-0 result and last years result against Mary (2-1). It looks as if things should be fine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Women's Soccer Closure

Well the season has ended and I must say that I keep waiting for a drop off of our women's soccer program, because of lack of quality facitlity and the constant coaching changes. I think that most people thought it may come this year, but I think they have a quality coach that was able to be successfull despite a lack of recruiting over the last four years.

I can honestly tell you from watching first hand the last two years that they weren't as talented this year as they were last year, but seemed to make further.

The big question is .. . . .. .

Will Coach Thompson be around for a while? I don't know the answer to that, but my guess is that if there isn't a change in the facility, scholarships, salary, budget and some support given to him its not likely. But one thing is true you don't make the National Tournament being the 3rd coach in 3 years if you aren't quality.

My two sense is that he is making an effort to reach out to key people PARENTS, ALUM, KIDS IN THE COMMUNITY and I would hate to see him go. Buning should make this guy a priority and not take the soccer program for granted.

This program needs stability and commitment. Those things can come from many sources, its come from the player up to this point but now it's time to come from a coach (stay around for a while) and the administration (update facilities and increase scholarships).

I think that Coach Thompson is in it for the long haul, unless something happens to drive him away.

This program is so close to being a consisent performer on the national stage. Their 5 losses all came against teams in the National Tourament. Two of the being to UNO who is in the NCAA Championship game tomorrow and they were one of two teams to beat UNO this season.

The offseason for soccer has always brought negative change for this program it's time for some positive change.

I admit I know nothing about soccer. I'm a UND fan and I keep track of how all the sports are doing. From what I can tell, this program is on the right path. I have heard that the field our favorite squad plays on is similar the grass clearing in my yard where I park my farm machinery. I am about to pose a really stupid question: Why can't they grow grass in Memorial Stadium and play soccer there?

They installed brand new turf after the flood in 1997, I think it was paid for by FEMA or Community Development Block Grant money. It hasn't had a lot of use since, although the football team does use it for practice at times. It would cost a lot of money (probably well into the 7 figure range) to tear out the turf and build a good turf field with proper drainage.

This program was going in the right direction. I feel this season was a dissapointment, they could have been so much better, but the bottom line is no one likes the new coach. There are girls that have quit in the offseason already, and they dont want to play for him at all, it could be a rough next couple of years IMHO.

fightingbooya I totally disagree. I have followed the soccer program here since Ang was the coach here. The fact is that is past year was the closest year the program has had to achieving its potential, you must remember they lost the NCC player of the year to graduation and went further than they did a year ago.

I remember last year there were two girls that quit in preseason as well as four players that didn't return in the spring (Cody Wright, Tessa May-Fraser, Kayla Lightfoot, and Lacey Woolridge) and you claim that this program WAS going in the right direction. I total disagree I think the ship was righted from where it was headed with the constant change. Last year they lost 4 seniors, 4 people that quite in the spring, and two that had quite in preseason. The new coach inherited some very good returning players but also a recuiting class of 5 players and it doesn't take a alot of math to figure out that 5 doesn't replace 10 very well.

What this program needs is stability more than anything. The fact that there was any amount of success in a program with it's third coach in three years is enough that we have nothing to complain about.

The field isn't that bad some some things could go along ways (ie scoreboard, some type of enclosure (fence))

UNO won the DII National Championship today. Not bad that all 5 of the sioux's losses came to National Tournament teams, but two of them came to the the National Champion. The young ladies also were one of two teams to beat UNO. It kind of put the season into perspective a little

• 3 weeks later...