SiouxSports.com Forum

Tournament bracket game

jimdahl

Back for the second year. Link from front hockey page (watch that space for a switch from entries to leaderboard once the games begin).

I notice on USCHO that a few more sites have set up similar things this year, but I still say ours is the coolest :lol: Feel free to spread the word, more entrants = more fun. Last year we had about 250 entries.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to make a fix.  The Minnesota bracket and BC bracket are paired in the semifinals, as are the DU and CC brackets.

Argh. Thanks vindy. That's what happens when you rush; I just punched in the teams by seeding (e.g. W1, MW1, etc...) into last year's bracket ASSUMING the bracket would stay the same shape.

Edit - OK, all fixed now. Unfortunately, that makes any old picks garbage.

If you made picks before this post, redo them. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Argh. Thanks vindy. That's what happens when you rush; I just punched in the teams by seeding (e.g. W1, MW1, etc...) into last year's bracket ASSUMING the bracket would stay the same shape.

Edit - OK, all fixed now. Unfortunately, that makes any old picks garbage.

If you made picks before this post, redo them. Sorry for the inconvenience.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, looking at the overall picks, what a bunch of homers we are... :lol:

You know, what kind of tournament bracket would it be without home team enthousiasm? There's a few things a bracket needs to be successful.

One big upset...since DU has the concensus "easiest" bracket, I've got them not making it out. It happened to UND last year when the worst we did against DU was a 1-1 tie prior to the tourney. I'm hoping they feel arrogant, because they should...they're good. Since seeing them live earlier in the year I continue to think they are the best team in the nation. I thought that about UND last year, but a lot of the time it's who's playing well at tournament time. We'll see what happens, but I'm not saying this to knock DU... just read up a bit. Either UNH or Harvard takes them out.

I think CC gets past MI, eventhough its home crowd and on NHL ice. I think they have what it takes to move on...

Come to think of it (not likely, however) if things go as I rationalize home crowds won't be happy.

Finally, when the home team is playing well it gives a person hope. Maybe, just maybe, we can get the job done. In a one game shot anything can happen.

Here's to a BSU/Mercyhurst final!!! :lol:;) No, really UND/CC. #8

With just over a 100 guesses tallied so far, whither the Gophers?

You'd expect our picks to be quite homerish (I certainly find it hard to predict the Sioux's demise), which influences our picks to be overly pro-Sioux/anti-Gopher. However, having received only 62% of the vote in the first round, Minnesota is the only #1 seed to get less than 98%!

Admittedly, Mercyhurst and Bemidji St are no Maine, but Sioux fans are overwhelmingly happy to give Denver a win over at-large participant, Colgate.

Reflecting a more somber fan base, only 50% of us see a UND championship, compared to ~90% last year.

With just over a 100 guesses tallied so far, whither the Gophers?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's just reflection of the times. The Gophers looked extremely vulnerable this weekend.

The more I look at the brackets, the more I wish the Gophers had a healthy roster. While they could lose to anyone, the three teams I would consider them lucky to beat are all in the other half of the bracket. That means in my opinion the Gophs (and Sioux for that matter) will only really have to get lucky in the Final and that certainly is possible.

I don't see a talent gap facing either the Gophers or Sioux until possibly the championship game. The teams who play best will emerge to Columbus. Getting players back for the Frozen Four would be a huge boost to either the Gophers or Sioux if they can just get there.

You guys sure have the blinders on over here....

The people over on GPL are a little more realistic with their picks....

40.3% --- Colorado College

19.4% --- Denver

16.1% --- Boston College

14.5% --- Minnesota

3.2% --- Cornell

3.2% --- Michigan

1.6% --- North Dakota

1.6% --- Maine

This is out of 62 participant so far.... Appartenly a lot of people feel that it's CC turn this year.

40.3% --- Colorado College

19.4% --- Denver

16.1% --- Boston College

14.5% --- Minnesota

3.2% --- Cornell

3.2% --- Michigan

1.6% --- North Dakota

1.6% --- Maine

This is out of 62 participant so far.... Appartenly a lot of people feel that it's CC turn this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like lots of homerism over there also comparing Sioux vs Gophers. The two have been on very different paths the last couple months. Being realistic, at least the Gophers and Sioux should be reversed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten us. . . . now I actually have a shot of winning an office pool! :0:)

Except for sagard, GE, WPoS (on occasion) and a very few others, can a Gopher fan post over here without being insulting? It doesn't appear so.

No surprise here -- GPL fans think their picks look more realistic, while Sioux fans think SS.com's do. Unfortunately, even once the matches are completed, we won't know, because it will have been a single sample.

I would say UND at 50% is as realistic as UND at 1.6%. KRACH gives them about 5%, which is about 1/10 SS.com's guess but about 3x GPL's guess; however, I'm quite comfortable claiming that KRACH underestimates UND's chances by that 2x gap (by equally weighting losses in January with a March winning streak).

Both samples are super-homerific, as I would expect. They overfavor the schools that they're familiar with that aren't their archrivals (hence the love for CC); understimate their rivals (did anyone pick Wisconsin?), and give no love to the out-of-conference powers (poor Cornell!) Since UND has been on a tear lately and Minnesota has been awful, Sioux fans are willing to overweight UND's chances a little more than Gophers fans overweight UMN's chances, though both are showing the obvious proclivity to align their predictions with their desired outcomes.

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten us. . . . now I actually have a shot of winning an office pool! :0:)

Except for sagard, GE, WPoS (on occasion) and a very few others, can a Gopher fan post over here without being insulting? It doesn't appear so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought I was the 1.6%. ;)

Of COURSE I have to say UND is going to win, but lacking that...I'm really pulling for Colorado College. I like to think they are better than Denver, if not just classier (is that a word?). :sad:

I also have UM losing to Maine..UND beating BU then dropping the regional final to BC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Personally, I think that the BU game will be more challenging that BC. BC is really hurting and not nearly the team that we lost to earlier this season. Recall that though we lost, we absolutly dominated the 3rd period. BU presents a tougher matchup.

Personally, I think that the BU game will be more challenging that BC. BC is really hurting and not nearly the team that we lost to earlier this season. Recall that though we lost, we absolutly dominated the 3rd period. BU presents a tougher matchup.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, other than the UMD series all games were close this and i expect the same this weekend we CAN NOT look over BU.